robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
linky

scroll down about half way. right above the listings, next to the webcam icon, is a link called "foto." Click that, and the 4 pictures that are displayed are mine. I never got contacted or anything, I just noticed yesterday that 2 people linked to my flickr from that site. interestingggggg.

why would you be pissed? it links straight to my flickr...

they aren't stolen... what am I going to do, tell the guy to take them off of his site or I'll sue? I thought it was every photographer's dream to have his photos admired.

Well if you are cool with it... :thumbup:

...because he has linked them to your site, and your Flikr is open to the public; technically has he done anything wrong? I mean, I don't know the legalese of it. Has he?

I don't know either. I mean, I don't feel like he's taking money out of my pocket, which is the only thing that would bother me. Maybe I'll email them and tell them I'll take more pictures if they want to fly me over there.

Huh...your tags were all that was needed to locate the photos on Flickr. I checked one photo and it was tagged
" kirchberg
austria
skiing
snow
mountains"

Plenty of information for somebody to locate the photos needed.

It's good you want to get your photos out there, and i definitely respect that, but they are using them in what looks like a commercial venture, so you would be in the clear if you did ask for compensation...at least in the USA I believe.

Back in 1989 the United States signed a document known as the "Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works" which, as of September 2008, has been signed by 164 countries making copyright pretty much a worldwide deal.

Is this a commercial website where the guy makes money off of? Or just an informational one?

Its its commercial, he is stealing the images and you should be compensated. If its an information one, in my eyes, its a different story. I've let bloggers use my images without issues, but I would not let commercial ones use them.

If you are happy with the flickr link being the only credit you get, then its all good. They are your images and its your choice to the level of compensation you get. If it were me, I'd prefer a more obvious mention of who the photographer is, directly on his site. If not, then I would ask for compensation. But thats me. :)

Either way, congrats on getting them recognized and used, its always a nice pat on the back

Interesting. This has happened to me a few times. They link to the flickr page, they do not claim ownership of the photos. They do however display the thumbnails on the page that drives their business. Does anyone know for sure what the legal rights are here? I too was excited in the past about my pics being linked to, but I'm not sure that is legally right. Intuitively I would think that a link is fine, but displaying a copy of the picture as the link in any size is not. Does that make sense? Is there a lawyer in the house?
Of course, the issue of what you could actually do about it is a different one entirely. Who has the time and resources to go after anyone linking to your flickr? I think it's a risk we all take if we choose to display anything there.

I had this happen with several shots I'd taken at an Endurance event. An Appaloosa site used small thumbnails linked to my Flickr site.

I did however email the webmaster after a bit of digging, and ask that they give photo credit for the photos they were linking to or remove them.

I got a nasty email back from the person. She would NOT give me credit. IF she had been nice about it, I would have played nice.
I went back to Flickr and made those photos 'private'.
After a few months, I made them public once again.

I do not mind links, but it should be common courtesy to let you know especially if it is being used for info in someone else website.

Just my opinion.

Others have linked with permission.

The funny thing is that I don't even think the pictures are that great.... I mean they're ok, but nothing spectacular. And the house looking thing that I took the pic of is our across the street neighbor's condo. They don't rent it out or anything, so it doesn't really have anything to do with what is on the rest of the site. Very weird.

I was in Austria for new years 2 years ago. I loved it, other than the fact that no one in my family speaks German, and most of the people in the area we were staying in did not speak English. it's gorgeous though.

Most reactions

Back