I know, I know...another Portrait thread for C&C

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out with a friend a couple of days ago to do a quick shoot. I mainly deal with the scenic side of photography, and rarely step foot into portraits. That being said, I'm obviously still pretty new with it. We were shooting down by a river, and right at sunset the wind started to pick up a bit. Hence the reason for the "sex hair" lol. C&C please?

IMG_4702small.jpg

IMG_4776small.jpg

preety model. I feel your crops are a little too tight. #2 would be better with a little more frame camera left.

C&C per req:

These aren't bad at all; I do agree that she needs a little more 'breathing space' in the image, and I think just a bit of of fill light around the hair would have been really beneficial. My only real complaint is with the background; the horizontal lines formed by the sand, scrub, etc are rather distracting.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I love her look in the first one. The pop of color with her fingernails and the glasses with the plain white T make it SO cute! I want you to lighten up her face and darken the background so she pops even more. I don't mind the crop but I tend to like really tight crops, to me it brings more focus on the subject. I know it's a no-no around here, but again it's a subjective thing so for me the tight crop in 1 works. I also think a darker background will help with the horizontal lines cutting across her head.

I like 2 as well but she doesn't look like she has as much personality as in the first pic. She looks pretty but almost bored or just content. I don't mind the chopped arm and leg, and I can see her face more clear on this one. Cute freckles! You can't see them as well in the first pic. This one is a little cool, the first pic has a more golden tone, I would try to maybe bring that into the second pic as well. It's a bit blue, you can see it on her white shirt. Just slightly though.

Good job, you can shoot people, keep it up and try some more.

I'm favoring the second and like mentioned above by Shadowbox, I like a tighter crop to bring focus on the subject. Did a crop to give you an idea of what I saw. Nice shots and glad you took advantage of the light and the subject. To me it is really good that you backed up the shot to give you play on the crop. Just watch your backgrounds etc. and know you will do even better next time. Thanks for sharing.
-
Darkened the background , a little skin smoothing and lit the center a little more as well amnd added a little more blue to eyes.
-
IMG_4776small1cntrIPeyes18.jpg

-
If you add a little warmth it can also change the feeling of the shot.
-
IMG_4776small1cntrIPeyes18W.jpg

Shoot well, Joe

Last edited:
Next time, have her bring some makeup to darken her nose where the bridge of her glasses sit.

I am a big fan of using off camera flash for making outdoor portraits. That way the model is well separated from the background, and really 'pops', making the photo look quite professional.

Wow, great advice so far everyone! Joealcantar, thanks for editing it to give me a little better idea of what I can do with it.

KMH, great advice as always. Neither one of us has an OCF setup right now (she's beginning to get into photography as well), but it is definately on the list.

Sex hair? It is merely a block of indistinguishability, there are no highlights, much less detail.

In #1, the left wrist to first knuckle (her left) is in shadow and looks odd compared to the rest of her arm. The right arm and more so the right fingers look odd as well. She is a very pretty girl, but I think you could present her in a better light. Not as in lighting, but as in presentation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back