I Need Help Picking Out A Canon Lens

PMphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the Canon 40D and it's a really great camera! one of the best i've used.

i also have a 70-300 mm lens

canon_EF_70-300.jpg

this is an amazing lens, it works great, its sharp and clear but the only problem is that i cant take any pictures in just regular situations, like at parties or concerts.

i'm stuck with this

18-55_dc_slt_wtt_cp_002.jpg

the 18-55 mm lens that came with the camera, its autofocus really sucks, overall its not a very good lens..

can you guys recommend a lens to replace this one?

I've been very happy with my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

It is solid and works well in relatively low light. The IQ is excellent.

Of course, there's the Canon 17-40L f/4, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

I guess it's always how we see it, cause I've read bad reviews about the 70-300 and great ones about the 18-55.

If you are wanting to take pictures at parties and concerts, get a zoom with a max aperture of 2.8. There is no substitute for fast glass. Or snatch up a couple of fast primes. If you don't have a limited budget, the canon 16-35 2.8 or the 24-70 2.8 are both nice lenses, but 24 may not be wide enough for your 40D. The tamron mentioned above would be a cheaper alternative.

Don't forget the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8.

There are a lot of choices out there, ranging from primes to various zooms to cover that range. Part of it depends on your style, and part on your budget.

I use a combination of a 10-22mm and 24-70 2.8 -- I'm happy with that approach, but it has three drawbacks: 1) it's heavy to carry both all the time, 2) I change lenses a fair bit (something I don't mind), and 3) it's a pretty pricey pair. (You could theoretically go with just the 24-70 -- but you really need to pair it with an ultra-wide on a crop camera. Otherwise it would be fairly limiting.)

Another approach is the 17-55mm 2.8 -- a lens that I hear great things about, but have never used. It, too, is pretty pricey though -- around $1000, I think.

The Tamron mentioned above is also well-regarded around here -- and cheaper.

+1 on the 17-55 F2.8 IS form Canon. I have it and love it. Great lens for low light, and just wide enough to get good group shots. It's not an L series lens, but it's very close to that level of quality.

sigma makes a 24-70 EOS mount that is a 2.8, i have it and am pleased. its my 'walking around' lens. use it more then any other lense i have.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back