I suck at photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you look at those other person's photos, what about them is better?
What are they doing that you can't do?

1) Shoot;
2) Shoot again; and
3) At the end of the day when you think you're done, shoot some more.

Photography is a lot (?) of things, one of which is craft. Like any craft, one will/should get better over time as you build up your skills through experience.

Craft is meaningless if you don't understand where your work is falling short in your own estimation.
I looked at your Flickr photostream, and without comparing you to anyone else, your exposure and sharpness and use of DOF is fine, so as far as the very basic craft is concerned, you're good.
Where I think you really fall down is composition and some emotional involvement in the subject.
IMO, your images are emotionally flat, they are just pictures of what was in the frame.
The subjects are just there.

Except, every once in a while, a really great image pops out.
Like this one.

View attachment 127644

You obviously had to see that, and think there was something beautiful about that scene and you captured it.
Too many others are just, meh, it's here and I should take a picture.
What is it about this shot that is so great?

There is that beautiful misty mysterious morning and then that little patch of snow just sets the scene and tells the viewer so much about the shot.
Too many others, you see something interesting but don't take the time to figure out what is really new and interesting to show the viewer.
Yes, that is a red car, nice paint job but what is really interesting is that the car is transformed in the reflection. All the rest of the stuff is extra. We've seen a million old cars with great paint jobs. What is there about this that makes it stand out.
Crappy photography is easy. See something and snap the picture, the camera does 95% of the work.

What's hard is making some new and interesting out of the mundane and capturing that.
And Gary is totally right, no lens or camera will do the work.

View attachment 127645

I didn't even see this point, that picture I took of the misty winter morning, I have no idea what I was thinking when I took it. In post, I almost deleted because I thought it was a crap shot but I decided to roll with it and put it on Flickr which I guess people ended up liking, though I never liked it.

It seems like the photos I hate the most, people seem to love. I don't understand it.

You said something about emotion and the truth is, I as a person have little to no emotion and maybe that's why. I don't know.

View attachment 127644
It seems like the photos I hate the most, people seem to love. I don't understand it.

I'm not a psychiatrist and this isn't the place for it but you have to do some real work - and you're not.
It's not the taking of pictures as a physical act that is important, what is important is looking for things you see as interesting and want to record, then composing the picture around that. Then look at the image and try to see if it actually shows what you think.

OK. Dandelion in snow.
Is snow grey? Are dandelions dull?
Dull flower in grey snow? Is that the point of the picture?
upload_2016-9-16_16-45-48.png

Isn't the snow actually white, not brilliant on a dull day, but whiter because that's the impression you want to give. This is snow and the flower is bright - and it needs to be sharpened so it doesn't look dull and OOF.

Those people who are making better photos are actually working at it because they're doing what you aren't; which is looking at every picture and making it be the best it can.

upload_2016-9-16_16-45-39.png

Downy Woodpecker, sharp but it's sitting in the middle of all that space. Everything in the picture is in portrait mode, why is teh photo in landscape?

Geez, Louise. You aren't looking and thinking about your pictures.
Maybe you won't be the best photographer in the world but at least work at it.
Figure out how each picture could look better - and try some things.

upload_2016-9-16_16-53-1.png

kind of funny you should say that. I went through this a few years ago, well decades anyway and a well known bird shooter said to me .....

"Maybe you are a better clicker than you are a picker"

So now days I try and pick carefully what I post up.

Danny.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Every now and again I think I will just format all my drives too. When I am gone will the kids want all the video and photos? I think we all hit a slump. I looked at your Flickr account and you have some wonderful images. One with the cat that had light/shadow stripes stands out to me. Seeing the light and the shadows.

Settings are the tough part, I've been trying to shoot in manual mode with auto ISO but I don't know how many times already I have missed moments because I can't change the settings fast enough and then I start freaking out and angry and then the moment is gone.

