I Need Some Pet Photography Tips.

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey there i need some pet photography tips. For example, how to position the pet, camera settings, lighting, background, ect... The best lens I have would probably be the 18-55mm on the Canon rebel xs. I have taken some photos of my pet before but I really want to up my game and make the images a bit nicer.

Thank you for any tips you may have.

All i do is practice,you need to try different lighting... lower the iso as much as possible... keep it as natural as possible..

One thing, as someone on this site mentioned and it stuck with me, is to get down on their level as opposed to shooting down on them.

This one I stuck the camera partially in the water
IMG_20181017_212349_236.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just like when you photograph children, always make sure you get down to their level and focus on the eyes. Another thing too, never have an image with an object that looks like it`s growing out of the dog ie a tree or something else.

Last edited:
First, practice shooting moving objects (like birds in your backyard or youth soccer players). The dog may be very active and some of the best shots may come in that mode. A dog coming to you will be tricking--you want to pan left to right (or right to left). Otherwise, pre-focus on a specific spot, throw a ball and when the dog returns with the ball and hits that spot, you click.

Second, don't shoot as a human. Get on their level. Or get lower. So be prepared to lay down in the dirt.

Third, play with the dog before you start shooting. They need to respond to you and view you as "fun."

Fourth, have a toy that the dog will respond to (and probably two). For instance, something you can throw the dog will fetch. And a squeaky toy that an assistant right behind you can squeak and you'll get an immediate head turn from the pooch.

Last edited:
JoeW pretty much covered it above. Elaborating a little further, dogs respond and interact with you because you happen to be the most interesting thing in their world at that exact point in time. Treats, toys, noises are that direct their attention toward you. Like has been said before get down on their level and have fun. Don't stress out if things don't work out, quit and come back later, a dog will recognize if your stressed. The more you react with them, the more they react with you.

Get down low
It's A Dogs Life by William Raber, on Flickr
Get creative and have fun
Dark Side04092018_656-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr
Shoot them in their environment
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Zw1a2o]On Point by William Raber, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
...my cat was not cooperating
That's what cats do... not cooperate! I can shoot ten dogs in the time it takes to do one cat! :lol: On suggestion I might offer is try and get the eyes looking into the camera; I know quite often the animal (cats especially) will move as you do, but with a little patience, you should be able to get some where they're looking "right down the barrel".

my cat was not cooperating

Wait a minute, you didn't say cats in the OP. Cats are a breed apart. First they do what they want, not what you want, and jyst when you think you have them figured out, they change up to mess with you. LOL

One thing, as someone on this site mentioned and it stuck with me, is to get down on their level as opposed to shooting down on them.

This one I stuck the camera partially in the water
View attachment 172167

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Great photo of your sweet dog

.. lower the iso as much as possible... k

Agreed with everything but this. The noise associated with higher ISO is less of a problem given the camera and processing advancements. I'd much rather up the ISO to get my shutter or aperture up for a sharper shot on a fast moving pet.

.. lower the iso as much as possible... k

Agreed with everything but this. The noise associated with higher ISO is less of a problem given the camera and processing advancements. I'd much rather up the ISO to get my shutter or aperture up for a sharper shot on a fast moving pet.
i just remember i was shooting too high ISO in the beginning.. and the detail of the pet was not so good.. i came all the way down to 200... or 400 and quality came up.. but i think it totally depends on camera and lighting....but just something i thought he should try ..what do you set your aperture /shutter at for fast moving animals.. i will try it..

Most reactions

Back