I Love My Crappy Lens

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Canon 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS gets terrible reviews from most review websites. That is, when its competition is L series glass. It's supposedly a bad lens for action, because of its small max aperture.

Anyway, it's become my go-to lens in just about every event. Of course, my Sigma 70-200 (another good lens) wins when telephoto is needed. However, for cage fights, basketball games, etc it just always makes its way onto my camera.

Moral of this story, it may not be for everyone, but I love it. I've purchased other lenses, carried other lenses, tried other lenses, hooked other lenses up to my camera, cheated on this lens in every way imaginable..trying to find the perfect match...when it comes down to it, I often switch back to my trusty 17-85.

I certainly cannot go on without posting a photo taken with this lens. Whelp, that's my review of a fine chunk of glass just under $500.

248173021-M-1.jpg

Good stuff, nothing like confidence in your own gear and evaluations. I have one or two pieces that I absolutely love that don't get good reviews, but work quite well for what I need.

That lens is in no way crappy. Maybe the construction could be bit better, but I had a hard time replacing it. Even an upgrade to a 24-105 f/4L was not as good since I lost 7mm on the wide end. It is such an effective lens on a crop camera. I highly reccommend it to anyone starting out over the EF 28-135 or stock EF-S 18-55.

I liked my Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens until some weird liquid got in it somewhere and it stopped focusing properly and blah blah blah. It was a good lens though, while it still worked well.

Most reactions

Back