I know better...

birdfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay for the 4th different time now I have been asked to shoot a wedding for a friend, family member, or co-worker. And 3 different times I have politely declined. I have not responded to the 4th individual yet. But I know better, so I don't know why part of me keeps wanting to give it a shot.

I know it is easy to get caught up in all the oohs and aahs you get from friends, family, and co-workers on how great your photos are. But when I come on here for C&C I realize how little I actually know about photography. I admit I was one who thought it was as easy as buying a nice DSLR and BAM better pictures automatically, and that is FAR from the case.

The thing is none of these individuals have a big budget for a photographer, so they are looking for someone inexpensive. And if I don't do it, then they will just find someone else, possibly with less experience and knowledge than me. They have seen my work here- www.brandonbass.smugmug.com and they obviously like it enough to have asked me to do their wedding.

So since they have seen my photos and know they quality of work they would receive, does that make it okay even though I have no experience? I mean I know everyone has to start somewhere. And I know I just need to shadow other wedding photographers for now or even offer to be a 2nd or 3rd shooter until I'm ready.

I think it's just because I want soo bad to make a little cash, but after typing all this, I hear how silly it sounds. And ultimately I do know better.

I think that you have answered your own question - there are times when you can just "fake it 'til you make it" and there are times when you can't. It would appear that this is one of those times that you can't. Ultimately, it is your choice, so you might want to sit down with the couple and discuss the pros and cons with them - are they personal friends? - what will they do if you decline -> better or worse solution? How big is the wedding? Personally, I would be tempted if it is a very small wedding - large wedding I wouldn't even touch with a ten foot tripod. A lot of this is really about planning - knowing what you have to do - make lots of lists - and then doing it. OTH, you may not even have the equipment - two cameras, different lenses, two or more flash units, triggers, reflectors, an assistant - etc., etc. That is one way to get out of it, tell them that you do not have the required equipment. A lot of your equipment has to be redundant in case one piece fails - imagine what would happen if your camera failed as the bride was walking down the aisle.:thumbdown:

This is just my first take on this whole thing as you haven't really provided enough detail, but in general, I think that your initial reaction is close to the right one. HTH. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

My advice is to do yourself a HUGE favour and just say no! I could go on for a while about all the reasons why this is not a good way to train to be a Wedding Photographer, but I won't because I think you already can guess at a bunch.

By the way, I looked at your web site and I especially love your kid pix!

Okay for the 4th different time now I have been asked to shoot a wedding for a friend, family member, or co-worker. And 3 different times I have politely declined. I have not responded to the 4th individual yet. But I know better, so I don't know why part of me keeps wanting to give it a shot.

I think it's just because I want so bad to make a little cash, but after typing all this, I hear how silly it sounds. And ultimately I do know better.

I've also turned down a few wedding-photography offers for the same reason as you have.
IMO it's not enought to have a nice camera - or even have intermediate knowledge of photography -on an important occasion like a wedding - experience is needed and an ability to adjust to the situation.

I think the right road would be , like you say yourself, being an assistant photographer.

I'm one of those who has done it and lived to tell about it. I can't say that I had any real problems with it. Back in the day I wanted to do it professionally and I used a 2 1/4 with a potato masher. I studied the craft, went to wedding shows, consulted with the clients, went to the rehearsal, proofed the shots, helped them pick out the shots they wanted, ordered the album and put the whole thing together. Lot of work and pretty descent money. My work schedule with my real job got into the way too much and I got interested in computers so I gave it up. In rescent years, I've had some of my friends who's kids have gotten married and could not efford a professional photographer for the pictures. I have taken their pictures as part of a wedding present. Again, a lot of work and everyone else is partying and you have to work.

What are your concerns about doing this?

Trick question there isn't it? lol lots COULD go wrong. Very wrong.

But with that said...I have done 5 weddings myself, all for free except for one who gave me a gift and they all were very pleased. But, they were all friends with the exception of one who lost their photographer a few days before the wedding and none of them expected those "awesome shots" that wedding photographers can get so it worked out fine for me. I had to have a Speedlite flash or I would have been completely screwed. *I* am not happy with the quality of the pictures but the people were so I guess that is what matters. IF the people know and are willing to accept that 95% of the photos might be completely screwed up and there's not likely to be anything extra special then why not...but I would have them ask family and friends to bring cameras too. I wouldn't accept any money for it (unless it's a gift) until you are truly experienced.

