I need advice...

JenniferKailey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In choosing a camera. I've been looking at the Canon XSi, but have noticed that I could get a used 30D for around the same price.

Those don't have to be the only 2 options, but I'm looking to spend around 600-650 for a kit. I probably shouldn't even be spending this right now, but I really want one.

It won't be for professional work, just random things, but I'll be using it a lot.

Thank you!

Will this be your first DSLR? If so the XSi is a very good choice...but it uses SD memory cards. If you plan to eventually move up the Canon line you'll be looking at getting Compact Flash memory cards as well.

The XSi (and the XS) are part of Canon's entry level consumer grade DSLR line. They're well designed cameras with lots of features at reasonable prices. Plastic bodies mean lighter weight and they're on the smaller side (people with big hands tend to dislike them unless they install a battery grip). Newer technology (Digic III image processor) with a nice big 3" LCD.

The 30D is an older Canon DSLR (introduced in 2006) but it's from their semi-professional prosumer line of DSLRs. Mostly metal body (magnesium), heavier, bigger and more durable...but older technology (Digic II image processor) and a smaller 2.5" LCD.

Which one to get? Not an easy choice. A whiz-bang entry level DSLR or a rugged tried and true semi-professional DSLR.

If it were me, I'd get the 30D with the idea of moving up to a 50D or 5D Mk II later on. I'm turned off the SD memory the XSi uses.

Will this be your first DSLR? If so the XSi is a very good choice...but it uses SD memory cards. If you plan to eventually move up the Canon line you'll be looking at getting Compact Flash memory cards as well.

The XSi (and the XS) are part of Canon's entry level consumer grade DSLR line. They're well designed cameras with lots of features at reasonable prices. Plastic bodies mean lighter weight and they're on the smaller side (people with big hands tend to dislike them unless they install a battery grip). Newer technology (Digic III image processor) with a nice big 3" LCD.

The 30D is an older Canon DSLR (introduced in 2006) but it's from their semi-professional prosumer line of DSLRs. Mostly metal body (magnesium), heavier, bigger and more durable...but older technology (Digic II image processor) and a smaller 2.5" LCD.

Which one to get? Not an easy choice. A whiz-bang entry level DSLR or a rugged tried and true semi-professional DSLR.

If it were me, I'd get the 30D with the idea of moving up to a 50D or 5D Mk II later on. I'm turned off the SD memory the XSi uses.

it would be my first as right now i have a sd750. i don't mind purchasing a new memory card... i just keep reading that the lenses are the most important thing, should i just go for whatever body is cheaper?

i'm trying to do my research to figure out what exactly i need lens wise and what means what in the language of photography which makes it difficult to decide, but i'm a hands on learner, so i'm trying to make the best decision pre-purchase...

thank you for your help ;)

Just wondering though, have you tried looking into the Nikon entry level D-SLR? They have some great consumer D-SLR such as the D40 which is a great buy for those who are just getting their first D-SLR. You should try reading some reviews and comparisons.

For the price range that you listed there is also the Sony A200. Sony has bought out Minolta and has provided a very good line of camera. The added bonus to this is the image stabilizing is buit in to the body of the camera rather then the lens like the other brands. When I was looking at a new camera, I was more worried about how it felt in my hands then the actual features. I am 6'2" and have large hands and I found the Nikons to feel the biggest and most comfortable for me and the Olympus to feel the smallest and most uncomfortable. Go to your local camera store and check out all the options in your price range and go for the one that feels the best in your hands. This is a hobby and you're suppose to enjoy it so worry about feel rather then anything else.

just my 2 cents

Just wondering though, have you tried looking into the Nikon entry level D-SLR? They have some great consumer D-SLR such as the D40 which is a great buy for those who are just getting their first D-SLR. You should try reading some reviews and comparisons.

Sadly the D40 ( and I think D60 ) is NOT a great buy, it's gimped in a way that limits what glass you can use with it (in Autofocus mode), lacks a top LCD and is very cheaply built.

As allways I'm going to reccomend what I feel is the best camera overall in this sort of price range.

The Pentax K200D, it's the best built camera in the price range, has a top LCD ( which I find VERY usefull ), in body Image Stablisation ( means it works with all lenses, it's not QUITE as good as in lens stablisation but no limit on the lenses you can use). It also works with every lens made for pentaxes since 1973 (some are manual focus of course but all work) and Pentax can supply an adapter to use the M42 mount too. Uses readily available AA sized batteries.

The D30 isn't a bad idea too, but probably not as good as cameras such as the K200D and K20D as it is an older model. The XSi I wouldn't reccomend myself for the reasons already mentioned (cheapish build and small) and the missing top panel LCD.

FWIW I have the XSi and I'm really happy with it. I'm novice at best so it was a good jump from the point and shoot to the DSLR. IF your going to buy it, I would suggest getting the body and researching what lenses you want. I kinda wish I didn't get the kit lens.

I'd prefer Canon XSi over the 30D because it is newer one. Also it has got a great image quality, very good noise management, livevew and better LCD. Great camera to begin.:thumbup:

NExt time I'm in so cal, Ide be more then happy to show you my camera :)

I have an XSI and I am happy with it. Knowing how much I am liking photography, if I were to do it over again, I would get a 40d or a 50d. If I had to chose between XSI and 30d, not sure... I'm thinking XSI.

What type of pictures do you like to take?
Do you have a budget for your lens?

The kit lens (18-55) is alright to start with, and adding in a 50mm 1.8 for low light and portraits might be the best way to go. Depends on you

You will not see any difference in image quality between the 30D and XSi ... both are excellant cameras. Unless you have specific need which the 30D fullfills better than the XSi, i.e. the 30D's faster Frames Per Second (FPS) speed for action/sports or the 30D's more rugged body, then I suggest the XSi with it's newer processor and better LCD.

If this is your first SLR, (sounds like it is), then I suggest starting out with the kit lens which has IS and is very sharp for a kit lens. Use that kit lens until it falls apart, by the time your skill level excedes the kit lens you'll know what lens(es) you want/desire/need next.

Also, join a local photo group, absorbing the experience of seasoned photographers will quicken your travel on the learning curve and you can test out other lenses and equipment.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

NExt time I'm in so cal, Ide be more then happy to show you my camera :)

ha, why thank you!

What type of pictures do you like to take?
Do you have a budget for your lens?

The kit lens (18-55) is alright to start with, and adding in a 50mm 1.8 for low light and portraits might be the best way to go. Depends on you

I'm definitely getting a nifty fifty, no doubt about that... other lenses will have to wait their turn.

i'll be using the camera mostly for basic things. parties, social events, friends, tourist... i'd love a good lens for landscapes eventually but that's only for travels...

i don't do sports photography or anything, if that helps.

you guys always have great answers... a lot of people are saying they opted for the 30d because of the build and big hands... i'm a small girl so that's not a problem... again, i'll have to find a camera store that has both options...

There is no substitute for going down and holding each one and determining which one feels good in your hands..

The 30D is a magnesium body, slightly larger and heavier camera so it can get very heavy when carrying it around all day.... especially if you have one of the pro level lenses.

So, if you just want something that you can toss in your bag and pull out when you see the moment, then the smaller, lighter Xsi with the fifty might be the better choice for you.

Both use a high quality Canon CMOS sensor, have modern electronic controls and take top quality photographs..

However, unless you really feel that you need the little added speed of the fifty, I think that the 18-55 IS Zoom is a more useful lens, especially because either one is a 1x6 crop body; so inside, that fifty is a small telephoto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back