I need the use of shutter speed explained to me, for both pictures and video

Frame rate, probably.
So lets say you have 25fps (frames per second) You can take them at a speed of 1/25sec at the slowest. At that speed each frame in your exposure (each separate frame) will be a 1/25sec exposure - and thus have all the properties of a 1/25sec still photo strung into animation.

However you could shoot with, say, a shutter speed of a 1/400sec. Each of the 25 frames in the single second would be taken at the 1/400sec speed (and thus have the properties of 1/400sec single frame exposures) but the overall number of total frames taken would remain at 25 in the single second.

Just to be clear, in dslr filmmaking the rule of thumb is to have twice the shutter speed than the frame rate. 25fps is 1/50 60fps is 1/120. But that rule aside, what you're saying here is really interesting. I was wondering, if you know, if i shot something at 25fps at 1/25 and something else at 25fps at 1/400 what will be the different effects of thepicture, how would they differ? This is the kind of stuff I came here to find out :)

If the shutter speed were equal to the frame rate, it would be a continuous series.

If the shutter speed was faster than the frame rate, there would be 'gaps' between each frame. Time where 'stuff is happening', but it is not being captured on video.

Does that make sense?

It may or may not be an issue, depending on the frame rate the video was played back at. Worst case, the video would appear "jittery". ...I don't know the technical term, lol.

If the shutter speed were equal to the frame rate, it would be a continuous series.

If the shutter speed was faster than the frame rate, there would be 'gaps' between each frame. Time where 'stuff is happening', but it is not being captured on video.

Does that make sense?

It may or may not be an issue, depending on the frame rate the video was played back at. Worst case, the video would appear "jittery". ...I don't know the technical term, lol.

Hmm I don't think so because we then have our own visual limitation on frame rate - we can only see at roughly 25fps anyway. So there is lots of natural motion in the world that has "gaps" that we can't perceive because we can't see that fast. So a faster frame rate would simply mean that each frame our eyes do see is sharper on motion when put into the series.
Jittery would come if the fps of the scene were to become slower than 25fps - at which point there would be gaps in the series that our eyes can detect.

Just wondering if shutter speed really matter in movie? (Unless we are talking time lapse type video)
For those who use the DSLR for video, is the Shutter stay open anyway while recording?

...So there is lots of natural motion in the world that has "gaps" that we can't perceive because we can't see that fast....
Whoa! Not hardly.
25 fps is a frame rate where the display of still images is perceived by humans as constant motion. Humans see real world motion continuously, with no gaps.

Here's my understanding of shutter speed in movie making. Different shutter speeds have different effects in movies, just like they do in stills. What they do to a movie, is a bit different (but related) to what they do in a still. With a slow shutter speed (say, shutter speed = frame rate) it will look very smooth. But you'll see lots of motion blur. I think that typically most movies are filmed with a fairly low shutter speed, but I don't think they usually go as low as the frame rate. I believe the rule of thumb given earlier is close to what's typically used. With a fast shutter speed, you can get a more gritty look, I suppose would be the term. It will be a bit staccato. The best example I can think of this in film (because I just watched this movie over the weekend) is during some of the action sequences of Saving Private Ryan. I'm specifically thinking the invasion scene, and the very last, bridge defense scene. Look at fast moving objects (debris in explosions, for example), and you'll see an almost strobe-like quality to it. It's very hard to describe, but I do know those scenes were shot with a high shutter speed. The youtube clips of this movie are too poor of quality to see it, but if you have a copy at home, check it out. Thinking about it, I remember seeing high shutter speeds in Gladiator as well, during the battle scenes. Also, most sporting events are shot at high shutter speeds, so that slow motion, and freeze frames look sharp. But it's harder to see the effect.

Here is a better explanation than I could give.

Frame rate, probably.
So lets say you have 25fps (frames per second) You can take them at a speed of 1/25sec at the slowest. At that speed each frame in your exposure (each separate frame) will be a 1/25sec exposure - and thus have all the properties of a 1/25sec still photo strung into animation.

However you could shoot with, say, a shutter speed of a 1/400sec. Each of the 25 frames in the single second would be taken at the 1/400sec speed (and thus have the properties of 1/400sec single frame exposures) but the overall number of total frames taken would remain at 25 in the single second.

Just to be clear, in dslr filmmaking the rule of thumb is to have twice the shutter speed than the frame rate. 25fps is 1/50 60fps is 1/120. But that rule aside, what you're saying here is really interesting. I was wondering, if you know, if i shot something at 25fps at 1/25 and something else at 25fps at 1/400 what will be the different effects of thepicture, how would they differ? This is the kind of stuff I came here to find out :)

I'm not a video guy, but my best friend is and I shoot with him alot so I know a little bit of this. A faster shutter speed in video will do 2 things as far as I understand. The obvious, is that it's going to affect the exposure on each individual frame because faster shutter speeds let in less light. You also need to consider the motion blur. If you shoot fast action, lets say a football game, at a really high shutter speed like 1/400th of a second, your video is going to take on a choppy look because you are freezing motion in each individual frame. For sports/fast action you want a shutter speed slow enough to let each frame blur together so that it looks smooth.

Hope that helps to some degree, and if I'm wrong on any of it feel free to correct me. But this is what I was taught. Like I said, I'm not a video guy though.

If I am understanding overread correctly, wouldn't a slower shutter speed give a smoother video then since each frame would kind of "blur" into the next, but then a faster frame rate may look sharper but choppier at the same time- look more "digital" if you will?

If I am understanding overread correctly, wouldn't a slower shutter speed give a smoother video then since each frame would kind of "blur" into the next, but then a faster frame rate may look sharper but choppier at the same time- look more "digital" if you will?

If you get a chance to check out the 180 degree shutter link, there's a short video at the bottom that has the same scene shot at different shutter speeds that illustrates the concept extremely well.

Thanks Village, I will. I am definitely getting more respect for DSLR video, much thanks to your posts. You definitely seem knowledgeable in this area, is this something that you do regularly?

I'm not a video guy, but my best friend is and I shoot with him alot so I know a little bit of this. A faster shutter speed in video will do 2 things as far as I understand. The obvious, is that it's going to affect the exposure on each individual frame because faster shutter speeds let in less light. You also need to consider the motion blur. If you shoot fast action, lets say a football game, at a really high shutter speed like 1/400th of a second, your video is going to take on a choppy look because you are freezing motion in each individual frame. For sports/fast action you want a shutter speed slow enough to let each frame blur together so that it looks smooth.

Hope that helps to some degree, and if I'm wrong on any of it feel free to correct me. But this is what I was taught. Like I said, I'm not a video guy though.

THANK you! that was the answer I was looking for. That sounds like a cool effect, looking forward to applying it to a short.

Has anyone ever seen Three Kings? In the scene early on in the village where George Clooney confronts an enemy officer and it turns into a firefight, the first one in the movie. The way it was shot was very interesting. It would first point the camera at the person firing, then it would quickly pan to the guy getting shot at, then it would zoom in and then the bullets would hit. And it's all in this very choppy looking slow motion. You really need to have seen it to know what I'm Talking about. I would love to know how to do that effect.

Can anyone tell me please? If you need to see it I can pm you the clip.

Most reactions

Back