I need advice...

It should not be hard to get a *GOOD* film setup (body + 50mm) for less than $75 if you can deal with manual focus. In addition to the Canons and K1000 there are of course Pentax MX/KX, Nikon FE/FE2, FM, Olympus OM-1/2. FE2 might cost you a bit more than the others but I would think most of the others should be obtainable at around that price. From your description I would think that type of setup would make a lot more sense for you than either a higher end body or some kind of MF. All of those will give exceptional image quality and are nice to use, with those types of cameras you might want to budget an additional $50-75 for a CLA to be assured good performance, but maybe you get lucky and get something in great shape to begin with.

I think the way to go especially on a budget is slides, very rewarding film to work with and get a cheap projector and enjoy, the only cost is processing which is inexpensive anyway. If you must have them digitally then probably you need to look at some kind of scanner, much more economical and much better results than anything affordable from a lab.

My 2c

Dave

I would recommend a Canon camera for someone just starting out the 20D or 30D would be a good option. They have great qualities, but not as expensive as a SD or the Mark series. Those usually come with a general lens, but one in the 24mm-70mm range is a great lens to start with and build off from there. I love Canon lenses too.

Kathy
http://www.foreverphotographyonline.com

I agree. :thumbup:

Oh, I just thought you were into canons. If getting into 35mm film, I'd get a Nikon F100 and a 35mm f/2.8 lens, then save for an 85mm or a 105mm. If you already know your stuff then the savings with digi becomes much less. Have you given any thought to a 645 or even a 6X7 format?

The f100 is an awesome camera, but if he was going for the cheapest possible route to quality film gear, he should look for a nikon FG with a series E f1.8 50mm lens... probably only cost him $50.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back