I need HELP deciding on a new lighting set-up/purchase

jmckline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After lurking and learning from all you fabulous people on this forum, I finally decided that I needed to join. It's a new year, and I have big plans this year. One of which is finally buying the lighting equipment I've been wanting for ever and ever. That being said I have been saving my pennies and now I'm ready to pull the trigger... but need some last minute advice.

Long story short, I will be buying Paul C. Buff products (for many reasons not necessary to go into). I shoot primarily in a small (but wonderful) space roughly 12ftx11ft with 8ft ceilings, but also in larger spaces, as well as outdoors. I shoot portraits, fashion, beauty, models, actors, etc. I have done a little product and catalog photography as well.

I want a very diverse set-up, but of course I need to watch my budget. This is what I have settled on... somewhat:

3ea AlienBees 800s
3ea 13ft Heavy Duty Stands
1ea 20° Grid for AB800
1ea Baby Boomer Offset Arm
1ea 22" Beauty Dish - (silver or white?)
1ea 15° Grid for Beauty Dish (or 30°?)
1ea Large Softbox 32x40
1ea Large Softbox Grid
1ea 51" PLM Parabolic Umbrella - soft silver
1ea PLM Front Diffuser Fabric

Question #1 - Beauty Dish - silver or white. I have read arguments for both. If I get the silver and use the sock, wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Specular and bright when needed, and also nice and diffused when socked? Or is white just simply the way to go? I'm adding the 15° grid as well (maybe change to 30° if that's the better choice???).

Question #2 - Diffusers - perhaps my biggest question of all... I'd like three. One for each strobe. Beauty Dish for sure (with grid), then I want to add a softbox with a grid. The third I have listed above is the PLM with the diffusion fabric. I'm thinking the PLM will give very similar light to the softbox, so why would I get that? Especially since it can't be gridded. Maybe I just need a simple umbrella? It would be great to have three different diffusers that can work well together, but also provide diversity in my lighting if I choose to use just one or two strobes, or change things up completely. This is my biggest quandary.

So this is where I am... trying to think of everything. It's a big expense for me, but I'm excited and ready. Perhaps I'm over-thinking things, or perhaps I have forgotten something very important. I'm hoping you can give some input, feedback, suggestions, etc.

Thank you for your time. I truly appreciate it!

Welcome to the forum.

Question #2 - Diffusers - perhaps my biggest question of all... I'd like three. One for each strobe. Beauty Dish for sure (with grid), then I want to add a softbox with a grid. The third I have listed above is the PLM with the diffusion fabric. I'm thinking the PLM will give very similar light to the softbox, so why would I get that? Especially since it can't be gridded. Maybe I just need a simple umbrella? It would be great to have three different diffusers that can work well together, but also provide diversity in my lighting if I choose to use just one or two strobes, or change things up completely. This is my biggest quandary.

The main purpose of a softbox or umbrella is to soften the light, they do this by making the light source larger. So in that capacity, yes...the softbox and an umbrella are very similar.
There are differences though, most of which can be pretty subtle. For example, a softbox tends to constrain the light to one direction, especially if you use the grid. An umbrella will tend to spread the light much wider, although the PLM is supposed to help control that. But in general, an umbrella will tend to spill more light than a softbox.

Each modifier will have/create it's own characteristics with the light it produces. It's hard to really know (or even explain it) unless you try a bunch of different ones...or more likely, use them for a period of time. It's not so much about which is better, just which you will prefer.

In general, umbrellas are quicker and easier. They fold down nice and tight, easy to transport. A 'standard' softbox has to be assembled and possibly disassembled if you need to transport it. PCB does have 'foldable' softboxes, which makes it much quicker to set up and take down, but the problem with them, is that they don't fold up tight & small like an umbrella...you can't just toss it into the back of your card and pile stuff on top of it.

So it really comes down to what you want to use, where & how you want to use it etc. It may be hard to really know, until you start using these for a while. Few photographers pick up their favorite bit of gear, the first time.

Spot-on advice! ^^ FWIW, I think you've got an excellent starter kit there. The only thing I see missing are remote triggers and gels.

If you want something different, you could consider a strip softbox for hairlighting, w/wo Grid

Thanks for the input thus far. Much appreciated.

I would buy the grid SET for the 7 inch reflectors....20 degrees is going to be too wide for some uses, not wide enough for others....the 10,20,30,40 set is the better grid set to have. I would also order one of their background "shovel" reflectors...these are VERY handy devices to have. Paul C. Buff - White Shovel Background Reflector

A barn door set for a reflector + grid is also a very nice thing to have.

A short backlight stand would be nice. So would a fourth light. A fourth light is almost essential for many setups.

i know you have a brand in mind i was looking at the elinchrom d-lite 4 all the reveiws gave them top marks and you get a remote trigger with the setup

Most reactions

New Topics

Back