I want a new SLR (non-digital)

binglemybongle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I feel the time has come to retire my (very) old Canon T70.

It's done me well and to be honest i'm probably not at a level where a hike in functionality is going to be a great benefit, but hey! I've got money in my pocket and once i get an idea in my head, its difficult to turn away from the temptation.

My basic question is - Which new film camera would people recommend?

Now i've been on TPF enough times now to know i cant leave the question open ended like that. So i will give more details.

-I am looking to spend no more than £250 (about $500?). I know this isnt a massive amount but i'm sure film SLR prices have come down due to the popularity of digital.
-I have stated film and although i know in time i will progress to digital, i'm still in love with film.
-I am looking for an SLR with standard lens to start with.
-Preferences go as far as it must be a well known brand, ie canon nikon etc.
-I will be using for anything and everything. BW and Colour, Portait situations to landscapes, macro (when i have the appropriate kit) and anything else you can think of.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

What about lens? If you switch for the Canon FD mount you will need all new lens. Have you consider that.

- You've been using FD mount manual cameras for a very long time...
- I am assuming you have some FD mount lenses...
- At the present time, it looks like film is where you'll be....

I would recommend going to a reputable used camera shop and search for a T90. It was the last of canon's serious FD mount cameras and a work of art. The T90 was the most advanced in the FD series.... I've come very close to purchasing one a few times.

Jeff Canes said:
What about lens? If you switch for the Canon FD mount you will need all new lens. Have you consider that.

I do have several FD lenses. Im aware i will basically need to re-equip.

This month is the camera and possibly standard lens then over the next 2-3 months ill be investing in various telephoto, wide and macro lenses.

Ill be using the T70 til i get enough equipment to make it my primary camera.

At the moment though im looking for reccomendations on NEW film SLR bodies.

You're getting some very good advice. You can pick up a great film body with lotsa bells and whistles for $500, but lenses must be a factor here.

If you want it to shoot "anything and everything", you'll need not just a "normal" lens (50mm or thereabouts) but you'll eventually want a portrait lens, a moderate telephoto, a wide angle, and some kind of zoom lens (preferably fixed speed). That's a great system you'll be able to take anywhere and use happily for many years. :)

Not to imply you have to come off with all that from the get-go - just something to keep in mind while you're shopping. You want a system you'll be able to build on, with lenses of high quality.

PS I love my Pentax MZ-S. Those Pentax lenses are great!!

terri said:
You're getting some very good advice. You can pick up a great film body with lotsa bells and whistles for $500, but lenses must be a factor here.

I know lenses are a very important part of the camera as a whole and this is part of what i'd want to be taken into account when recommendeing the body or even the manufacturer.

I do want to make a decision that i wont regret and first i need to decide on the body to build on.

As i say, the trusty old T70 will do for the coming 3 months or so while i sort out the basic kit.

As ive not bought a camera for years+, i'm at a loss as to the bells and whistles. This is where i need the reccomendations.
Any website or shop (well most shops) will tell you what you want to hear when looking for a camera.
Im after TPF's user views on current SLR makes and models on offer.

What i need to know is which body provides the best compromise between essential functions, price, base for quality lenses etc.

You are stuck in the the amount of money that you want to spend. You can get a canon elan for w/lens for $400, a rebel w/lens for $200 ora Nikon F80 w/lens for $300. They are pretty much entry level cameras but all should have manual as well full auto control. The lenses are probably going to be more important. The age old debate over Nikon and Canon lenses were , