I SO SO SO want this! CC? I've been studying and practicing

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! DOWN GUYS, DOWN! Everyone gets so personally offended. I am not ignoring your advice.......IN FACT, YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE SHUTTER. I SHOT AT 1/100 AT THE VERY LEAST...BUT MOSTLY AT 1/200-- -1/400. I posed a few shot WITHOUT my flash and in those circumstances I did slow my shutter to 1/60.

FWIW, I went and checked each picture, just to be sure. The first was 1/100th of a second. Every other picture was 1/60th of a second.

Personally, I think you should be around 1/200th of a second. The rest of your settings were fine. The only thing you need to change for some of those shots to be really good is your exposure compensation on your flash and the direction your flash is pointing.

Also, take care to squeeze the shutter instead of pushing it. It makes a difference.

I am appalled at how horrible people have spoken to me and assumed such wrong things. I am a teacher and professional too and I would NEVER talk to anyone like this; eve if I thought they weren't applying my advice correctly. I can honestly say that I'm surprised given everyone on here is supposedly adults.

Kerbouchard said:
Focus issues are always one of three things.
1) Lack of contrast
2) Lack of light for the focusing module to see the contrast
3) Equipment malfunction

You forgot the following causes of focusing problems:
4) User error in aiming
5) Lack of user understanding of the focusing settings

For example, the AF assist grid pattern (it is not always a 'grid'; depends on the camera or flash, but whatever, we know what you mean) you mention over and over: for many beginners, they do not get ANY benefit from the AF assist system because they have their focusing system set for Continuous AF, so the beam is never emitted. That is a "#5" error--lack of user understanding of the focusing settings.

It's possible that a person has his or her camera set up so that the AF assist is set to OFF. I actually laughed at #3 being "equipment malfunction"...perhaps that was you making a horrible word choice, Kerby... my experience is that USER ERROR, in one of any number of ways, is the leading cause of AF problems. "equipment error" as the #3 cause of AF problems? What were you trying to say? Is her AF system making errors? Is it out of whack? Speaking of B.S. filters...your post with the three causes of AF errors doesn't pass my B.S. smell test. At all.

I opened this post to reply, and then got roped into a Level of Lego Star Wars 3...when I posted, I saw AMOMENT had posted a bunch of replies...I keep thinking back to KmH's short post, with regard to his comment about repeatedly seeking C&C over a really short time frame, one that ought to be a time frame measured IN MONTHS, not in weeks, is as he put it, "counterproductive". And that Kerby, is where I think you're wayyyyyy off base in chastzing the "mob"...the OP has made a fundamental mistake I have seen over 30+ years....expecting to take a bunch of photos, in a VERY short time frame, and to miraculously become "good". And, she wants it "SO SO SO" much to be like that. You gave her a quick recipe, but it might as well be in Greek, if you expect a newbie to be able to assimilate that information and put it into practice.

Ya gotta be able to walk before you can run.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah, the ones I posted I shot at 1/60 except for the first. I did this because, as I said, a friend of mine gave me an assignment; to practice shooting a little slower, keeping my ISO down, and working on stabalizing my hand. I took so many more photos last week and to be honest ,I even tried keeping my shutter above 1/200. I posted these because I was pleasantly surprised that I got some in decent focus at a shutter as slow as 1/60.

What I have learned more than ANYTHING ON THIS FORUM, is that photography is not a science, it is an art! People have different theories and different methods for achieving the right exposure, sharpness, etc.

They even have different theories on the best ways to learn. I have a photographer friend in Texas who is probably the most amazing photographer I have ever seen! Her advice to me is the opposite of everyone on here. She says, get your head out of the book and don't spend hours of time on all of the that "photo mumbo jumbo" (lol exact words) get out there and shoot, shoot all day, different times, different people." That is how she learned and she is now extremely successful! People seek out her work from around the country. If she didn't live in Texas, she could be of more help to me.

Kerbouchard said:
1) Lack of contrast
3) Equipment malfunction

You forgot the following causes of focusing problems:
4) User error in aiming
5) Lack of user understanding of the focusing settings

For example, the AF assist grid pattern (it is not always a 'grid'; depends on the camera or flash, but whatever, we know what you mean) you mention over and over: for many beginners, they do not get ANY benefit from the AF assist system because they have their focusing system set for Continuous AF, so the beam is never emitted. That is a "#5" error--lack of user understanding of the focusing settings.

It's possible that a person has his or her camera set up so that the AF assist is set to OFF. I actually laughed at #3 being "equipment error"...perhaps that was you making a horrible word choice, Kerby... my experience is that USER ERROR, in one of any number of ways, is the leading cause of AF problems. "equipment error" as the #3 cause of AF problems? What were you trying to say? Is her AF system making errors? Is it out of whack? Speaking opd B.S. filters...your post with the three causes of AF errors doesn't pass my B.S. smell test. At all.

