I shoot JPEG and I refuse to post process my images - Can I still be successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is on to something here!... Maybe I should stop using soap when I shower, might not be as effective but I bet its more natural

Why only go half way? Stop using that water piped from aquifers and processed and purified and get back to proper natural bathing. Find a fresh running stream/pool or if you want a shower a waterfall :mrgreen: (I would suggest rain but human pollutants in rain can be a problem)

If noting wanting to post process his stuff is his thing, more power to him, its all art and he is the artist of his own work..being sucessfull is only determined by what you call success, if you are happy with the jpg right out of the camera then I guess it was successful... Ive heard so many photography and photoshop instructors say
"Don't retouch just because you can" but I like going thru my files an re-retouching
some... just because I can... sometimes taking stuff way over the top is fun or experimenting trying to get an effect that just makes you say WOW that can not be done in camera, I don't like Picasso stuff but look how many others do

If noting wanting to post process his stuff is his thing, more power to him, its all art and he is the artist of his own work

People are not disagreeing with the fact that - as the photographer - the OP may make his own choice as to what he does and does not do with and to his photography.
However what people are taking issue with is that the OP is taking a distinct course of action (or inaction in this case) whilst under a misunderstanding of what he is gaining by taking this course of action. This is why people are disagreeing and making suggestions and points aimed at trying to educate the OP as to the error or misunderstanding in their viewpoint.

This isn't a fight for control, but a desire to educate and help further anothers photographic understanding. In the end though no matter what we say the OP still has the choice to listen or not to listen.

If noting wanting to post process his stuff is his thing, more power to him, its all art and he is the artist of his own work

People are not disagreeing with the fact that - as the photographer - the OP may make his own choice as to what he does and does not do with and to his photography.
However what people are taking issue with is that the OP is taking a distinct course of action (or inaction in this case) whilst under a misunderstanding of what he is gaining by taking this course of action. This is why people are disagreeing and making suggestions and points aimed at trying to educate the OP as to the error or misunderstanding in their viewpoint.

This isn't a fight for control, but a desire to educate and help further anothers photographic understanding. In the end though no matter what we say the OP still has the choice to listen or not to listen.

I thought we were arguing about pie now...maybe that was a different thread.

Are you sure you can handle that much awesomeness?

*has a feeling that Mana forgot to use the sarcastic font when he made his post*
;) ;) ;)

More like I didn't realize how long this thread had become when I responded to it and missed a number of replies. :)

Since when are the out of the camera JPEGs natural looking? I've been already through 6 different cameras, tried countless setting combinations, and the result actually never got close to natural. Take any unedited photo from your library and look at it. Does it look exactly the way the scene you pointed your camera at did? Does it have the right contrast and saturation? White balance? How about a sunset for an example. They are always beautiful. But have you seen a stunning sunset photo straight out of the camera? Most of the ones I've seen were dull, unsaturated, and thus uninteresting and unrealistic.

And above all, photography is subjective. Everyone sees the world in a different way. Even if we both witness the same scene, a photo of it that you consider natural may not necessarily be realistic for me.

Since when are the out of the camera JPEGs natural looking? I've been already through 6 different cameras, tried countless setting combinations, and the result actually never got close to natural.

I actually have to profess that I haven't shot a JPEG in 8 or 9 yrs. I gave it up quickly when I switched to a DSLR and RAW.

Until today...

I tried it with my now, long in the tooth, Nikon D2Xs for for the sake of science/art.

Thank God for the recycle bin.

RAW to Jpeg conversion in PS is fine if not excellent and it's hard to see the difference.

In cam Jpeg is atrocious. And that's at maximum settings. Blocked, muddy compressed shadows and mega blown highlights.

Sorry, in cam Jpeg is the most unnatural thing I've ever seen !

Yes!
Myself, I personally LOVE PS.
However, I appreciate your desire for more natural images.
Photojournalist are not supposed to edit their images so you can certainly be successful in that route. If you are a product or fashion photographer it may be an uphill battle.
However, Terry Richardson is famous and he shoots with a point and shoot and probably doesn't know much photoshop. Most of all...be yourself and you will be more successful. Make natural your niche/style.

Post some of your stuff...I d love to see !

a couple examples of my own stuff from my site & blog
Examples: Natural (Minimal headshot retouch)
Picture+29.png

Fashion retouch (a bit more polish)
Picture+17.png

I actually have to profess that I haven't shot a JPEG in 8 or 9 yrs. I gave it up quickly when I switched to a DSLR and RAW.

Until today...

I tried it with my now, long in the tooth, Nikon D2Xs for for the sake of science/art.

Thank God for the recycle bin.

RAW to Jpeg conversion in PS is fine if not excellent and it's hard to see the difference.

In cam Jpeg is atrocious. And that's at maximum settings. Blocked, muddy compressed shadows and mega blown highlights.

Sorry, in cam Jpeg is the most unnatural thing I've ever seen !
Exactly, JPEGs also differ a lot between various cameras. Which one is real then?

Hmm this thread doesn't have much to offer other than a misinformed OP, enough now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back