I messed up! Can someone help?

AprilRamone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apriloharephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I had another one of my calendar shoots today. This time I had to be in it so we were working with the timer. I had forgotten that I was messing around with night shots last night and forgot to set my iso back to 100, and all of the shots were taken with a 1600 iso today. I also underexposed all of them thinking that I could go in and work with them in PS to brighten.
Now, they are grainy and I don't know if there's anything I can do to save them. I really really really don't want to have to make my teammate do a reshoot since she has a daughter and it's hard for her to make the time. Anyone have any suggestions?
-A

The noise is mostly from the 1600. I think your only hope would be to use PS to remove the noise but it won't be easy. You will probably have to also then soften the shots and maybe use the "eliptical selector" and blur the background. Hope this helps - maybe you should post one of the shots to give people something to work with.

maybe try something like Neat Image to reduce the noise.

or convert te photos to black and white. I think noise can look good in black and white sometimes

Well we wanted all of our calendar shots in B&W anyway. Here's what I came up with. I think it'll be ok. Might look just a little bit different than all of the other months, but oh well!
IMG_8665Soft.jpg

Carmen2.jpg

Winona1wvignette.jpg

April... I use Neat Image myself, it's inexpensive and does a great job at getting rid of noise, even at 1600... I just shot a drum show in Chicago, and on the 3rd day left the ISO at 1600 as well... Neat Image knocked it right out, and I could still go into photoshop and tweak the levels quite a bit without too much noise.

Try duplicating the background layer and screening, or creating a curves adjustment layer and raise the lower midtone range to expose the image more.

The noise isn't too bad now, but they do look a bit flat. I'd probably try boosting the contrast a bit in the first and second one. You could also try the "film grain" artistic filter in Photoshop. I've used that a couple of times to cover up noise in an image. It can boost contrast a touch, too.

Most reactions

Back