I want a new SLR (non-digital)

If you like the look of the Elan 7 (eos 33) you may consider:
  • Elan 7E (eos 30) - The same but with eye control focus point selection
  • Elan 7N/7NE (eos 33V/30V) - the newer versions of the above
You should easily be able to find any of these for less than £250. You can check out the eos range here.

In the canon range you might also consider a used EOS 3 which is an excellent body, 45 point AF, excellent tracking capability, ETTL-II, true spotmeter, interchangeable screens, good viewfinder and myriad of custom functions. I think it also remembers the exposure settings for the last 100 films you used or something like that.

About 300 USD I think... depending on the condition.

Have you looked seriously at the Nikon N90 or F100? And the backwards compatibility of Nikon MF glass might be a factor for you due to there high quality and lower prices. A feature that many overlook on AF bodies using MF lenses is the focus indicator. When correct focus is obtained using MF glass, an indicator lights up in the viewfinder. This helps a lot for those of us with less than perfect eyesight.

Marctwo said:
If you like the look of the Elan 7 (eos 33) you may consider:
  • Elan 7E (eos 30) - The same but with eye control focus point selection
  • Elan 7N/7NE (eos 33V/30V) - the newer versions of the above
You should easily be able to find any of these for less than £250. You can check out the eos range here.

An excellent suggestion. I did just that. Got an Elan 7e for £127 with 28-90mm USM lens. Bargain!

Now i just have to wait a week to take delivery!

Thats 168 long hours of waiting.:x

Yeah I know. Now I just have to work out how to use it!:lmao:

Something about eye controlled focusing and such like.

I'm more used to " turn focusing ring and push shutter release", what have i got myself into???!!!

Can anyone give an honest answer to: How reliable is autofocus?

I always imagined it would be more trouble than its worth.

binglemybongle said:
Yeah I know. Now I just have to work out how to use it!:lmao:

Something about eye controlled focusing and such like.

I'm more used to " turn focusing ring and push shutter release", what have i got myself into???!!!

Can anyone give an honest answer to: How reliable is autofocus?

I always imagined it would be more trouble than its worth.
I'm pretty happy with the autofocus I get with my Pentax. I don't always use it, but I know I can count on it with this camera.

Personally I'd invest in a Canon T90....you can keep your FD lenses, which are pretty good and also pretty plentiful on the used market.

I love the fact that you can take multiple exposures, spot meter from up to 8 or 9 different points, you can take 5fps if shooting action, for me it seems ergonomically perfect, it's robust,has good exposure compensation/shadow & hightlight controls.

The only things that it doesn't have is autofocus, which doesn't bother me personally & you're probably used to manual focus from the T70. I'd love it even more if it would bracket exposures, but again this is no biggie for me.

Go on...buy one! ;)

Doh...guess i was too late...you got the elan...i've just read that after i've posted!!!

How are you finding autofocus? I've been avoiding it as i feel like i'd be cheating on my T90 ;)

laudrup said:
How are you finding autofocus? I've been avoiding it as i feel like i'd be cheating on my T90 ;)

I'm still waiting to get the camera but looking forward to using autofocus.

I've held off for so long on upgrading but i think you can get too stuck in the past.

My T70 will be dipped in gold and put on a pedestal because its been so good to me. Still love it but feel it was time to move on.

I know at some stage i'll go digital but i thought id bring myself upto speed with recent film technology before taking that step.

I've gone for the Elan 7 (EOS 30) because it's the next best autofocus to an EOS 3 or the Holy Grail - EOS 1 (which are out of my price range).

I think, if all goes well, it will be my last film camera but i'm hoping to get a good few years out of it before changing.

And the best thing is........................ it's soooooo shiny!:lol:

Most reactions

Back