I need a jumping off point...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Pasternak, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob TPF Noob!

His "selection process" so far seems to amount to "I've heard the Pentax K1000 is good..." I don't see what the problem with offering reasonable alternatives is. If he already has a selection of Canon lenses, it would not make sense to go buy a Pentax body when there's an equivalent Canon body readily available.

2. Pasternak

Pasternak TPF Noob!

You guys crack me up. Yes, I do have a 50 mm. lens that came with the canon t50. Honestly I probably wouldn't take it since that camera belongs to my dad and he wouldnt be able to take pics with it while I'm at school with his lense. The pentax seem to come with a similar lense, no big deal.

McBob. If you have another suggestion for a beginner then lets here it. Like I said, the pentax are going for about 100 w/ one lense. I don't have a great deal of money to spend, maybe 250 max for a good body and a few lenses.

3. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Motocon, Bob, Great reads. And well worded questions Pasternak. Apparently anyway. I feel learned when I finished this thread. Ah... I do love this forum.

4. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the forum moderators should take not that I refrained from any pointless or tasteless jokes about a jumping off point in the previous post. I need karma points.

5. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bob, it was just an observation. up until that post you had made a total of 5....of which in 4 of them you evangelized canon. didn't mean to rub the fur the wrong way.

i also don't think that anyone can argue that the k1000 isn't an excellent machine.

6. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tyjax.....i left usefilm (and took quite a few ppl w/me) b/c of the karma point system....

egads. that word hurt.

7. Tyjax

Tyjax TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My goodness you mean there really is such a thing. I meant like Karma. Like I didnt say anything "Mandaesque" pottymothedness. :) :p

8. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol Tyjax.....

yah, on usefilm.com there is 'karma' and 'charisma'. you get points for making comments and for uploading photos.

a decent business model, but it sure did elicit the, 'nice shot', 'i love the colors!', and 'neato composition with the lens cap half on', comments a mile deep. i had to depart; too many utopian commentaries and not enough reality for this chap.

9. Pasternak

Pasternak TPF Noob!

to bring it back on subject, the k-1000 is not an incredible machine? Or it is???

10. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it is indeed. take a look at some of the reviews when you get a chance. can't find a single bad one:

http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_84322_3105crx.aspx

here is an excerpt from one of them:

Summary:
    I recieved my K1000 as a gift when I took a black and white photo class in high school. This is a great camera to learn on, and it takes awesome pictures. While I'm not sure exactley how old my camera is, I'd say at least 15 years and I've never had any problems with it. I've been working in a camera shop for the past four years, and even with all the cool new camera models that are out I have still not considered replacing mine. I would highly recommend this camera.

at the time i acquired my pentax p3, it was presented to me without much of a choice. if i had a choice, i would've chosen the k1000 hands down.

11. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    by the way, Ben; sorry for hijacking your thread.

12. Pasternak

Pasternak TPF Noob!

I was looking at some k1000's on ebay and had a question. What does instant-return type mirror mean exactly, and also, when a camera is described as Through the lens, what exactly does that mean. Is that in regards to the meter? Thanks

Ben