But most people here will probably say no, no no don't try it. and for the most part, they're right :) I think you want to try it to see how you do, for the challenge...understandable, but I'd shadow the pros instead.

I would turn it down. Some of the photos on your SmugMug are very nice, like the b&w one of the baby, but if that's the quality that they're looking for in EVERY shot, and you don't feel that you can be that consistent at this point...I wouldn't do it.

Maybe if you offer to do it for free... and KEEP it that way. Just for the experience. OR preferably with a more experienced person actually doing the real shoot, and willing to allow you to shoot 2nd.

After all.. what IF you blow it? What if you get very few images that are keepers... a wedding is a one shot deal! (dont't forget to get them to sign contract, and specifically spell out your inexperience, and that you will do your best but are not liable if things don't work out... because, yes... you could get sued!)

I checked out your Smugmug.. and I suspect you need to calibrate your monitor. Your white balances are all over the place (very few correct). Weddings are indoor usually, and that requires either flash or Higher ISO shooting. Are you good enough with flash to do that comfortably, if it is even allowed? Higher ISO shooting can have major WB issues.. so you really need to work on that. What lenses do you have that will allow quality high-ISO shooting?

Some of your shots are nice (particularly the B&W.. which eliminates the WB issues more or less). But if you do decide to do this.. your client's need to know that you won't be able to provide "professional quality" shots... you just don't have the experience!

If I were you, I would say NO.. but then offer to shoot alongside of whoever they do get.. if it is ok.... but that is all. :)

I think that you have answered your own question - there are times when you can just "fake it 'til you make it" and there are times when you can't.

I think you're absolutely right westernguy.

My advice is to do yourself a HUGE favour and just say no! I could go on for a while about all the reasons why this is not a good way to train to be a Wedding Photographer, but I won't because I think you already can guess at a bunch.

By the way, I looked at your web site and I especially love your kid pix!

Yeah I'm not gonna do it. Thanks for the advice.

had a quick look at your smugmug and 90+% are under exposed and not very well framed

Thanks for looking and letting me know gsgary. Sucks to hear that but it's appreciated. See what I don't get is, majority of the folks that have seen my photos rave about how great they are and tell me how great i am doing. But that's what is killing me because I keep getting a false sense of accomplishment I guess. They are definitely not professionals, nor am I, just your average Joe Schmoe. But that's who my potential clients are, just your average person. They don't know about exposure, WB, etc.

And I am the same way, I look at most of my photos and I think they are pretty dang good. But I obviously don't know about exposure, WB, etc. either. Is that something that I will learn with experience or is it something you just start getting a feel for the more you do it?

When is the wedding? How long do you have to prepare?

I tend to agree with a lot of what WesternGuy has said. To parrot what he has said, at the very least you need a backup body with similar quality lenses/1 or 2 OCFs, triggers, reflectors and maybe even an assistant.

I've taken a peek at your portfolio, and I think you have a lot of room for improvement.

It's the classic folly that a lot of photographers fall into, believing facebook friends and family when they praise all of your images. When you are getting positive feedback on a site like this one here, where everybody will ruthlessly nitpick even the tiniest flaws, then you know that you've graduated to the next level with your photography.

So if it's a small gig, and you feel that you can pin down all the necessary equipment and get a lot better between now and the wedding... I say go for it. There are no re-do's with covering someones "big day" so you've got to feel confident you can produce a consistent level of quality throughout the event. But as you said, we all have to start somewhere. This may be your opportunity.

Between now and then, if I was you, I'd post a lot of images here for CC. I'd soak up that criticism and go apply it in the field. I'd be a sponge, read and learn, and apply it. Before the wedding I'd find out what sort of lighting situations I'll be faced with. Lots of natural light? Fluorescent? Dim lighting? What am I up against? When I know this, then I'll know better how to prepare, and what to practice for. I'd really try to elevate myself to the next level so I wouldn't let down my friend or family member.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back