I think I'm gonna be sick...

Okay... you've got me. That was not my last post. ;)
lol

I really need to work on my lighting, getting it perfect. That will help my sharpness.
Lighting... an extremely important subject in weddings.
Of course IMHO the only good flash is off camera (or at the VERY least, off-axis), flash, but the thing is we do not always have the luxury of time to set things up and deal with things as they arrive.

The knowledge, which I feel you are lacking, is displayed by how you deal with these situations.

Your focus was not set incorrectly, and indeed if I am going to use spot or center metering, it *should* more accurately expose and focus your pictures and, you can easily do this, if you understand how.

But where your mistake was (and it is a simple TECHNICAL one), was in assuming that the LIGHT or EXPOSURE metering will stay the same after recomposition... which it does not. Upon recomposing, unless you LOCK it in beforehand, it changes! Not locking it in will cause all kinds of weird issues like improperly exposed or improperly focused pictures.

I have seen someone have an "a-ha!" moment where they suddenly understood that:
- if they aimed the focus/exposure point in the proper area of the picture
- then locked in the exposure values
- then recomposed the picture
- then focused and took the picture

... that 99% of their pictures not only came out properly exposed, but also came out clearer and sharper (1% margin for user error and assumes you understand WHAT to meter on vs what to focus on... 2 VERY different things!).

We do not even know what kind of camera or equipment you have, what lighting equipment you have or your true level of experience... however, to be able to lock in the exposure on a Nikon D700, use custom settings F7 or custom settings F6 on a Nikon D3 so that all you do is meter against what you want, press a button locking in the exposure, recompose, focus and get the shot.

Also, I had my focus meter set to center and I would focus and then reframe the picture. That wasn't working for me, at least not right now. It may have caused me to be more shaky and allow the subject time to move from that focused point.
Nope, I really doubt that. If you had the "a-ha"moment above, you should know why. Recomposing should not make you "more shaky" ;)

Those are my two main issues right now that I'll be working on.

May I suggest that you augment your knowledge of photography in the following manner:

- Learn your basics using [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228408970&sr=8-1"]THIS[/ame]
- Learn to nail your exposures using THIS
- Improve your composition skills using THIS
- Improve you lighting skills with battery powered flash, go HERE and HERE
- Interact with other wedding professionals, know the market and business trends and learn how THEY do it.
- Get to know your equipment better, read your camera manual or get 3rd party manuals to supplement.
- Finally, if you are going to represent yourself as a wedding professional, you will have to improve your post processing skills... a lot. Use professional tools (CS3 or CS4 or at the VERY least LightRoom v.2.x for the basics). You need to know how to pull out the BEST out of every picture that goes to the client.

- I separated this one because I wanted to put a strong emphasis on this and I want you to take this suggestion extemely seriously. Do whatever it takes to find a local GOOD professional wedding photographer, mentor under them and learn from them. Learn the photography and business aspects... learn them well. If you do this and do it right, I can guarantee that you will thank me later one day. Maybe not here or openly, but you WILL thank me for pushing this suggestion on you.

Look for posts from me in the future with hopefully some great examples of better pictures.
Wrong attitude... no "hopefully" are allowed. YOU MUST improve. There are no ifs, buts or maybes. It is either that or seriously consider leaving the field... you owe that to your clients and yourself.

How is that for being harsh... lol
Good luck. ;)

seriously need some training. either as working with a pro, or classes. You should offer to assist a pro in your area, then get to the point that you can consistently get good shots of your family and friends, and also do a good job assisting. Then you move on to other people through tpf shoots ultimately ending up charging money after all that

You did answer my question Jerry. You didn't mean location as in "nice foresty area," you meant location as in the composition in a particular location to avoid negative items such as blown out areas, etc.

I really need some advice. I have had such a hard week. I've gotten multiple pictures back to give to clients that I've been very unhappy with. I have a wedding to shoot soon (stressed out!), more family sessions to shoot. I don't have the energy to spend to much time trying to correct my errors, and I am starting to doubt my ability even exists. I guess my biggest question is, how do I get clear pictures?!!! Tell me if this is wrong to do, I focus on their eyes, hold the focus, reposition, and then take the picture. I tried the tripod and the pictures still came out about the same. I want CRISP, CLEAR images and I'm not getting any. Any advice would be SOOOOO welcomed.

You're shooting weddings professionally and you don't have your technique down already? Yeesh.

Having said that, I looked at your photos linked to in this thread and you actually have a decent eye for composition. I noticed you shot one of them at f/2 and the other at f/1.6 - that'd explain your narrow focus (softness) issues. You can still get decent background separation if you stop down a bit - proximity to subject & focal length trump aperture for DOF control.

Thank you everyone for your comments and the recommendations on how to get better. I appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back