I must be PMS'ing...

Please let me help out a bit. PM me with an address and I'll send you a check.

Please let me help out a bit. PM me with an address and I'll send you a check.

we will volunteer funds as well. check or paypal.

+3

Please PM an address to send a small check donation for him or a paypal addy
bigthumb.gif

Thank you for providing a good home for a child, because many do not have one. Also, Social Services are not the best experience for a child. There are so many wonderful foster parents, but in my state the DHS does not seem to care about children. They will take them out of a good foster home, and place them for no reason in a group home or some other home.

I wish I did have extra finances to help you. I am praying for your family and him.

There are places that can help you. One, we have Freecycling.com here, and you just post want you need or giving away. Two, I have posted on Craig's List in the children section to help a family member that needed clothes and things for her new baby. Some churches will help, and many have clothes closets. If he receives state medical insurance, in our state our school systems provide a backpack program that sends food home to children each Friday. The state also has programs in the schools to help buy school supplies for students. I was a teacher, and I keep extra supplies for students who could not afford them. I myself shop at co-signment stores and Goodwill for clothing. I find a lot of nice clothes for cheap price.

Social Security for a child is design to follow the child. I had a child who lived with me for a couple of years to allow her mother to collect herself, and she was on it. I had to take the paper work showing she lived with me and sign a paper work that she was living in my home, and it took about 2 months to start receiving her check. Then went in and sign papers that her mother had her when she went home.

Hope some of this helps:)
You're a girl after my own heart! I LOVE the thrift stores and we have a Plato's Closet here as well that is AWESOME for kids and school clothes!!!
Your prayers are MUCH appreciated. I am so grateful that we are able to do this and the blessings have been many. You wouldn't believe what it was like to take him school shopping for the first time in his entire life! It was HILARIOUS and gave us such an amazing feeling to watch him act like he'd been set loose in a candy store and told eat anything!

I have gotten emails and notes from people who know him and now know he's living here that are worth more than all the tea in China.

His sister (my daughter-in-law) has the older brother in her custody and she was terrified of what would happen to this one. She's sent him stuff from across the country and is so grateful and relieved. They live about 2500 miles away and didn't know what was going to happen with this situation-I can't imagine how scary that is. Now she's excited and sending him stuff every chance she can. Their income isn't nearly what ours is, he's an E4 in the AirForce. Seriously overworked and under paid with 2 of their own and the other brother to care for. They've been awesome and seeing the relief and happiness it's brought her has been worth every homework headache we have had!

In short-it's been more blessing to us to be able to do this than you could ever imagine. A lot of people have said "are you SURE you want to do this?" "It's taking on a lot of responsibility..." OK, maybe it is, but it's not all they seem to make it out to be either. He's housebroken already. Now it's just guiding him through high school. We get the better end of that deal! LOL!

I have gotten his paperwork done for his social security, but it's a time thing. I suspect we will start to receive it next month, maybe December if it's a 2 month back log-we went to court on 10/1. So soon...
The school has helped us immensely. He's considered homeless, so they transport from my house which is about 10 miles out of their district to school and back. They've provided funds for school supplies and I know if I asked for help there is a fund there also. They've helped with MUCH in his past and I know there are other kids who could use it. If we weren't looking at relief I'd definitely make use of it, but MANY of you know how it is being self employed. There is no Thursday Payday every week.

My husband does work, but he is a disabled vet, so it's not a whole lot. His paycheck and disability pay the bills in between those odd paydays for me, so we really are OK. We have also set ourselves up so that much of my income is 'hidden' until after taxes for the past year are paid. Kind of like those who get that giant income tax return every year-only better. It's a choice and the money is THERE... It's just hidden in the tax account.

So... THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I don't really need help. It's the most amazing gesture I have ever experienced! The fact that you will read when I vent? THAT is worth a million bucks!

awww look at all these awesome photographers here. I love seeing threads like this, so full of love for people you haven't even met. Mleek thanks to you for helping that poor kid out :(

sm4him said:
I wish I lived near you--I'd bring you a coat he could have! I bet I've got something that would work, leftover from my kids or my dad.

Are there any decent thrift stores around there? Maybe since nobody else has come through, you could at least find something temporary without spending too much? OR--make some calls to see if you can at least BORROW a coat, TODAY, from someone. Raising kids as a single mom, I learned quickly that EVERYone *says* they want to help, "just let us know if you need anything at all," but few are actually willing to put forth effort when the needs arise. I was blessed to have an awesome church family--all I had to do was say, "I desperately need a coat" and my pastor or youth pastor would MAKE it happen.

