I made a discovery about my camera!

Ryan Hall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that all of you probably know that your cameras have this feature, but I did not discover it until last night while I was messing around with it. My D80 will let me adjust the white balance of a photo after I've taken the shot! I just thought this was so cool because I was often frustrated trying to "get it right" the first time. I thought that whatever the shot looked like was how it was going to stay (since I don't have RAW editing software yet). Apparently all is not set in stone!

So, anyways, with that in mind, do you all use your in-camera editing features frequently, or do you feel there are higher-quality editing features (such as white balance adjustment) outside the camera?

Wow, never knew that. Unless it's the "Colour Filter" effect, in which case you're not changing the actual white balance, just the colours of the shot.

To be honest, I tend to leave my PP work until I get to Photoshop, although I sometimes use D-lighting or black & white conversion so I can preview what I shot will look like before I spend 2 hours tweaking it :p.

I shoot RAW so all the editing is done out of camera, and I tend to prefer things this way - I find it much easier to review and see changes on the computer than I can on the LCD - many shots look great on the LCD and turn out rubbish - and the opposite is also true.
Mostly the only thing I review (besides framing) is the histogram - get those two things right and then play around with whitebalance in editing on the computer. Note also that one can alter the whitebalance of a JPEG (temperature and tint controls are present in many editing programs - like photoshop elements) but its not as good as with RAW - also surly your camera came with some editing software?

So, anyways, with that in mind, do you all use your in-camera editing features frequently, or do you feel there are higher-quality editing features (such as white balance adjustment) outside the camera?
All my editing is done on the computer. I have my XTi set to neutral with hardly any adjustments done in-camera.

With all due respect, I think you must be confusing white balance with something else . You can adjust white balance before taking the shot but not after unless you are shooting raw,and then only with the apropriate imaging software!

Most reactions

Back