I need your help!

ricke46

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.enricosoriano.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, this is my first post. I've been into photography since high school; about twelve years now. I thought I'd join this forum to expand my skills, learn new things and meet other photographers. So, hello everyone! :mrgreen:

I'm in the market of buying a new DSLR. Currently I own the first generation Canon Digital Rebel. While it was a good camera for the time being, I feel as if I've out grown it. What's a good camera for me? As far as price goes, I'm looking to spend up to $1400 for a body. Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Since you already shoot Canon and probably own a couple of lenses, the 40D should be the obious choice.

Since you already shoot Canon and probably own a couple of lenses, the 40D should be the obious choice.

I actually don't own any more lenses than what the camera came with. I'm looking to get back into photography a lot more sine my life allows me to at the moment. Thus, I want a camera that will be comfortable to shoot with and can expand with me through time. I went shooting with my Rebel and got really annoyed with it. I want something new since I'm sure the technology has changed some since this camera. I'm looking for opinions of those who've had their dslr's for sometime now and how they like it and if they wished they'd bought something else or are in the process of transitioning to another camera entirely.

Right now, I'm looking at Canon's 40D and Nikon's D300. Can anyone share some personal experiences with these camera's? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Ooooohhhhh....You just started a debate...There's always that little rivalry b/n Nikon and Canon. I have a D80 and just bought a D300 that I haven't been able to mess with due to school. What I found, when I first researched for the D80, is that the Nikons tend to have a little better color reproduction and a slight edge on quality, but WERE poor performers as far as high ISO noise. This has supposedly been fixed with the D300. I've never shot with Canon, so I can't comment, but I like my Nikon setup. Really, you're at a good point because you can choose to go with either system. Usually what happens is someone picks a system, buys a bunch of glass and then they're stuck in that system whether they like it or not. So, you're gonna get the same general response of....they're both nice cameras, they both have good and bad points, and to go to a shop and hand-hold each one to see which you like better. I know that really doesn't help all that much, but that's just about what everyone will tell you. I also found, that you will probably spend a tad bit more for Nikon, but I don't care 'cause I'm happy with it! I would recommend reading as many independent reviews as you can, check the specs and performance, make your decision, and don't look back!!

I think on this forum no one really starts Nikon - Canon - whatever other manufacturer wars ;)

I am stuck with Canon, happy with my cameras most of the time, but I never touched a 40D or a D300, so I am of no help here.

Ooooohhhhh....You just started a debate...There's always that little rivalry b/n Nikon and Canon. I have a D80 and just bought a D300 that I haven't been able to mess with due to school. What I found, when I first researched for the D80, is that the Nikons tend to have a little better color reproduction and a slight edge on quality, but WERE poor performers as far as high ISO noise. This has supposedly been fixed with the D300. I've never shot with Canon, so I can't comment, but I like my Nikon setup. Really, you're at a good point because you can choose to go with either system. Usually what happens is someone picks a system, buys a bunch of glass and then they're stuck in that system whether they like it or not. So, you're gonna get the same general response of....they're both nice cameras, they both have good and bad points, and to go to a shop and hand-hold each one to see which you like better. I know that really doesn't help all that much, but that's just about what everyone will tell you. I also found, that you will probably spend a tad bit more for Nikon, but I don't care 'cause I'm happy with it! I would recommend reading as many independent reviews as you can, check the specs and performance, make your decision, and don't look back!!

Thanks Kidchill. I've been reading reviews about both camera's, but wanted feed back from real consumers and users. You said I'll probably end up spending more going the Nikon route; Does the difference in price match the difference in quality?

I think on this forum no one really starts Nikon - Canon - whatever other manufacturer wars ;)

I am stuck with Canon, happy with my cameras most of the time, but I never touched a 40D or a D300, so I am of no help here.

Not trying to start any wars here. I know both manufacturers make great products. I have a Nikon FM2 and Canon's first generation digital Rebel. I've had no real experience with todays dslr's and I just wanted personal opinions before I make a purchase. I'm more concerned about the long run with buying lenses. I don't want to buy into one manufacturer and wished later on I'd went with the other.

Thanks for the feedback!

I can't say that the cost matches the differences or that it is even warranted. I think the big picture is that you are buying into a "system." It's not just a body, it's everything that goes with it. I've personally been happy with Nikon. I think they put out great products. The truth is, if you stick with Nikon or Canon (I can't comment on the other manufacturers) you're pretty much gonna get about the same thing for about the same cost. It's all up to you. The other thing to think about is if there's a local camera store, what company are they affiliated with? The closest camera shop to me is a Canon dealer, so I'm pretty much outta luck when I need something Nikon.

I can't say that the cost matches the differences or that it is even warranted. I think the big picture is that you are buying into a "system." It's not just a body, it's everything that goes with it. I've personally been happy with Nikon. I think they put out great products. The truth is, if you stick with Nikon or Canon (I can't comment on the other manufacturers) you're pretty much gonna get about the same thing for about the same cost. It's all up to you. The other thing to think about is if there's a local camera store, what company are they affiliated with? The closest camera shop to me is a Canon dealer, so I'm pretty much outta luck when I need something Nikon.

Yeah, I agree. Also, being that I'm just beginning to get into photography again either system will suffice. After some thought and help from members of this board I decided to get into a Canon 30D. I think this camera will do just fine with getting back into photography. No need to get fancy at this point. Thanks for the input kidchill. You've been helpful.

How come you are going for the 30D? Don't get me wrong, I am using one myself, but if I was to buy a house today I would definitely buy a 40D. LiveView, sensor cleaner and the customizable preset mode are very good new features.

Most reactions

Back