i just want subjects!

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by lilangelstarz7, Feb 16, 2007.

1. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's a few links
    http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html

This one has for adults and minors
    http://www.accesskansas.org/tourism/docs/photo_modelrelease_form.pdf

If you google 'model release samples' you'll get tons of results.
    Some are pretty complicated in their wording. This may confuse people or make them nervous, thinking that you've got secret motives that are stated within all the fancy-schmancy legal terms.

I usually copy the text into Word or something. Change it a bit and put my logo at the top.

Minors require different forms because the parents have to approve and sign it.

2. NYBrit

NYBrit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks neea. I will definitely look into this. I'm glad this was brought up or I might have had some problems although I was planning on talking to the coaches first to make sure it's ok.

3. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A great place to get free models maybe One Model Place.

There's various levels of models and photographers.
    Try finding someone in your area who wants a free portfolio.
    A free portfolio for her means a free portfolio for you as well.

I tried this but live a few hours from the nearest major city so it would've never worked well.

4. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Markc

I was always under the impression from what I have read that as long as the piece is being sold as editorial or art even though you are obtaining money you did not need a model release. It was only when the person in the picture was being associated with a product or business. Which would mean in the case of selling the picture to the mother it would be as 'art' and not require a release. (Will go back to see if I can find some of the sites.. read the one you quoted but thats the problem with law.. all sorts of ways to see it)

5. Majik Imaje

Majik Imaje TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you Zedin !!

Standing, clapping, cheering.. that is Zactly what I am talking about!

I remember what I read.. about the laws in Alaska I just don't have any links to it.

I guess it is best said. by.. certain laws apply to WHAT your trying to sell.. news, advertising,

or the words I use in my gallery and the most important word in my gallery is Educational (which puts it in a whole new category)

I have an Educational Fine Art lifestyle / culture gallery and I do not need any model releases even though I sell photos of people!

if they were to go ito advertising then that is different

6. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Either way.. no matter what the laws say about 'editorial' work or not... If you want to be seen as a professional and not a stalker then it'd be best to at least talk to people. Give them your business card and website address.
    Personally... I'd always get a release. I wouldnt want parents phoning me up all mad that their kids picture is online.

I put passwords on any online family albums that have pictures of young kids because I know their mothers would prefer it that way.

7. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, where did this guy, Majik Imaje come from? What a breath of fresh air.

Majik, you and MarkC are on opposite ends of the spectrum. He's afraid of being sued all the time, you know that you are doing nothing wrong, so you're not worried.

Also, Majik, with all those stories I have just read, I think you should post a small version of that $36,000 image of the crane. 300x200 would be fine...

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Afraid of being sued all the time? Give me a break. What the heck's happened with the board lately? So many people are getting snotty. Why do you have to be insulting?

Where are your references? You call me afraid, and yet you don't back up your contention with anything we can actually talk about.

And just to clarify, I'm not saying that people can't take images. You can take pictures of just about anything you want. Snap away. It's when you try to use a person's likeness to make money that it becomes an issue. Why do people have so much trouble with that distinction?

Majik, as far as I know, education purposes are for teaching, not making money, so I don't see how putting the word "education" on your gallery applies to this.

Zedin, there may be an exception for fine art type sales that I'm not aware of. That does seem to be different from taking an picture of someone and then trying to sell it to them though. That's about a service and commodity, not art.