I know my nikon d3100 so well im bored

I think the D600 might be a better value proposition than the D800. Seriously...it's 85% of the camera for a lot less money than the D800, and it has a saner MP size...24MP on the D600 would be plenty, for YEARS!!!!! The D7000...seems like a decent APS-C camera to me...

I think that in February of 2013, Nikon will announce a D300s successor model, or maybe a D90 successor model...

My advice??? Well, if you are bored, go out and buy a new LENS. Seriously!!! Buy a new lens!!! It lasts longer than a pair of shoes or a fine handbag, and it's cool!!!

THEN, in a few months, the new Nikon body, or not, will settle itself.

My Gramps gave me his old 35mm Nikon FG. I would prolly like it better if I had a dark room and knew how to process my own film.

it's almost as if the extent of photography is using a camera...

$184908_10150414765125134_5801300_n.jpgThis is my middle daughter. Most of my subjects are them.

I just want to say I wish I had found this forum sooner. I have thought about everything everyone has said and point blank I do not need anything more than what I have. I want a D7000. I want a 85mm f1.4. I only have enough for one right now which should I get first?? Which would you get first and why??

As long as the body had the features I needed, I would always get glass, or flash, or tripod, or software instead/first.

I just want to say I wish I had found this forum sooner. I have thought about everything everyone has said and point blank I do not need anything more than what I have. I want a D7000. I want a 85mm f1.4. I only have enough for one right now which should I get first?? Which would you get first and why??

A good 85mm f/1.4 lens will last for many,many years. Even a cheap one will bring something to your photography. Even the low-cost Vivitar/Bower/Samyang model is not all that bad. Many times over the last 30 years, I have bought myself a new lens. it can be very rewarding and reinvigorating to have a new lens to learn!!! My moeny is for the lens, right "now"...in your specific situation, I think buying another camera to replace a D3100, at this exact time, pre-Christmas 2012, is a bad idea...because (a/a pair of) new model(s) is/are right around the corner...

You can get an 85mm 1.4 3rd-party manual focusing model for $329, or the new Nikkor 85mm 1.8 AF-S G for $429-ish.

Speaking of software I have CS5 and LR 3.5 I have had those about 2 years two and I still find myself looking for videos on how to do something in them. What photo editing softwear are yall using and how user friendly is it. I have not really researched softwear like I do equipment and photogrphy techniques.

Bored? I still don't understand comments like this.
Trying Shooting with a 4x5 Graphic. Anti-boredom controls consist of: Aperture, Shutter speed and focus, and the camera can still out perform me.
You should challenge yourself as a photographer, not the camera

New glass...Now THAT I understand. ;)

Yeah I think I am going to go with new glass first. I still want a new body. I am pretty much sold on D7000 but, in comparison to what I already have im not sure how much of an upgrade that really even is FOR ME. I mean I know the specs. I know its more of a camera. But with new glass will it make that much difference in how I use my camera (non professional). I think after I buy my new glass I will rent the body really compaire shot for shot and see if I really want the new body.

Last edited:
Add flash. You'll discover new things about your camera. Then get the flash off camera. That ought to keep you occupied for another 10 years.

Most reactions

Back