I am all thumbs at times trying to change all of the settings. What I started doing was set the aperture first and then set the ISO high enough to give me plenty of room on the shutter speed to change on the fly. Most of the time I am only changing the shutter speed. If I am trying to get photos of the grandkids or dogs I set the aperture and ISO high enough so I can keep the shutter at 200 minimum and max can be a lot higher. It all depends on the light. I try not to go too high on the ISO. If indoors maybe 640. I also take lots of photos indoors just for practice and format the card. The photos never make it to the computer.

We've all been there bud. We also tend to the harshest critics of our work. It's easy to look at other people's portfolios and compare it to our own and be like "FML". People like my work. I've won awards and numerous competitions, been published in multiple magazines, even had a couple of my images go somewhat "viral" over the past couple of years. I still look at my stuff and compare it to my favourite photographers and think "FML", why do I even bother?

But like you, I love photography. I love the creative aspect of it or capturing that candid moment that would forever be lost. I got thrust out of my comfort zone a few weeks back, begrudgingly shooting a karate class for someone and doing the portraits too. Sports photography holds absolutely zero interest for me. The location had cluttered backgrounds no matter where you looked and the lighting sucked too. While the portraits were ok, the action shots and the group shots I hated. It knocked my confidence somewhat too.

This made me realize that it's better to focus upon what you enjoy and get creative with that, rather than shooting everything and anything just because you're asked or feel compelled because you're a photographer or do photography. When the fun get sucked out of it, it extinguishes your passion. When you're out of your comfort zone, the resulting images probably will suck because you get flustered and your mind goes blank. Things happen too quickly, outside of your control and you literally feel like you have no idea what you're doing. Almost like you are a total noob holding a DSLR for the first time. I screwed up by leaving my settings unchanged from the posed portraits in the makeshift studio I had created at the venue. I forgot to change them when doing the action shots, because I was running around like a thing possessed and sweating like a pig in a butcher's shop to boot.

For some people, being out of their comfort zone works for them. They enjoy the challenge and that's great. For others, it's just a stressful situation that often results in a negative experience. So ultimately it depends upon the individual. If like me you are the latter, stick to what you enjoy or what you are good at and push yourself to continually raise the bar on your work (attention to detail, envisaging a shot before you even take it, or having a concept that you want to create), so that you don't stagnate and get bored of what you do. If something else inspires you then pursue that too.

I primarily do portraiture but, I also really enjoy wildlife photography as well. This keeps things interesting for me. On the odd occasion I do product photos but I find them a chore and hard to be inspired. Wedding photography and sports you can keep. I don't like the pressure involved with it. I enjoy the creative control and I suppose wildlife photography is the challenge of unpredictability. However, if I miss a shot it's no big whoop. I haven't ruined someone's day and I'm under no stress. If I come away with a nice shot, then it's a bonus. If I don't, it's not the end of the world.

My advice to you would be to figure out what you enjoy most, then identify areas where you feel you could improve upon it. After that you just need a game plan on how you're going to achieve it.

Thanks guys, but I think the best thing to do is just give up. I'm never going to be that good or smart like you guys. I just can't do it. Photography is the only thing I have, I don't have anything else I like. If I give this up, I'm done with life.

I understand how you feel, as I've been there myself. Like you I've struggled with depression and anxiety since I was in my early 20s. I'm 39 in a few days. I lost 10 years of my life through agoraphobia, as a result of PTSD and other health related issues. My world got incredibly small until I never left my house save for a few occasions, for a decade. I'd have panic attacks for no reason. I could wake up and have one. Thankfully I'm much better now, largely as a result of pro-biotics, believe it or not!

Like you I find photography a release and a way to make life more bearable. I also found that when I lost the enjoyment, through pressure either externally or me getting frustrated, that it really was detrimental to the passion of it. Finding it again is key and identifying what sucks the enjoyment out of photography for you. I go out quite often to nature parks to do wildlife photography. 7/10 times I don't even get the camera out of the bag. End up walking around for miles without seeing a damn thing. Still, it's nice to get out and walk in the fresh air and sunshine. When I do get the camera out, it's usually for something worthwhile.

