I need Help choosing between two cameras

MTHall720

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Due to my budget being small I have read a lot of articles and watched youtube vids but still would appreciate input on what to pick.
I will mostly use my camera for landscapes, nocturnal shoots and low light level shots in general. I will also use it for indoor shots of products for online sales.

I have narrowed my choices to either Nikon D3500 vs Canon T6. I would like a fairly good OV and EV. Need a 3 inch LCD (My eyes are gettting older, along with me). Planning to do a good bit of aperture priority and manual focus.

I appreciate all input,

No advice re Nikon vs Canon other than take a look at lenses you’ll want and see what’s available as you’re buying into a system.

Re your budget - don’t be afraid to buy used/refurbished as long as it’s from a reputable online seller like Adorama, Cameta or B&H. Some even offer warranties. I got a refurbished Nikon body from Cameta a few years ago and it had under 300 shutter activations and cane with a full year warranty.

No advice re Nikon vs Canon other than take a look at lenses you’ll want and see what’s available as you’re buying into a system.

Re your budget - don’t be afraid to buy used/refurbished as long as it’s from a reputable online seller like Adorama, Cameta or B&H. Some even offer warranties. I got a refurbished Nikon body from Cameta a few years ago and it had under 300 shutter activations and cane with a full year warranty.

This is solid advice. I’ll add to it, find the lens you want and then choose the camera.

Landscape, nocturnal, lowlight and product shots all benefit if not require a tripod. The Manfrotto BeFree is a great travel tripod, quite compact and lightweight.

Especially for landscape one wants at least a circular polarizer (circular is basically the only kind offered nowadays since linear polarizers dont work with digital). Get a cheap multicoated one from Hoya, those are excellent.

I would strongly advice to get an old semiprofessional camera, like a D7100 or even D7000, from Nikon, instead of buying bodies like a D3x00 or D5x00. There is absolutely no reason to buy brand new if you're short on cash.

One of the reasons why is that the D7100 has a builtin autofocus motor that allows to autofocus with cheap but amazing lenses from ages past. Lenses I can highly recomment include the Nikkor AF 35/2, 50/1.8, 60/2.8 micro, 85/1.4, 105/2 DC, 135/2 DC, 180/2.8, 300/2.8, 80-200/2.8. The Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro is also excellent and requires a motor in the camera for autofocus.

This way you can save a lot of money compared to when you go to Canon. Canon unfortunately strictly separates their lenses into two groups - low quality cheap non-L lenses for the masses and high quality but expensive L lenses for the professionals and rich amateurs. And they had a hard break in respect to the lens mount in 1987 - with the introduction of autofocus, they switched from their older FD to their new EF mount, thus there are no cheap old lenses for Canon like there are for Nikon.

Other reasons for getting a semiprofessional about an entry level camera are much better interface including two instead of just one command dials, better viewfinder, advanced options for flash, double card slot for backup, better build quality including weathersealing, optional vertical grip for comfortable operation in portrait orientation, etc.

I agree with Solarflare (above). My D7100 was $700 new, but there are used examples available as well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree that Refurbished, if from a reputable place, is a great value.

If you do not need the articulating screen, the D7200 can be had brand new for $700.

my Nikon D7100 in my opinion was my best camera ever..

OP - the advantage to the higher end camera like a 7100 is that many of the controls are external. Cameras like the 3500 tend to require a lot of menu diving to change settings.

Thanks square peg. I hadn't thought of it like that ure makes sense.

You did say your budget was small, but can you swing any of the above suggestions? If you are intending to grow in this hobby, then don't short yourself with this next purchase. Get more camera than you think you need, and grow into it.

You did say your budget was small, but can you swing any of the above suggestions? If you are intending to grow in this hobby, then don't short yourself with this next purchase. Get more camera than you think you need, and grow into it.

Typically, this is considered sage advice..."buy more camera" than you think you need for the immediate future...

Most reactions

Back