I thought i was careful... There is still dust in my camera

deudeu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just took some pictures of white wall at f16 and i am pretty sure that there is a lot of dust in there.
I have a GX-10 which is weather sealed, and i have only two lenses.
I have been switching around a little bit lately since i bought a 50mm prime a month ago.
I always try to be as quick as possible when i do that but i guess i am doing something wrong at one point or another.
Is there stupid things i should not be doing? Do you have some tips on how to keep dust out of there?

There are plenty of threads on how to get dust out... I know what i have to do now....

point the camera down when changing lenses, get a giottos rocket blower for cleaning out dust, be quick, but not clumsy.

I have a dust problem also - there's quite a bit in the chamber still i think - It's interesting cause I found an article about sensor dust in a canon 400D that was there when it was new - So you never know how long its been there for in a camera etc - some may have been in there since you got it and its now just moved to the sensor etc.... Have to say I didn't notice the dust until i was doing pics over F22 - normal pics were perfect.

Got a sensor brush the other day as air wasn't working (dust being held by static) and for the 1st time in a month or so I don't have hardly any marks even at F36 YAY. I know some of the rubbish is bound to re-appear though cause of how dirty the chamber appears to be - thats the next clean up on my agenda :D

I've got dust in mine as well. Very visible in my reversed macro's and takes awhile to clone it all out. I'm gonna order the Rocket Blower on my next BHPhoto order. It's currently in my wish list with a tripod so hopefully I can order those soon. It's a pain....I spend as much time with the clone tool as I do getting the shot.

Accept your new fiends. You will get dust in there. It's just a matter of time. I get it in constantly. Takes about 20 seconds to clean. Get used to it.

I got a giotto air rocket this morning and cleaned up my sensor.
The problem is somewhat solved.
Apparently it's easy to get the big dust particles out, not so easy to get the smaller ones.
The smaller dust spots still show at f36, but when do you shoot f36 anyways.
Everything seams under control under f16.

Now little question: Am i supposed to see the remaining dust when i look at the sensor? I looked in there and nothing shows on the sensor. Is it because what is left is too small for my crappy human eyes, or is it because the dust is not on the sensor but somewhere else?

Get a plain white piece of paper, and turn your flash on, and take a picture of the paper so that is fills up the whole frame, if there is remaining dust, it will show up as black dots on the picture.

i am a dust magnet, you can see a pic of my problem in a thread i started recently.

I tried a blower, it only made things worse. My dust doesnt seem to want to blow off. Its stuck onto the sensor pretty good.

Get a plain white piece of paper, and turn your flash on, and take a picture of the paper so that is fills up the whole frame, if there is remaining dust, it will show up as black dots on the picture.

I know how to check for it in the pictures. The question was, if i see dust in the pictures, shouldn't i be able to see it on the sensor as well?
Right now there are some tiny spots in the pictures when i open at f36 but i can't see anything on the sensor.

i am a dust magnet, you can see a pic of my problem in a thread i started recently.

I tried a blower, it only made things worse. My dust doesnt seem to want to blow off. Its stuck onto the sensor pretty good.

I have seen your... Pretty impressive I would say!

The question was, if i see dust in the pictures, shouldn't i be able to see it on the sensor as well?
Right now there are some tiny spots in the pictures when i open at f36 but i can't see anything on the sensor.

I couldn't see the dust on the sensor that was showing up either - I gather they were extremely small particles.

The smaller dust spots still show at f36, but when do you shoot f36 anyways.

I personally use F at 22 and higher (usually 29 & 32) doing long exposures to drop light as I don't have a ND filter currently. This is actually how i picked up the dust in mine in the 1st place as the long exposed pics had the marks and the normal ones didnt.

Sensor dust is a pain. You can't see it with your eyes usually, and that's part of the problem. If blowing it out doesn't work, and you can't seem to get it off, I would just go get it cleaned professionally. The welded on dust , and really stuck on static dust won't even come off with a sensor brush sometimes (I kind of want to get one of those) and has to be wet-cleaned off. There are methods to wet clean it yourself, but I would rather go get it professionally cleaned and not have to worry about anything, since the shop I go to guarantees their work.

On that note, I read that "Eclipse" guarantees your camera if you use their product.

But, since you really don't need to wet clean that often (I've had to do it once, after 2 years of owning the camera, in a dusty house) taking it to a shop may or may not be easier.

Most reactions

Back