I need your help...

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, My name is Ashley, and I am a Noob...

Having said that, I find that I really struggle with Black and White photography. I shot these in Alcatraz in RAW with the intent of making them Black and White. The lighting in that place is ferocious, especially for a noob trying to figure it out. What I want to know is what I could have done to make these better? I appreciate any and all help, Thanks in advance...

This was shot in C-Block

Longview.jpg

This photo was shot in extremely low light, it was taken in D-Block, which is solitary confinement. This shot frustrates me the most, the lighting was so difficult, and I only had a few minutes cause I was on a tour. Anyway, sorry for the rant, what would you have done to try to make this photo better, either while on location or in post-production? Thanks for looking

Solitary.jpg

Did you shoot with a higher ISO setting? Any flash?

I shot with ISO 800, which was as low as I could go and still shoot handheld. I didn't bring a tripod, nor would I have, it was not feasible. I didn't use a flash, I tried it, but the flash on the Sony a200 is as worthless as an ejection seat on a helicopter...

I strongly disagree with usinga flash, it sill only ruin the natural lighting and get you a mess with shadows all over the place. I always thought that flash looks terrible in black and white (camera flash not studio flash).

You can try playing with contrast and brightness for start and see what that gets you. It is kind of necessary for B&W photography. You can also try crops since there is a lot of abstract detail to focus on.

You can't do much about lighting if you are on a walking tour, but maybe if you can prepare and have a light tripod in your backpack (if it is allowed) you can get away with a few seconds worth of exposure or as much as necessary and still keep up with the tour. Adjust everything beforehand, and when you are at the right spot pop the tripod out and take the shot! You just need to know what shots you want to take.

I kinda like how these turned out. They are dark and gloomy, and I think that is the feeling you are trying to portray. You could probably boost the contrast or curves a bit to help show a little more detail...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back