I think I got it! C&C PLEASE

Son Dean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, after taking the advice of Computer Generated, I decided to fill more of the frame with the subject. I also took my time with photoshop and learned a few things. What do ya think?

Captain Backfire
CaptainBackfire.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:
Filled the frame alright, but you also cut off his ears and one nostril. Avoid cutting things out if it makes it look slightly awkward. (Awkward is such an awkward looking word isn't it?)

Yeah, that was unintended. As an experiment, I took a photo that was slightly overexposed and messed with the curves. This was the first time I ever tried messing with that and the results surprised me so, I kept at it to see if I could get it 'right'. With the exception of the ears and the nostril, I just wanted to see if I was on the right path. I have a few more images that came out MUCH better. I'll PS those a touch and put em up in a few. Thanks for the comment, they make me better. ;-)

Awkward is an awkward word alright. lol.

The blue gate is distracting. Maybe you contrasted/saturated a little too much.

The blue gate is distracting. Maybe you contrasted/saturated a little too much.

The only editing I did was to the curves and sharpness. Im new to photoshop. Are "curves" and "brightness/contrast" the same thing? If so, then you may be right, but the gate actually is a bright blue.

Here is one more... Its a bit grainy, because I was experimenting with ISO & shutter speed and forgot to lower the ISO on this shot...

Hay Bag
haybag.jpg

Last edited:
I like the second one. It's simple and composed well, no missing ears or nostrils this time. It has a "don't bug me, I'm eating" feel to it. Although it would have been confirmed had the horse had a bit of straw hanging out of its mouth.

The ISO is fine (EXIF says 640). I don't notice any noise in this size, except in the shadow above and to the right of the horse's head. I don't find it distracting.

Unless you're going to make gigantic prints from your photos I wouldn't worry too much about noise. A high ISO could mean the difference between getting the shot or not, especially with action shots. You can always run it through Noise Ninja or equivalent afterward.

I leave auto ISO feature on all the time in my D80. It's quite handy.

Hey Son, great photos. I personally like the first one the best. I agree that the missing pieces of the horse kinda miss a bit but the composition is defiantly better... IMO. The gate is a bit distracting not sure if desaturation would work on that or not though. Great improvements here! Very impressed from the original shots taken.

Thank you both for the comments. Computer, the pics in my very first thread were the first pics I ever took with my camera, and this is from three months ago. Your comment means a lot! Each day I try something different to see what I can come up with. Today, I went to a local amusement park with my sis, brother in law and friends. Here are a few that I snapped today...

Playland Beach
happyplaylandcopy.jpg

Bedoflowers
Bedoflowerscopy.jpg

The Wheel
TheWheel.jpg

Rocks
Rockscopy.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set of images, very well exposed. I'd maybe give 2, 3 and 4 a touch more contrast but then I always say that, :) it's down to taste really.

2 could be framed slightly better perhaps, the top of the building and the edge of the flower beds are missing

Boosting recovery in the RAW editor (assuming you're shooting in RAW and using CS3 will maybe give you a little more cloud detail in 3. 1 is probably the best looking but 3 should be if you follow me.

Good job though, keep at it.

Nice set of images, very well exposed. I'd maybe give 2, 3 and 4 a touch more contrast but then I always say that, :) it's down to taste really.

2 could be framed slightly better perhaps, the top of the building and the edge of the flower beds are missing

Boosting recovery in the RAW editor (assuming you're shooting in RAW and using CS3 will maybe give you a little more cloud detail in 3. 1 is probably the best looking but 3 should be if you follow me.

Good job though, keep at it.

Thanks Resin. Funny how you say that about the contrast on 2. Before I posted the pic I was messing with the contrast in PS and decided not to save my tinkering. I was afraid that it would have looked too enhanced and opted to scrap it... but seeing it next to the Playland Beach image, it does look like its missing something... And I had snapped that pic really quick too. I was walking to my car and decided to stop for 2 secs, snap the pic and keep moving. Didnt have much time to compose that one because there were people walking behind me, but afterwards I saw it was fairly even and decided to go with it ;) (much like my Captain Backfire image at the start of this thread).

Yesterday was my first attempt at shooting in RAW. When I get home from work today I will see if I can bring out the clouds a little more in The Wheel (that was actually my favorite shot).

Thanks so much for the advice! Oh yeah, I am using CS3 ;-)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back