I think I'm finally happy with my list

Fedaykin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
hebercollphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Of lenses I want to get that is. I plan to shoot mainly portraiture professionally. But I also like to dabble in street photography and a little landscape.

Knowing that, I've read and looked at samples/tests, etc; and I have come up with this list(on order of purchase more or less) of lenses I might buy in the coming years.

Right now I have a 1000D+ Tammy17-50 non VC+EF 50mm 1.8 II. Plan to upgrade the body to a 50D by the end of the year. Here goes:

-EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro: For portraiture and to curb my interest in Macro. Seems like a good, versatile lens.

-Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm f/2.8 ZE: So far I shoot my Tammy at around 20/30mm about 90% of the time I use it, so I'd love a prime in that focal length on crop. I go with Zeiss rather than Canon's 24 since the 21mm would couple better with the 35mm(see below), plus I really like how the Zeiss lenses render images and don't really need AF for what I'd use it for.

--After having acquired a FF camera, be it a 5D MkII(III?), or a 1Ds(Mk IV?). And keeping the 50D and other lenses as a backup/second camera.

-Zeiss 50mm f/2 Makro Planar ZE: To replace 50 1.8. I'd get the EF 1.4 or 1.2 but the Zeiss is sharper from what I've read and seen and it produces a different looks than any other lenses.

-EF 35mm f/1.4L USM: To fill the 21mm's purpose on crop. Would use the 21mm on FF when I want a wider angle; I doubt I'd ever need wider than that, having shot my Tammy at 17mm and it being enough.

-EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM: For portraiture. Is as sharp as the 85L and 135L, Would be cheaper to get this than both of those to cover that focal range.

All in all about a $7,000 investment(less as time passes and prices drop) that would provide me with some of the best(if not the best) lenses at their respective focal lengths, which would cover all my photography interests for a long time. With that setup I doubt I'd have to buy anything else, at least for many many years.

What do you guys think?

P.S. If I find myself needing AF on 50mm I'd probably go with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 or Canon 50mm 1.4 II.

I have been talked into some sense elsewhere. I have decided to better spend what little money I have and get a 24-70 and 70-200 f/4 IS instead. At least until I have enough money to satisfy my gear lust without money being an issue.

I'm also considering getting a 5D Classic instead of a 50D.

I have been talked into some sense elsewhere. I have decided to better spend what little money I have and get a 24-70 and 70-200 f/4 IS instead. At least until I have enough money to satisfy my gear lust without money being an issue.

You won't be dissapointed with the 24-70L. I gave up my 50mm 1.8 to put some money towards it but absolutely love the lens. A bit heavy and the hood is huge but not enough to turn down the quality of the glass. I'm looking to get a 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM myself...when money is available is another story haha :lol:

You won't be dissapointed with the 24-70L. I gave up my 50mm 1.8 to put some money towards it but absolutely love the lens. A bit heavy and the hood is huge but not enough to turn down the quality of the glass. I'm looking to get a 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM myself...when money is available is another story haha :lol:

Haha thanks for the input. For now I'm thinking of getting the 100mm Macro and a either a 40D or 50D(hopefully the latter if 60D is announced and 50D's price drops) and shooting with that body with the Tamron 17-50 and the 100 Macro. Then when I have the money I'll get a 5D and the 24-70+70-200.

Most reactions

Back