I need some opinions.

xUnknownSoul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well. I've got a Nikon D80 and I'm looking to get some new lenses.

Anyone have any Ideas? Because I have no clue where to start haha.

I just need the basics for now.

Be a little more specific
I.E. What you plan on shooting
What do you use your camera for the most (landscapes mainly/ Portraits/ Abstract/ The Family/ All mentioned?)

Sigma 24-60 F/2.8 if you want a walk around lens to start out with.

However, a quick search online shows that the Nikon might be pretty damn hard to find new (Canon is abundant). If you want to go used, check out Nikonians.org or FredMiranda and see if anyone is selling one. Its a beauty of a lens.

hmm that is rather tricky to advise for. Basically different lenses have different areas where they are best used at - a 50mm is much better as a portrate lens than a 500mm even though one could do portrate work with a 500mm.
I think you have to sit down and first work out what "everything" is - list it down and then start to work out where the main areas you shoot are (also note down where you want to be able to take shots, but your kit lens leaves you lacking in the abilty to take them).

Then work out what your main interests are and we can go from there - :)

Agreed. Or, depending on your budget, you could shoot for the Nikon 18-200/ 18-200 VR and call it a day. That would cover just about everything. Or Sigma makes a 50-500 and an 18-200/ 18-300 OS lens. This is a VERY good start combination. Good=$$ of corse.

Mark

I would say that is 3 different groups - possibly you could limit it to 2;

For architecture you want a good wide angle lens - that is a short forcal length. I know less about the lenses on offer in this department and less about ones that would suit architecture best - but a wide angle for certain

For people can we clarifly - do you mean people as in portrates or in a more generalist sense - like walking about (street photography) and such?

For closeup you want a good macro prime lens - there is a good range on offer in this area and if portrates are your interest I would recomend either the Nikon 100mm micro VR or the Sigma 105mm macro - both of which would be good macro lenses and also good portrate lenses as well. The VR (vibration reduction) on the nikon lens would be a fantastic aid when using the lens for normal (and portrate) uses - for macro work its has less of an impact

If your not into portrate work the market opens up a bit - there are shorter and cheaper options, good for static subjects, but not as good with things like insects where you want the longest focal length you can (so as to be be able to put as much distance between you and the subject as possible); lenses on offer are:

Nikon 100mm macro VR - good solid choice of lens and the only macro lens with vibration reduction
Sigma 70mm macro - short and sharp - possibly sigma's sharpest lens
Sigma 105mm macro - much like the nikon, but without the VR. Note that this and the 70mm extend as they focus.
Sigma 150mm macro - This and the next sigma lens are the top quality offers from sigma- offering teleconverter compatabilty, internal focusing (they always remain at the same length) as well as better build quality and HSM focusing motors.
Sigma 180mm macro - Much like the 150mm lens in features, however this lens is generally considered a bit too heavy for prolonged handheld use and is better used on a tripod setup.
Tamron 90mm macro - a good sharp macro lens and also the shortest recomended lens for insect work.

note Nikon call macro micro on their lenses - the words both mean the same thing

Nikon 100mm macro VR - good solid choice of lens and the only macro lens with vibration reduction

I think you meant the Nikon 105mm VR lens. I just got it and it seems amazing but I haven't really had time to fully test it out. I will say that the lens seems huge and heavy even on a D700 body. The VR isn't really suppose to help with macro from what I have read.

Most reactions

Back