I need a prime.

What are you going to use it for ?
is there justification (in your mind) for an 85/1.4g

Or are you just going to buy one,
realize you don't need it
and sell it at a ridiculous low price to me (virtually giving it away) afterwards ?

So talk me out of blowing the money on a Nikon 85 f/1.4g.
BUY IT!!

ooh, excuse me. don't buy it.

Does that help ??

:1219:

Not at all. I had the Canon 85 f/1.8 with my 5D MKII and loved it. I've even considered the Nikon 85 f/1.8 and Sigma versions. But how can I be any type of respectable wedding photographer if I don't have a f/1.4?! My last even covered about half the cost of a new one, but I have a wedding to pay for in September...

What are you going to use it for ?
is there justification (in your mind) for an 85/1.4g

Or are you just going to buy one,
realize you don't need it
and sell it at a ridiculous low price to me (virtually giving it away) afterwards ?

I somehow became a wedding photographer. Oh...and events. I shoot in the dark a lot. The ability to shoot in even more darkness with the amazing ability of the D750 to recover shadows. I'll post a photo up from the wedding/halloween party I shot where you couldn't even see the bartenders in the original shot and then the edited version where you can without a ton of noise.

So essentially you're trying to figure out if buying the lens would affect your ability to pay for your wedding for September 2016 ?
It all depends upon your cash flow and how it can positively affect your cash flow.

I don't do weddings (only a few as 2nd) but have a 85/1.4 and I love using it. haven't really used it much at 1.4 but just using it as a comparison on ring shots you can only do if you have it available.

So essentially you're trying to figure out if buying the lens would affect your ability to pay for your wedding for September 2016 ?
It all depends upon your cash flow and how it can positively affect your cash flow.

I don't do weddings (only a few as 2nd) but have a 85/1.4 and I love using it. haven't really used it much at 1.4 but just using it as a comparison on ring shots you can only do if you have it available.

Not at all. I'll make my fiancee pay for that. :D

Don't worry about the wedding, start saving to pay for the divorce! As for the lens, I still use the 'D' version, but I do love my 85 1.4! It's probably just about my most used lens. If you don't have one, well... you really do need one.

Don't worry about the wedding, start saving to pay for the divorce! As for the lens, I still use the 'D' version, but I do love my 85 1.4! It's probably just about my most used lens. If you don't have one, well... you really do need one.

She's making more than me now, but it's only temporary. Once I have those pieces of paper saying I know stuff, I'll be making a lot more than her. :D

The D is manual focus only?

She's making more than me now, but it's only temporary. Once I have those pieces of paper saying I know stuff, I'll be making a lot more than her. :D

The D is manual focus only?
'D' series are AF all bodies with an in-body focus motor (DX, DX00, and D7XXX)

But how can I be any type of respectable wedding photographer if I don't have a f/1.4?!
I bet a lot of wedding photographers don't even have f/1.8 or f/2 lenses.

here's a fun game: Which of these was shot with the $375 used 85mm 1.8G, and which was the new $1,800 24-70 2.8? (Same camera was used in both)

17161750951_e438a68783_c.jpg

upload_2015-11-17_10-22-17.png

Your d750 will use it's in-body focus motor to focus the 85/1.4 AF-D.
Whereas the AF-S 85/1.4 G uses the lens in lens focus motor (not needing the camera to do anything other than electronically tell the lens to how focus).

you do not have the ability of focus override as you would with the 85/1.4 G.
Edit: you have to flip the camera body switch to Manual, and the lens has a silver button to push and slide to go to Manual in order to focus manually.
But the 1.4 D, as many professional photographers will tell you, renders a better portrait image than the G does.

and the 85/1.4 AF-D costs a few hundred less than the 85/1.4 G.
Of course you have the 85/1.8 AF-D and 85/1.8 G also available as options. I also have the 85/1.8 AF-D.

Edit: the one worrying factor that I now have is the M-A switch on the AF-Ds. My 80-200/2.8 AF-D the underlying mechanics broke for the M-A switch and I recently sent it into Nikon for repair. but the 80-200 gets a ton of workout in shooting sports the past 2 years that I've had it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back