I want a new nikon! Which one??

It's not the best camera but I'm willing to bet on user error for lack of sharp images. Practice and make sure you aren't shooing wide open. Use your flash too. It will help in challenging light situations.

Seems like most people missed TS remark about "high iso" when referencing sharp images. With a D3000, noise reduction will kill sharpness at high-isos. The d5100/D7000 are at least 2 stops better in iso performance.

If you don't need the focusing motor, and are happy with the control layout of the D3000, I'd go for the D5100.

Seems like most people missed TS remark about "high iso" when referencing sharp images. With a D3000, noise reduction will kill sharpness at high-isos. The d5100/D7000 are at least 2 stops better in iso performance.If you don't need the focusing motor, and are happy with the control layout of the D3000, I'd go for the D5100.
Depending on what he's shooting, there shouldn't be a need for high ISO especially using a flash. IMHO

sometimes you dont want to use flash. i agree though. iso was one factor i was looking at as far as camera upgrades i ended up just picking up a D7000, keeping my D3000 as a backup. but im loving the D7000 so far. just the fact that all your functions being on the body makes it sooo much easier and quicker to change any setting you want. im loving it. as far as a sharp picture though. u can get quite sharp pictures with a D3000.

Everyone thanks so much for the info...i dont understand why some photographers have to be so sarcastic and rude though....YES my d3000 is not working anymore and like i said i need the best quality at hi iso....thanks everyone else for the infotho! I appreciate it :)

because allot of people tend to think its the equipments fault that they can't get a great picture so instead of learning proper photography they tend to just throw money at equipment hoping the equipment will fix there deficencies. so when they see something like "i need a better camera to take a sharp photo". they tend to jump on the photographer.

Ya thank u, my d3000 is terrible for high iso...i cannot pass 400 because my photos are terrible and a prefer to never use my flash....using the 50mm 1.4 def helps with lighting....but even at its quickest shutter speed i can never increase my iso...

Just an FYI, unless in some situations where you can't use a flash, if you use the flash correctly, it can look light natural lighting.

TMAX 3200 at EI 6400 and developed + pushed 1 stop in Coffee

There are some advantages to the D5100 besides better Video.
B&H body only $647
It is smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the D7000.
The articulating LCD is very good and handy too.
I have both and prefer the D5100 for everything but Event Photography.
What ever you get, invest in a TriPod. Higher resolution shows movement and user error more better.
You might also try increasing your f-stop as much as to f/8 and increase the in camera sharpening a notch or two.
And read your manual cover to cover with the camera in front of you.

Last edited:
Everyone thanks so much for the info...i dont understand why some photographers have to be so sarcastic and rude though....YES my d3000 is not working anymore and like i said i need the best quality at hi iso....thanks everyone else for the infotho! I appreciate it :)

It seems like every forum has someone who has to be sarcastic. I don't know why. These forums should be fun for everyone. Good luck with which ever camera you end up with.

DaveO

Full Frame or bust > get an F100

Actually, to be fair to the OP, as Nikons go the D3000 is pretty poor. I found it to be a lesser camera than the D40. It's low light capabilities are practically non-existant and I could paint the picture before the D3000 manages to finally focus on it.

A second hand D40 or a D90 (or indeed anything in between) would be a significant improvement.

Well, I'm going to recommend either the d5100 or the d7000. Good luck finding a new d7000 as they are on back order with no estimate of when they will be available at just about everywhere. That must indicate something of their popularity among Nikon users. I am using a d5100 right now and will take very usable images at ISO 3200. It really depends on your definition of "usable" though. As to comparing the d5100 body to the d7000, they use basically the same sensor and electronics. The d7000 has a pentaprism finder vs a pentamirror when makes it brighter. The d7000 has more dedicated buttons which makes accessing certain functions faster. The d7000 has an internal focusing motor which makes older Nikon AF lenses fully functional. (I have 3 older ones that won't auto focus on the d5100). The d7000 is weather sealed and the d5100 is not. However, the d5100 has a flip out monitor which makes macro and low angle shots much easier and the d7000 DOES NOT have. The d7000 is going for $1,300 new if you can find one and the d5100 with a 18-55mm 3.5 zoom kit lens is around $750 new.

Both of these bodies will give you what you are after which is better low light performance. The d5100 will be very similar in operation to your d3000 with a big improvement in low light performance. The d7000 will do the same but with some more pro like features and about double the price. (jmho)

Most reactions

Back