I think I'm seeing excessive noise???

cpimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I bought my fujifilm s5100 like a week ago and I am really experiencing quite a bit of noise. Maybe its just me so I included a couple sample shots. What do you guys think, whats going wrong?
DSCF0524Custom.jpg

DSCF0541Custom.jpg

I have owned a couple fuji point and shoot cameras (im not sure if yours is point or shoot or not). But both of them I owned had HORRIBLE noise problems (they looked just like your pics). My fuji cameras were some of the lower end models though (a210, etc.)

Now I have my canon 20D and dont worry about noise anymore.

That looks about right for a digital point & shoot camera. The sensors on those things are just so small...you get noise...especially with higher ISO settings.

A DSLR with a larger sensor will produce images with far less noise.

well, after photoshop I'm really not dissapointed with the shot. I guess i'll just have to get over it... and the model camera I have is halfway between a DSLR and a point and shoot. Thanks for the ideas.

There are a few good noise reduction programs out there...so yes, you can deal with the noise.

The 'SLR-like' cameras, like yours, have a lot of the features of SLR cameras, pretty good lenses and decent image quality. However, they use the same sensors as the little cameras. Yours is 1/2.7 " (5.27 x 3.96 mm). Compare that to something like the Rebel XT (22.2 x 14.8 mm)...you will see that the DSLR sensor is much bigger even though it only records twice as many mega pixels. That's why there is much less noise from a DSLR.

I don't mean to belittle your camera or to make you feel bad about your purchase. You can get great images from it. You will just have to deal with the noise.

well, those were the original images posted earlier... the colouring, noise, everything seems pretty weird. The post photoshop image I'm pretty pleased with...
DSCF0541fpogdCustom.jpg

and how might i go about dealing with noise in photoshop, I'm not that familiar with the program

Well, getting rid of noise means blurring the photo some. You can try the dust and scratches filter, but you'll need to do a careful USM afterwards. Also try duplicating the background layer, gaussian blur at 6 pixels, then reduce the layer opacity down, from 20%-50%.

I just realized the unsharp mask created some noise on the picture i posted above... that was a really weird picture, I am not finding excessive noise in many of my shots

Most reactions

New Topics

Back