John J Gold

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.villageofsloan.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All! Long time no see!

Went to see the Blue Angels airshow at the outer harbor two weekends ago and my D3400 bit the dust.

It was HOT! I'd guess by the time the show started it was well over 90° not counting the humidity which was close to 70%. Normal temperature for this time of year for Buffalo is mid-70s

Anyway, I think my camera overheated and fried something internally despite all my efforts to keep it cool. The first sign was that SnapBridge wasn't uploading my test shots to my phone. On my phone, the camera was paired under Bluetooth settings but it couldn't connect.

Bluetooth couldn't be started on the camera. The firmware info vanished and suddenly the shutter wouldn't work.

We had a cooler with plastic containers on top of reusable ice packs - probably 50-60°. I set my camera inside on the top of everything and left it for probably 15 minutes till the next planes arrived.

Same thing. It would work for maybe 5 or 6 shots then the shutter would fail. I tried switching batteries to no avail.

Two of the very few shots that actually were worth fooling with are attached.
Both were taken with my 300mm lens. The shutter for the F18 was set at 1/1600 and the stunt plane at about 1/320 - or that's what it was supposed to be...the glare was brutal!I ronically we didn't get a single decent shot of any of the Blue Angels themselves. 😠

A few days later I had to shoot the first concert in the park since before the pandemic. Between my phone and my intermittently working shutter we were able to get most of it covered.

Anyway, to FINALLY get to the point I've nearly decided to go to a full frame camera. Of course I'm going to have to go used but I'm looking at the Nikon D610. I know I'm going to also have to get a couple of FX lenses.

I'm trying to stay under $1500 for the body and lens(es).

I'd deeply appreciate any advice and suggestions y'all can share on a replacement rig as well as any suggestions you may have about my current camera! Thanks!!

Jack

F18 Inverted.jpgStunt Plane Smoke.jpg

Nice, time for a used d500

Heat gets blames a lot but the electronics are typically rated for temps much higher than what you encountered. I just checked a few data sheets at random and 70C - 160F is usual for commercial grade items and higher for the same parts made to industrial grade, up to 125C - 260F.
You also mentioned that the shutter had issues days later, that makes me think that while there certainly seems to be a problem, it is not necessarily heat-related.

My old D90 worked like a champ while I was in Cambodia and it was in the 90's with 90% humidity the whole time I was there.

Consider using Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean all the contacts on your camera including but not limited to the lens mount, the battery, and the memory card.

And since I own one and love it, I always recommend a used D4 but your price-point is going to be tough for a body and lenses.

Looks like a good excuse to buy a new camera. If you are going to stay with a dslr, you might want to look at a used D500 for the AF system and frame rate (fps). If you are going to mirrorless and want to stay with Nikon, you can't beat the price of a Z50. FWIW, for the types of shots you posted, the lens you use is as important, or more important, than the camera body.

Heat gets blames a lot but the electronics are typically rated for temps much higher than what you encountered. I just checked a few data sheets at random and 70C - 160F is usual for commercial grade items and higher for the same parts made to industrial grade, up to 125C - 260F.
You also mentioned that the shutter had issues days later, that makes me think that while there certainly seems to be a problem, it is not necessarily heat-related.

My old D90 worked like a champ while I was in Cambodia and it was in the 90's with 90% humidity the whole time I was there.

Consider using Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean all the contacts on your camera including but not limited to the lens mount, the battery, and the memory card.

And since I own one and love it, I always recommend a used D4 but your price-point is going to be tough for a body and lenses.
Thanks for the advice! I'll try that. I know it doesn't get much more hot & humid than SE Asia! I have a few friends in Viet Nam.

Looks like a good excuse to buy a new camera. If you are going to stay with a dslr, you might want to look at a used D500 for the AF system and frame rate (fps). If you are going to mirrorless and want to stay with Nikon, you can't beat the price of a Z50. FWIW, for the types of shots you posted, the lens you use is as important, or more important, than the camera body.
Thanks! I looked at a D500 but it's just a little too much scratch for me! I found a practically new D610 (shutter count is 156) for a really good price. It'll be here just in time for the next Village concert in the park next week.

In honesty, that camera may not be toasted at all. SOUNDS like your using the cooler in between planes was causing the issue

In honesty, that camera may not be toasted at all. SOUNDS like your using the cooler in between planes was causing the issue
Thanks for the reply! I was worried about that too. It seems however that a lot of people at the show were experiencing similar issues not just with "real" cameras but even phones were locking up. My wife's phone shutter wouldn't work half the time.

I noticed that immediately after taking my camera out of the 60° cooler it would take a couple or three shots before it failed again.

Still had issues several days later photographing the evening concert.

Thanks for the reply! I was worried about that too. It seems however that a lot of people at the show were experiencing similar issues not just with "real" cameras but even phones were locking up. My wife's phone shutter wouldn't work half the time.

I noticed that immediately after taking my camera out of the 60° cooler it would take a couple or three shots before it failed again.

Still had issues several days later photographing the evening concert.
This may be a long shot but the USAF is not happy about people using cellphones to video flights.

In the very close proximity of WRIGHT PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE it has been common for years to have cars with auto start just start, and garage door openers to open and close as if operated by a ghost.

This may be a long shot but the USAF is not happy about people using cellphones to video flights.

In the very close proximity of WRIGHT PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE it has been common for years to have cars with auto start just start, and garage door openers to open and close as if operated by a ghost.
I'm sure that only happens when a UFO is coming in, or taking off.

Nice, time for a used d500
D500 is imho the most overrated camera in the world :D .. and overpriced DX as well .. if budget is the concern I'd recommend Z50 + FTZ .. my photography buddy has this camera and he uses FTZ only with F-mount fx/dx lenses and I can assure you it works great ... D500 is meh ... IMO

Most reactions

Back