Whatever. We agree more times than not. As far as your reasons 4 and 5, I would say they are the same thing, i.e. user error. I chose not to mention them because they are easily correctible by any decent photographer with some knowledge of their equipment.

kerbouchard; you hit the nail!!!!!!!!!!! I can't thank you enough for not joining the "mob.!" There is so many opposing theories and advice and if I were to simply apply it all they would all negate each other! Just so everyone knows, last week I practiced on still life. I worked on metering and focusing. I am not trying to conquer lighting and exposure yet, just focusing. Is it so criminal that I got a speedlight, was excited to test drive it, and strapped it on for a trial during a shoot? This is clearly some sort of federal offence in photography world.
Not even a little bit, and anyone who thinks so is "special".
I would say that you should avoid getting into the habit of firing the speedlight directly at your subject. Bouncing off the ceiling, walls, your husband.... all better than straight on. You can pick up a gray card (or cap) and set your WB, or you can adjust in post if your ceilings are casting an unflattering color.

Kerbouchard said:
1) Lack of contrast
3) Equipment malfunction

I opened this post to reply, and then got roped into a Level of Lego Star Wars 3...when I posted, I saw AMOMENT had posted a bunch of replies...I keep thinking back to KmH's short post, with regard to his comment about repeatedly seeking C&C over a really short time frame, one that ought to be a time frame measured IN MONTHS, not in weeks, is as he put it, "counterproductive". And that Kerby, is where I think you're wayyyyyy off base in chastzing the "mob"...the OP has made a fundamental mistake I have seen over 30+ years....expecting to take a bunch of photos, in a VERY short time frame, and to miraculously become "good". And, she wants it "SO SO SO" much to be like that. You gave her a quick recipe, but it might as well be in Greek, if you expect a newbie to be able to assimilate that information and put it into practice.

Ya gotta be able to walk before you can run.

Just saw your edit...

Doesn't take a chef to follow a recipe. Doesn't take a professional photographer to adjust a few settings, either.

A mom with a cookbook can make some great food just like a mom with a camera can take some great shots with proper settings.

Oh, and FWIW, my quick recipe works...and you know it. No, it's not a Fillet Mignon from the top steak house in the country, but it sure does make a good Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole.

Last edited:
They even have different theories on the best ways to learn. I have a photographer friend in Texas who is probably the most amazing photographer I have ever seen! Her advice to me is the opposite of everyone on here. She says, get your head out of the book and don't spend hours of time on all of the that "photo mumbo jumbo" (lol exact words) get out there and shoot, shoot all day, different times, different people." That is how she learned and she is now extremely successful! People seek out her work from around the country. If she didn't live in Texas, she could be of more help to me.

zOMFG..advice from another photo-illiterate, this one from Texas, referring to "photo mumbo jumbo." Let me guess-she is a "natural light photographer". lolz... Her advice sounds EXACTLY like what somebody who has no training, is self-taught within the last five years, and frames every single shot as a horizonta, would givel!! As far as being sought-out by people...I have seen some of the absolutely most-horrid family photogs, MWACS universally, who have people coming to them from friend networks from across 2 and 3 and even 4 states...and their work is almost universally what I would call"Facebook Photographer" stuff...a red-velvet upholstered chair out in a field...old run-down barns and cattle corrals!!!....BRIGHT, neon colored clothes, saturation in post cranked to MAXIMUM, eyes "highlighted" and "improved" to give that glazed-over, 'I just saw Geeezus and I'm a toddler' look!!! in post, selective colored mums pinned in baby girls' hair, etc,etc. There was a woman located in Colorado who allegedly had people coming from as far as Washington, Oregon, and California...I went and looked at her pages...zOMG...awful,cheezy, appealing to 20-something moms....seems like she had family in Washington, Oregon, California...but she had "customers" from all across the west...lol...sure.

Natural Light Photographer. The most amazing photographer I have seen. "Photo mumbo jumbo".

