I think we may have set a new record...

Add to that a stylist, or at least someone with a comb (guess it must have been breezy with the windows open). Not that she isn't a lovely young woman, but realistically I don't know that modeling is gonna happen... (I watch Project Runway, those models know how to pose and walk to show the clothing, etc.; it takes more than a handful of photos and calling it a portfolio.)

Digital files don't cost nothing... what about the camera, and lenses, and a new camera to upgrade eventually? and a backup camera, and media cards, and a computer with a good monitor, and an internet connection, and photo editing software, and eventually a new computer... and paper and ink and a printer for those 9x12" prints she wants for 'no pay'?

And that's just the equipment, then there's time - time has value. Not just the session, but all the time (and possibly money) that photographers put into learning and developing skills. That's the thing with creative work - talent has value, it's just harder to put a price on something like that. Think about almost any other service, you pay for parts/equipment, but mostly for time and expertise.

I'm not sure this is just for a portfolio anyway because she wants something specific - three poses, four 9x12" prints - so there must be some specific purpose in mind.

Add to that a stylist, or at least someone with a comb (guess it must have been breezy with the windows open). Not that she isn't a lovely young woman, but realistically I don't know that modeling is gonna happen... (I watch Project Runway, those models know how to pose and walk to show the clothing, etc.; it takes more than a handful of photos and calling it a portfolio.)

Digital files don't cost nothing... what about the camera, and lenses, and a new camera to upgrade eventually? and a backup camera, and media cards, and a computer with a good monitor, and an internet connection, and photo editing software, and eventually a new computer... and paper and ink and a printer for those 9x12" prints she wants for 'no pay'?

And that's just the equipment, then there's time - time has value. Not just the session, but all the time (and possibly money) that photographers put into learning and developing skills. That's the thing with creative work - talent has value, it's just harder to put a price on something like that. Think about almost any other service, you pay for parts/equipment, but mostly for time and expertise.

I'm not sure this is just for a portfolio anyway because she wants something specific - three poses, four 9x12" prints - so there must be some specific purpose in mind.
hmmm

Just asked the wife.... I'm in trouble again...What was I thinking?

1st mistake, after 39 years, I've learned "tis better to ask forgiveness", because once I get past the 3 day barrier she won't remember it anyhow :bouncingsmileys:

...I'm not sure this is just for a portfolio anyway because she wants something specific - three poses, four 9x12" prints - so there must be some specific purpose in mind.
Coincidentally this is exactly what the only real agency in town requires as part of their application. I suspect she is going to be sorely disappointed with her results.

You're missing the part where the photographers who to TFP shoots are doing it to build a portfolio so they have a body of work to show to book paid shoots.

Generally photographers doing TF work aren't working professionals, they're amateurs trying to build a name for themselves and step to the professional level. Like me.

...Generally photographers doing TF work aren't working professionals, they're amateurs trying to build a name for themselves and step to the professional level. Like me.
Or, as I often do, for testing purposes... "Hey I wonder how it would look if I did this with this to that..." IMO, this isn't TF* shoot material because she's specifying exactly what she wants with no discussion about what the photographer might want. When I do TF* work, it's always half for me and half for the model. So if it's a 90 minute session, 45 minutes are me shooting what I want, and 45 what the model wants.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back