I need Help choosing between two cameras

Ill second the KEH route.
Regardless of the make, there are tons of cameras set to do what you want.
Many here prefer the Nikon and if that is what you like, stay committed to it.
But I also tell everyone when asked this type of question, is...Don't take our word for it.

I started shutterbug life with a Minolta and stayed through a 7D until it was stolen, then switched to a Canon.
Go to a camera store and fondle a bunch of cameras.

Nikon, Fuji, canon, whatever you can get your hands on. Feel them.

The Canon 1Ds is a LARGE camera and the wife hates it because of the weight, but LOVES her 70D because it fits her hands.

The Nikons are similar. The larger prosumer SLRs typically are larger.

Smaller cameras like the rebels, D7000, etc. are much smaller in girth. Pick and stay committed to whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I prefer heavy large cameras. I am now thinking of D90 VS D3400

hum ... D90. Personally I'd rather get a newer but lower end DSLR. D90 is too old I think. It is not D90 is a bad camera, far from it, it is just that the camera technology especially the sensor advancing pretty quick. So if there is a choice, I'd rather get a more recent camera. Do you have a budget? Let's say camera with lens for around $400? $500?

I just went through this and after purchasing and using the D3500, I sent it back. I found the lack of movable screen along with no custom save settings just too much. I found a D5600 body only for $465 on Anazon and the found a refurbished 70-300mm VR lens for a reasonable price, I had to have the VR due to shaky hands. I used the $70 instant cash for getting their credit card and now I have a much better camera and lens then what the D3500 comes with. Of course I only have the one lens but it's the one I wanted to start with.

I appreciate the great input. My budget is really tight (400.00 tops) I was wondering also if the d90 is too old and if the articulating screen would be worth aiming for.

Once you have an articulating screen, you can't go back. I don't know anything about the D90.

I appreciate the great input. My budget is really tight (400.00 tops) I was wondering also if the d90 is too old and if the articulating screen would be worth aiming for.
Thats a really good question.

In the Canon world, the 1Ds started with Firewire and thus, unless you have specific adapters, you'll need either an older MAC or a multiple firewire Thunderbolt converter to make things work.
Also remember that software of that time was compatible with 16-32 bit systems.
Many 32 bit systems (contrary to the promise) wont work on a 64 bit system and if its 16 bit.. forget it.

With Nikon, I tried to download the software for an old Coolpix 5400 that my wife has.
No such luck.

So keep that in mind as well.

Also battery systems. The big guys love proprietary batteries and unless you can find comparable types, they may be ion the endangered list.

From Keh
Used Nikon DSLR Cameras - Buy & Sell Online at KEH Camera

There are few D5200 and D7000 maybe within your budget (need to buy a lens separately)

So
Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera Body {16.2 M/P} at KEH Camera
D7000 $278

Nikon Nikkor 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 G Aspherical ED IF DX AF-S Autofocus Lens For APS-C Sensor DSLRS {67} - SLR & DSLR Lenses - Camera Lenses at KEH Camera
Nikkor 18-135mm $126

Total is about $404 with 180 days warranty from KEH.

If you like one generation newer than D7000, then D5200 maybe a better choice. (I believe D5100 and D7000 share the same 16Mpx sensor)

D90 was a noise machine.MPB.com is what I reccomend to anyone. great selection and price. and Honest company. I good Low milege heavy D3 would be My choice. get a Nifty 50 1.8 D and learn then decide whats next. Megapixel count is BS. 12 Good MP's is better than More Crappy Ones. Don't get fooled. some Of My best work was with the D3. I currently have the D850. One of the greatest ever Used a 35 for 40 Years and covered the world. he said "You want closer. Walk, you want Wider> you walk Backwards." Glass is King My friend. Im 76 and doing this 60+ years.

Yeah, the D90 is too old, IMHO. It's got what is now considered to be merely an average to poor sensor.. the D3400 has significantly higher resolution,and lower noise. The D3400 is inexpensive and is compatible with the newest, inexpensive AF-P lenses from Nikon.I think you would be happier with a D3400 over the D90...

I really like canon cameras so I will suggest you to go for canon T6, I have also read a post about what camera most famous influence's camera you can check that out on this site https://vloggingmaster.com

How about this D300. I have a friend who owns this. She's a pro wedding photographer. She claims this is a way better camera than my D5600. Even with it's age. Had I talked to her first I might have gone with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was wondering also if the d90 is too old and if the articulating screen would be worth aiming for.
The D90 is not "too old" providing the shutter count is low. Yes, there are newer sensors with newer technology, and the D90 firmware is not the most recent, but if you get a good copy, and a good lens to put on it, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with that choice.

IMO, an articulating screen is not worth settling on a lesser camera. I had a D5000 (articulating screen) and traded it off for a D7100 (no articulating screen), and don't miss the screen at all. It has its uses, and some people use that feature a lot, but for me, I hardly ever used it. I used it mostly to protect the LCD (by flipping the screen around to face the body) for transport.

Is the D90 deal one that you have been watching, or is that just the model you decided upon?

I say if you can get the D90 for a reasonable price, and it has a low shutter count, go for it.

I see they're going from about $123 to $400 or so.

Nikon D90 body used | eBay

What lens(es) do you currently have?

Good luck!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back