Maybe your friend shoots in Professional mode all the time too!! Ahhh, AMOMENT, you do seem like a dear, dear lady. I would suggest taking a class at the local community college or adult education center, or buying any one of a dozen photography books written by John Hedgecoe. I know it must be confusing to you. I want to see you get better. I do. ANd I can see improvement in your work, but as Keith (KmH) mentioned, you seem to be looking for improvement in a timeline of mere weeks, instead of months. I'm sorry, but you know, I would like to be in good enough shape to run a marathon by Valentine's Day 2012....but a more-realistic goal for "me", with my background and age and running experience, is more like 30 months from now--min-i-mum. If ever!!! If you do want to improve, as fjrabon (spelling) mentioned, you need to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PRACTICING. One needs to understand the theory, the actual "science" underlying every aspect of every technique, in order to master things. Ask your "photo mumbo jumbo", "most amazing photographer ever" friend from texas, and ask her how the inverse square law applied when shooting an indoor studio portrait, and she'll probably stare back at you like an imbecile, and mutter something under her breath.

If you want a photography education, by all means, get one. But you will never earn a degree in weeks. So, enjoy the new gear. Enjoy the kids and the nice flash hubby bought you. Take lots of photos. And work on things at your own pace. Learn WHAT the camera controls can do. Like, flash exposure compensation. Wishing you good luck, and a merry Christmas season!

What I have learned more than ANYTHING ON THIS FORUM, is that photography is not a science, it is an art! People have different theories and different methods for achieving the right exposure, sharpness, etc.

Wrong, photography is part art and part science. Simple as that. You can take a awfully boring picture and call it art all you want. Now I am not saying that yours are ****ty at all. I am just using that as a demonstration. Photography is part science and part art. But understanding the science goes along way to making the art successful.

AMOMENT: There have been more people here in the forum who have tried to help you than is usual.. from what I have seen. There have been more pages of comments, posts, critique's, etc... generated over your questions, skills, etc... than usually occurs. We have repeatedly told you what you need to do to fix the issues you are having... and you seem to be unable (or unwilling) to apply that information.

As a "teacher and a professional", you should be able to take the BASIC information that has been given to you.. and utilize it. You have made improvements.. but then you go backwards for whatever reason. I am sorry that people have been rude to you, but possibly they have run out of patience? I was one of the first people to reply to your pleas for help.. and stated at that time that your shutter speed should be kept above a certain speed, that you needed to close down your aperture, etc.... and as yet those things are not yet a constant in your photography, even though many others have reiterated the same advice to you. I stopped posting in your threads, because I got tired to saying the same thing over and over... without results.

I do hope that you are a better teacher, than you are a student! (and stating that you are a teacher and a professional doesn't mean anything.... if you are unable to act and learn in an intelligent manner to back that up!)

I am not trying to be rude.. just trying to explain why people may have been rude to you. I actually started to wonder if you were a troll... purposely doing things like that to make people angry, but in your persistence.. I have decided you are not a troll. However, I do not understand WHY you cannot grasp the basic concepts that have been gone over (and over and over!)

I think it's great to get out there and practice. However, you need to practice correctly to improve. Snapping a lot of pictures won't automatically turn you into a great photographer. You need to learn how to recognize your flaws, your weakness, and how to correct and improve them. Practice doesn't make perfect but practice correctly will make perfect, IMHO.

Photography IS an art, but it is underlaid by physical principles. Ignore those, and you struggle. Learn to use them, and you remove an impediment to your art. To progress in the acquisition of any skill, it helps to break down the learning exercise to as few variables as possible, so that you can work on understanding THAT variable, mastering it, then progressing to the next. There is much to be gained by practice, but for it to be effective, it also helps to have a game plan. For instance, nailing the focus under different situations, then learning to expose, then learning to use the flash, and so on. Your friend may have learned to do it by trial and error (as have I), but when comparing my work to that of more "seasoned" photographers, I found out I had gaping holes in my understanding of how light works. So, despite having had 40+ years of "experience", I can say that doing the same thing badly won't change it. It is only when you begin to create a conceptual structure that you can see what you are working on, where the structure is weak and where you've got it nailed.

As a teacher, you know that knowledge is built up from fundamental principles, and that presenting a student with a challenge beyond their knowledge base is often an excercise in frustration and futility. Yet you are learning photography in dribs and drabs, and trying to collate your experience into a meaningful structure. While not impossible, it is hard. A lot of the advice you got is actually pretty consistent, although there are differences of opinion on the exact sequence. The reason that some have said that you should NOT use flash yet, is that flash exposures are more complicated than "natural light" exposures. Yet in other ways, they overcome the lack of light and can improve the situation. If I were mentoring you, I'd suggest trying to keep things simple. Determine what you have got working, and what you haven't. If you want to use a forum like TPF, show the specific issue you're working on, make it clear that THAT is the issue, and nothing else, and let people comment on it. Once the "issue" is trashed to death, and you feel you have a good handle on it, move to the next one. This being the internet, you'll always have some "noise" mixed in with reasonably good advice and occasionally great advice. Getting a "BS" filter is an important skill to extract maximum utility out of this medium. But I think you already knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back