I really hope I saved this gull...

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I came across this gull that I think was hit by a car. It was behind a fence on private property and at first I thought it was dead. I saw it flinch a few times and with heavy heart I left it to die. I was actually really upset about this poor gull. I ran into a old time wildlife guy and he concluded the same fate, but said one thing that really bothered me... The eyes are still clear. With much angst I left and went to some other spots throughout the day. I couldn't stop thinking about this poor gull and that it might be still alive. If it was alive it must be terrified that it was stuck on it's back and paralyzed. I went back several hours later and it was still there, but moving it's legs and head a little but was still stuck on it's back. I called some friends that are wildlife rehabbers and they instructed me to make a "donut" out of a towel and scoop the bird up and told me who to call. I got the gull in my box, but once I had righted it, it jumped out of my box and proceeded to walk away. I'm sure the wings are broken but at least it might have a chance to eat and drink again... I'm am so glad I went back.

He did try to bite me once when I first picked him up, but I almost felt as if he knew I was there to help him. When he first jumped out of the box he just kind of stood there and looked at me as if he was saying thank you..

This was how I first found him... it was much earlier in the day and the light was quite a bit brighter..

Hopefully the Gull Survives... 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

This was after he stood up and walked away....

Hopefully the Gull Survives... 4 by krisinct, on Flickr

I realized later what I thought was dirt on his bill was a little dried blood..

Hopefully the Gull Survives... 3 by krisinct, on Flickr

Hopefully the Gull Survives... 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Awww, good on you for going back! It tugs at my heart to know an animal is hurt. :hug::That little guy appreciated it, I'm sure. Hopefully, his injuries aren't too bad.

You probably did. If nothing else you did all that could be done for it. They are tough little critters and always seem to find a way to survive.

I had a similar instance a year or so ago. I was outside my office smoking a cigarette when I heard something thump into one of the second-story windows. I looked over and there was a Hummingbird laying there. I thought it was dead to but I picked it up anyway. It's wing looked broken as well, but after a minute or two it shook itself a bit, hopped up on my finger and stood there swaying for another minute. It finally tucked it's wing where it belonged, shook it's head one more time, and then took off.

Good for you! Seagulls seem to be pretty tough critters. Hopefully, he or she makes it...either way, you did your part and did a good deed. Karma rewards ahead.

I am glad to see that some people care enough to go back, it was nice of you!

Most reactions

Back