i wanna get my flash off the camera

Ejazzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot nikon and I have an Sb800. I dont like using commander mode b/c it's not that reliable. So i want something more consistant and start shooting with my flash at a good distance away from me.

Where do i start?

i found one of these pocket wizards
802450 Pocket Wizard MultiMAX Transceiver, Remote Control Radio Slave.
is that what i need? What do i buy to make the flash sync with the pocket wizard?

i'm pretty lost. Flash is just one thing i know nothing about. I tried reading strobist but it didnt really help.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You have several options. I think most (all?) DSLR Nikons will fire off a SB800 as long as there is line of sight to the built in flash.

Pocket wizards ( you need a master and a slave, that's just a slave ) are the expensive option but also VERY good.

Other options are :-

PC leads or similar that provide a wired connection between the camera and the flash.
'ebay triggers' these are the cheapest, they're what I use, BUT sometimes they don't trigger the flash - not usually a problem - just retake the shop.
I THINK there are wireless triggers between the ebays $30 or so and the $300+ of the pocket wizards.

Yeah the sb800 will fire, but i cant always have it right next to me. Having wires is out of the question. im going to be in water. How often do they NOT trigger? I usually only have one chance to get the shot.

Do i need a special kind of tripod?

well, according to some on this forum, if you do the slight modification to the ebay triggers (or cactus triggers) they fire almost every time and from distances of up to 300 feet (or was it 350 feet).

well, according to some on this forum, if you do the slight modification to the ebay triggers (or cactus triggers) they fire almost every time and from distances of up to 300 feet (or was it 350 feet).

358 feet. :D ;)
2680526375_75617b5301.jpg

2680526333_8f9d0b52cb.jpg

The thing is, you must use fresh batteries, you must use the RIGHT kind and length of wire and your soldering must be properly done. To date, when all 3 conditions are met, you get incredible bang for the buck. Skimp out on any one of the aspects, and you are in for a world of pain... lol.

However, if you have a once in a lifetime chance to get a special shot and are getting paid for your photos, there is NO excuse to not be using either Pocket Wizards (you don't need the Multimax ones, the standard PWs are more than enough) or Radio Poppers.

Personally, I'd be looking at the Radio Poppers (as UGLY and poorly designed as I think they are). Wireless TTL is awesome in fast changing and dynamic environments. Because I feel the above are extremely overpriced, and no one is paying me for my photos, and I am getting some very consistent and reliable performance from my Cactus V2s triggers, there is absolutely no reason for me to change at this time.

You need a radio transmitter that attaches to the camera and a radio receiver at the flash. The Pocket Wizards (there is a slightly cheaper version than the one you linked) are transceivers meaning they work as either, but you still need one for the camera, and one for the flash. I think most of the Ebay models come in kits of one transmitter and one or two receivers. The transmitters usually are seated in the camera body hot shoe, but some can also be attached via the pc socket. The receiver is attached to the flash via the pc socket or the flash foot. The cables that come with Pocket Wizards are mini-jack (that's for the socket on the PW) to pc. If you need to attach to the flash shoe a new cord is required. Flashzebra.com has the cheapest ones I've found.

yes you can get lightweight light stands suitable for flashes. I think they work on traditional strobes too but they're very portable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back