Personally, I think you're putting to much expectation and pressure upon yourself to perform or hold yourself up to someone else's standards. Not everyone can paint like Rembrandt, Constable or Michaelangelo. That doesn't mean they shouldn't paint. The same is true of photography. Paint for you, because you enjoy it. Not to be Rembrandt.

Thanks guys, but I think the best thing to do is just give up. I'm never going to be that good or smart like you guys. I just can't do it. Photography is the only thing I have, I don't have anything else I like. If I give this up, I'm done with life.

Nothings worth talking like that. There's plenty out there. You just have to allow yourself to see it.

You sound like your on the brink of a troubled decision brother. No temporary problem is worth the permanent solution. Find an outlet and don't quit.

Life has been really tough for me this year and I seriously don't know if I can make it through another year like this.

Life makes me scared. Growing up went by so fast...

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

I guess one of the best things I can do is just keep pressing that shutter button, try new things and not to overthink it and just take my time.

I know a few mentioned I should focus on one subject, but I like photographing everything...that's what makes it so difficult. What is exactly wrong with photographing all sorts of subjects?
Nothing at all.

But if in post you see something you want to shoot in a different way, often it is hard to recreate that scene. I walk the dog about three miles every day, through the same parks and about the same time. I always have a camera with me. I always look for something to shoot. If in post I see something I think I can improve ... the next day I can easily be back at the same spot. Sometime I'll take a long lens, other times a macro but mostly I take a 50mm on a FF or a 32mm on a crop. I work at creativity, angles and lighting. Focusing my eyes to see something interesting that 99% of the people won't see and walk on by.

For starters try walking around your neighborhood. A PAD thing. You're lucky to have seasons with radically changing environment. I'm stuck with much of the same all year round. Besides, the daily stroll couldn't hurt.

I should bring my camera on my afternoon hike, but I do it mainly for exercise so photography isn't really in my mind at that moment and for some reason, I always have a fear that someone is going to tell to stop taking photos or something. I'm just a paranoid person, always have been lol.
Yes, multi-task. You will be surprised how toting a camera sharpens your vision. You'll see a lot more with a camera than without. You may have to walk longer to compensate for the stops. Don't worry about others ... Which is easier said than done ... I suspect you already walk/hike with a camera (cell phone) ... Next time take something a bit larger.

Why shoot at manual if that's hampering you? Use any mode. Go out there and shoot.

Life has been really tough for me this year and I seriously don't know if I can make it through another year like this.

We all get roughed up by life, remember that you're not alone. That doesn't make life any easier, but there is solice in knowing we're all in this race together. For now, until you get over the rough patch, take it one day at a time, one step at a time, one photo at a time. After awhile you'll be miles down the road and with a new portfolio to show for all those one step, one day and one photo times.

Any children's hospitals near you. If there is, take a walk through the wards and take a good look, then have a chat to some of the parents. Just when we think we have it hard .....

Danny.

We all get roughed up by life, remember that you're not alone. That doesn't make life any easier, but there is solice in knowing we're all in this race together. For now, until you get over the rough patch, take it one day at a time, one step at a time, one photo at a time. After awhile you'll be miles down the road and with a new portfolio to show for all those one step, one day and one photo times.

I'm always constantly worrying about tomorrow, I can't get it out of head. I don't know how many times I've almost signed my life away to the military but I can't even do that because of medical reasons. I'm just a failure lol.

Any children's hospitals near you. If there is, take a walk through the wards and take a good look, then have a chat to some of the parents. Just when we think we have it hard .....

Danny.

I completely understand, I could have it far far worse. But I don't think its fair to say to everyone who is having a hard time that they could have it worse, I think we all know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back