What's new

I know everyone hates this question, but....

Chris Stegner

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
481
Reaction score
2
Location
Ft. Thomas, KY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I'm the "photo guy" to most of our friends and family they always come to me for camera suggestions.

I have a friend that is looking for a new P&S. They want to spend 200-300 USD but would probably go up to 400 to get more bang for the buck. They will be doing your basic "family" type of shooting.

I'm not asking you guys to do what I don't want to take the time to do..... research cameras that I would not use or buy myself, but I thought I'd throw it out in case any of you have been down this path recently. I know there's dozens of choices out there and I could spend hours & hours trying to compare and decide on something and I'd rather not, if someone else has an idea to help me out. I trust (most) opinions here or I wouldn't ask.

And not to be rude, but let's not turn this into a Brand X beats the hell out Brand Y discussion. That's not my intention.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
 
Besides the obvious exceptions...most P&S cameras are very similar. Actually, many of the important parts are not made by the companies who brand them. For example, it wouldn't be out of the question to have Sony made sensors in Nikon or Canon brand cameras etc.

What I usually tell people, is to go into a camera/electronics store and try out several cameras in their price range. The fit & feel of the camera will be just as important as the features.

And of course, I also tell people to stick to the main photography brands...Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus etc.
 
If they can stretch their budget to $450 they can get an Olympus EPL-1; sort of a hybrid P&S/DSLR. It has a larger sensor and interchangable lenses like a DSLR, with the feel and ergonomics of a point and shoot.

%21CFQcTDgEWk%7E$%28KGrHqJ,%21l4E1FrvjsZ3BNUfP%29T9Mg%7E%7E0_1.JPG
 
This is actually quite a hard question because the choices are so much wider.

I've always used Sony for point and shoot, not by choice, but I do like the UI better than other brands. I also think Sony p&s cameras are geared towards more fun features, family friendly type of set up. Things like panoramic and smile detection are pretty common on many brands, but I think Sony ones do pretty good jobs.
 
This is actually quite a hard question because the choices are so much wider.

I've always used Sony for point and shoot, not by choice, but I do like the UI better than other brands. I also think Sony p&s cameras are geared towards more fun features, family friendly type of set up. Things like panoramic and smile detection are pretty common on many brands, but I think Sony ones do pretty good jobs.

Except for the fact that you can only use SONY parts if anyting goes missing or breaks. Where as other camera's you can use third party knock offs usually.
 
Besides the obvious exceptions...most P&S cameras are very similar.

go into a camera/electronics store and try out several cameras in their price range. The fit & feel of the camera will be just as important as the features.

And of course, I also tell people to stick to the main photography brands...Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus etc.

This.

Any P&S camera $100+ these days is generally pretty good for general use. What it really comes down to is if the user likes the controls of the camera. I've personally used a ton of different P&S these days and I haven't liked certain ones because of the controls. Same applies to Nikon vs. Canon DSLR's. I can't stand Canon controls.

IMO, if your friend really wants to spend near $400 for a P&S, advise them to look into an entry level DSLR. For a couple hundred more, the D3100 is a great camera that can do 1080P video. That's just my $0.02.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom