I took my speed lights off camera, outdoors and heres what happened.

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am so glad I took the advice from several people in my DIY lighting thread to connect my flash units and use a larger light source.

This shoot was a little challenging. I only had one background choice due to the neighbors building a REALLY ugly fence in the yard that I hadn't realized had gone up when I agreed to do the shoot there, and I needed to be far enough from the road to avoid it in the frame, and then I was constantly shifting the lighting setup with the shade as the sun moved. Add to that, a dog running in an out of every shot, as well as a 2 year old doing the same, I was so happy to have the foam core to bounce on, instead of messing with my modifiers that may or may not have hit my subjects as a group. I really only got one chance as the little one was done before we even started.

I should have paid more attention to the ambient light as I wish the background was a little darker in a few of them. However even with 2 flash heads at 1/2 power, my recycle times were not up to par with a toddler.

Anyways! C&C is always welcome, along with tips and trick for the next go around.

*updated these from the original post, with the new editing 10/19 9:20 am

1)
37085013584_01047165fa_c.jpg

2)

37536116760_0578bdebbc_c.jpg

3)
37762569922_9b2986653b_c.jpg

4)
37536112090_f3f536cb98_c.jpg

5)
37085014914_32fda68c8a_c.jpg

Last edited:
turned out GREAT. how exactly did you setup the lighting?

Well, let's see, here....

They're GREAT!

turned out GREAT. how exactly did you setup the lighting?
I was just about to edit the original post thinking I should add that in.

Thank you!

I had a huge foam board, (some kind of housing insulation from home depot) Last time I used it I just used the silver side, but figured it would be too harsh with the speed lights. So, I ended up cutting the foam to fit my favorite shower curtain diffuser, which I used background clips to attach to the foam. (Bonus! The foam now fits in the back of my explorer and I didn't have to borrow DH's truck to transport it!)

That were about 45º or so from the family, and far enough away to keep out of my frame.

2 Speedlights at 1/2 power pointed in the middle of the board.

I clipped my 48 inch 5 in one reflector to a second light stand and put that in as close as possible for fill light.

So...I suppose I basically set it up exactly how I usually do in the studio. So much for creativity, huh? :giggle:

Wow, well done.

I think you did a great job, given the kit and circumstances! I might try pulling down the highlights on the Mom & children a little bit. They seem very fair-skinned and while Dad looks spot-on, they seem a little hot. Something in the 1/3 - 1/2 stop range I'm guessing.

I think you did a great job, given the kit and circumstances! I might try pulling down the highlights on the Mom & children a little bit. They seem very fair-skinned and while Dad looks spot-on, they seem a little hot. Something in the 1/3 - 1/2 stop range I'm guessing.
Thank you!
I see your perspective about the exposure. Believe it or not, I intentionally pulled these up. It gets brought up quite often when I post portraits, so I guess "slightly-over-exposed-skin" is my "style?"

Great shots

Thanks so much, ZombieSniperJr!

Last edited:
I had a huge foam board, (some kind of housing insulation from home depot) Last time I used it I just used the silver side, but figured it would be too harsh with the speed lights. So, I ended up cutting the foam to fit my favorite shower curtain diffuser, which I used background clips to attach to the foam. (Bonus! The foam now fits in the back of my explorer and I didn't have to borrow DH's truck to transport it!)

That were about 45º or so from the family, and far enough away to keep out of my frame.

2 Speedlights at 1/2 power pointed in the middle of the board.

I clipped my 48 inch 5 in one reflector to a second light stand and put that in as close as possible for fill light.

Echoing the others, these are really nice.

• Some questions on your setup. As I understand, you used your shower curtain "on top of" the foam board??? Did you by chance try any with just the silver side???
  • How did you support the foam board modifier?
  • Did you tape the two flash units together as some suggested earlier?

Echoing the others, these are really nice.

• Some questions on your setup. As I understand, you used your shower curtain "on top of" the foam board??? Did you by chance try any with just the silver side???
  • How did you support the foam board modifier?
  • Did you tape the two flash units together as some suggested earlier?

Thank you!

You understood the setup correctly! I needed something relatively sturdy to support the curtain so I clipped it to the board.

I did not take any with the silver side. I've used silver reflectors in the past with natural lighting, and I found it to be quite harsh.

Originally, I had an extra person holding the board. Eventually, he used his ingenuity and propped it up with a couple sticks threaded through the clip handles. If fell over once due to the light breeze.

However I was thinking next time I will try to support it by clipping it to 2 more light stands.

I really hate wasting things, so I did not use tape. My speed lights already have soft velcro on them for modifiers, so I stuck two scratchy strips of velcro each other to help them stick. Then I took this little bungie thing I have...its a bungie loop, with a ball on the end and secured them with that.

I hope that made sense! I can attach pictures if that would clarify anything.

I personally don't mind the skin the way it is... only on the one shot of the husband and wife where there's such a difference between them.

do it! I love behind the scenes shots.

Also, Skin tones? Are they all too pink? I need to invest in a grey card!

@tirediron and @Braineack

I did revisit the brightness, and you are right. It is inconsistent. I am toning down the highlights on the toddler especially. How is this looking in regards to brightness/highlights?

23923198918_ac2f32f1aa_c.jpg

Heres a redo of the family shot. I burned down the little girl on the right (closest to my key light) and dodged the dad to try and even him out.
23923187538_1f10a44a4b_c.jpg

I personally don't mind the skin the way it is... only on the one shot of the husband and wife where there's such a difference between them.

do it! I love behind the scenes shots.
Haha. Originally, I was referring to the way I had my speed lights connected. Although, I am not sure I was very clear on that. But, allright. I am not sure these qualify as "behind the scenes" because I am no longer at the scene, but heres a rough visual, just for you!

37728141986_61270f9fe8.jpg

37518213420_16bf72c09e.jpg

37518212600_12295249b8.jpg

23923540408_0737c5a87d.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back