I just had a very similar experience on Wednesday, however (in terms of those who mean well and don't deliver, I mean--not the actual situation). This was a friend who has been really struggling, but refuses to let anyone help. She and her husband both have health issues, she was laid off last year and is making a "little" money doing Medicare insurance (which mostly only comes in October-December), he's a janitor--and now they have a daughter and son-in-law and newborn baby living with them, because the son-in-law is out of work. She finally got so desperate she asked me for help--diapers, formula, a prescription she couldn't afford to pick up... I sent out a "time to put your good intentions into actions" sort of email--and so far, ONE person has given $10 towards the stuff I went out and bought for this family.

It's kinda discouraging--but I believe that in the end, the greatest blessings are for those who put feet to the "good thoughts." (worded very carefully so as to not violate any of the forum "don't talk about religion" rules. :D ).
You are doing an awesome thing, and I hope someone comes through to help!!

EDIT: After reading pixmedic's post, I realize I neglected to say that I, too, would be happy to send along a coat, or maybe some clothes or shoes if I have anything that would fit him--I assumed that the coat needed to be dealt with TODAY, though, so I didn't mention that.

Tell us what size clothes, shoes, etc. Maybe we could have a TPF clothing drive!!

I'm in TPF fundraiser!! Seriously Mleek if there is something we can do let us know. I mean it lil lady PM me his sizes and see what I can do.

Thank you! We are fine! I promise! Lol!

Thank you! We are fine! I promise! Lol!

Poor MLee's gonna think twice before venting again!! :lmao:

Just know that we really WOULD love to do something--and it's not necessarily just about whether you *can* do it, it's about what you give to this forum and a desire to just do something nice for you! I for one, have benefited greatly from your expertise, your kindness and your patience, and I'd love to think I had a chance to do something for someone who matters to you like that.

If nothing else, at least I hope this thread has restored your faith that there ARE people out there who would hold to their word and actually HELP when help is asked for!

I would highly recommend that you figure out the child's social security benefits. I would start with the social security administration, tell them the child is no longer living with his mother, and if the mother no longer has custody, that as well. If SSA gives you the run-around, I think you have a responsibility to the child to contact legal services or a private attorney.

I am pretty sure that what the mother is doing may be fraudulent. The boy's father worked hard for his son's benefits, and it is very wrong for the mother to abuse guardianship privileges like this. The court may be able to compel her to forfeit the funds in a way that benefits the child.

I know that it is illegal for an assisted living facility to continue receiving SSA payments on behalf of a resident who is not currently residing in the facility. I am not sure if similar provisions exist for children. I do know that if a child is legally residing with a non-custodial parent, that parent no longer is compelled to pay child support, this regardless if the parent actually has legal custody. My wife and her father was in that situation as a teenager.

Does the child have a guardian ad litem or representing attorney?

Last edited:
You are Blessed for what you do and this community sees that. I am new here but want to help ...if you post an email address I will send a paypal donation.

I would highly recommend that you figure out the child's social security benefits. I would start with the social security administration, tell them the child is no longer living with his mother, and if the mother no longer has custody, that as well. If SSA gives you the run-around, I think you have a responsibility to the child to contact legal services or a private attorney.

I am pretty sure that what the mother is doing may be fraudulent. The boy's father worked hard for his son's benefits, and it is very wrong for the mother to abuse guardianship privileges like this. The court may be able to compel her to forfeit the funds in a way that benefits the child.

I know that it is illegal for an assisted living facility to continue receiving SSA payments on behalf of a resident who is not currently residing in the facility. I am not sure if similar provisions exist for children. I do know that if a child is legally residing with a non-custodial parent, that parent no longer is compelled to pay child support, this regardless if the parent actually has legal custody. My wife and her father was in that situation as a teenager.

Does the child have a guardian ad litem or representing attorney?

I am guessing you are doing that speed reading thing I am so guilty of!

