I like to get my pets to pose for me.

Biting my own tongue:

Shea_Golden-Riley-web_0870.jpg

yeah, with many dog shots it's pretty much that you are danged if you do and danged if you don't (at least as far as eyes in focus).

I have seen many photos similar to the ones that Ls3D just posted in which the most common response was, this would have worked better if the nose was in focus as well. And then if both the nose and the eyes are in focus people will say, the background is too distracting, maybe you should use a shallower depth of field.

Biting my own tongue:

Shea_Golden-Riley-web_0870.jpg

I love it! This is fun photography. Any no, I have no comments about DOF, WB, or compostion. It's just plain fun.

Let's get more of these in hear. Let's put our money were our mouth is and show some of these types of shots.

Great Job!

-Nick

It is a just a 1st test snapshot, and that test revealed I was still in tungsten from the night before!

He is a dream to shoot, well after he calms down a bit.. just sits there huffing dog breath like he knows I'm taking a picture :thumbup:

Here is Riley (the poser) and Marley (his sister) in another snapshot while I choose an aperture and exposure compensation for the harsh light.

shea-ruiz-dogs.jpg

I don't shoot people much and was warming up to take these for my mother's xmas party. I was also able to video document the 'puppies' when she brought them home.

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

So here is another pet photograph. Yes I do keep eyes in focus, just depends on the subject.

3196996925_5339498613_b.jpg

This is a very old dog named Amber. The point was to try and capture the look of activity in a rather sedentary dog.

Ls3D,

Those are two beautiful dogs!

-Nick

Okay I'll join in the fun. Mine are just boring studio shots this is the only session I ever had that was just for a dog and no kids involves and it was ROUGH!

3198088494_ccbe5b19f4.jpg

3197243703_4049bdcdb3.jpg

HAHA Technically I should have had a reflector on his right side here but I thought it was funny enough to include in the final images. I have no idea what he is thinking but he looks guilty.
3197242365_afa8dfa88c.jpg

3198086880_585ba65996.jpg

Kathi,

These are great! Also, these are technically difficult. Black dog on a white back groud plays hell with your camera's metering. I think you did a great job!

Personally, the last one just kills me, I love it.

Thanks,

Nick

That's the nice thing about studio lighting. Before placing the dog in the frame I tested several setting with the balck blanket then I didn't have to worry about anything but getting the dog to sit and look. That was a challenge all in it's own!

Okay I'll join in the fun. Mine are just boring studio shots. This is the only session I ever had that was just for a dog and no kids involved and it was ROUGH!

There's gotta be big money in 2-year olds and dogs, if it doesn't drive you nuts first! These are a lot of fun, Kathi. Just curious, did your pics go dark because of Photobucket? I find I have to lighten everything for Photobucket. Here's a lighter one. Do you like it, or does it change the personality of the shot too much?

Kathidogadjusted1.jpg

I actually didnt use photobucket but these are dark. The dog is very black, when he goes in his cage with that blanket you cant see him haha! But the lightening looks good too. I like it.

Here's a snap of my Teddy at 11 weeks. He's playing on a chair (the one he's allowed to destroy) and the black plastic tip is the opposite end of a cat feather toy. Cats actually prefer the black tip to the feather. That's right, try to figure the cat brain. (Kathi: You can edit this if you want).

Teddyforforum2.jpg

Awe what a cute kitty! Adorable. I needed a couple minutes break from my editing anyhow so I took out the slight magenta cast I was seeing on little Teddy and brightened it a tad. I'm a sucker for overexposed look though so it might not reflect him in real life. lol.

original:
3198255180_2b2831a9f9.jpg

edit:
3198255204_3c65b8f5ee.jpg

Yep, better. Thanks. And in real life Teddy is as pure as the driven snow. Well... there is that black spot on his head, which signifies the occasional bad behavior. Oh, and sorry to have posted a snapshot in the pro category (oops!). But it was nice to see this thread go from semi-hostile to nice!

O.K., I do cat portraits too. Dick, yes there is a lot of money in pet portraits. Why? Because good pet portraits are hard to do. And stop using Photobucket. Use flickr, the image quality is well retained.

This is Duffy, the best cat that ever walked this world. He will be missed. This is him "giving me" dignified.

3197625993_20f81d3610_b.jpg

-Nick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back