I am just plain old frustrated today.
Back in June we took in another child who is now 13. He comes from a situation that is not good at all. At this point he cannot go home, or so says child protective services.
His father died several years ago and he is to receive Social Security Survivor's benefits. I am sure you know where this is going... His mom is receiving it, he is not.
When he came to us he had NOTHING. A few articles of clothing including 2 pair of jeans that were more hole than pants and some really really poor condition t-shirts, one pair underwear (more hole than cloth) and a pair of shoes about 3 sizes too big.
School shopping has come and gone and we've gotten him quite a wardrobe from nothing, although he needs SO MUCH more. We are not wealthy and this isn't my strongest point in $ during the year-to say the least. I've tapped into my savings to get him glasses, clothing... feed him! everything possible. He goes to school in the next town, not where my kids attend school. The school transports him for classes, but I have to do that for sports. So that's 2 trips to the next town every day. There is just so much and it adds up. Not to mention paying a lawyer on his behalf and other things. SO... I am a little taxed at this point. End of October when sports paychecks come out I'll be fine again, but until then I am feeling the pinch. REALLY feeling the pinch.

Thank you for providing a good home for a child, because many do not have one. Also, Social Services are not the best experience for a child. There are so many wonderful foster parents, but in my state the DHS does not seem to care about children. They will take them out of a good foster home, and place them for no reason in a group home or some other home.

I wish I did have extra finances to help you. I am praying for your family and him.

There are places that can help you. One, we have Freecycling.com here, and you just post want you need or giving away. Two, I have posted on Craig's List in the children section to help a family member that needed clothes and things for her new baby. Some churches will help, and many have clothes closets. If he receives state medical insurance, in our state our school systems provide a backpack program that sends food home to children each Friday. The state also has programs in the schools to help buy school supplies for students. I was a teacher, and I keep extra supplies for students who could not afford them. I myself shop at co-signment stores and Goodwill for clothing. I find a lot of nice clothes for cheap price.

Social Security for a child is design to follow the child. I had a child who lived with me for a couple of years to allow her mother to collect herself, and she was on it. I had to take the paper work showing she lived with me and sign a paper work that she was living in my home, and it took about 2 months to start receiving her check. Then went in and sign papers that her mother had her when she went home.

Hope some of this helps:)

I have gotten his paperwork done for his social security, but it's a time thing. I suspect we will start to receive it next month, maybe December if it's a 2 month back log-we went to court on 10/1. So soon...

So, yes, its all taken care of. He has an attorney and he will be getting his SS soon, but the government is not the fastest entity in the world here!
Yes, mom is fraudulent. I can't do anything, but hopefully the SS Administration will. Either way I don't really care as long as he gets it in the end.
He has an attorney, we made sure of that ASAP. I would love for the court to assign a Law Guardian or guardian ad litem, but so far they haven't... so... We have a great attorney we use and he's worked with us for this one. It's not too awful bad and so far it's only been minimal hours. I have done all of the homework and gathered the statements, 'evidence' and kept records of EVERYTHING, so he doesn't have to do much of anything other than be the wonderful arrogant ass he can be if you are on the wrong side of the courtroom from him.
10/29 is the date for final placement. It's a no-brainer. She hasn't followed any thing the court has ordered her to do, so it's really just a formality.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!! EVERYONE!!!

Sharon-I think you are right... I'll be more careful about venting a "need" again! LOL! (Not really... I'd be one of the ones offering to help for anyone else too and I appreciate it beyond anything I can say!)

Egh. yeah. Sorry, it was late, and I dont typically read all the replies as I should.

I'm glad everything is taken care of on the legal side of things. I felt bad because I can't really help out financially, but I can offer some directions around the legal system - not as an attorney or anything, but maybe a few points of direction.

SSA confuses everyone. Any correspondence with them and I just pretty much nod my head and say "sure, whatever".

Egh. yeah. Sorry, it was late, and I dont typically read all the replies as I should.

I'm glad everything is taken care of on the legal side of things. I felt bad because I can't really help out financially, but I can offer some directions around the legal system - not as an attorney or anything, but maybe a few points of direction.

SSA confuses everyone. Any correspondence with them and I just pretty much nod my head and say "sure, whatever".
I think that's their sole goal. They're all so confused themselves that they have to pass it on.

No doubt, huh? I received a letter from Medicare that seems to suggest that they think I'm still receiving Wyoming Medicaid, despite that all my SSA correspondence is coming to my current address in Montana and my current medical bills are being billed through Montana Medicaid.

I'm so intimidated to straighten things out. I just KNOW it's going to be a cluster**** of confusion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back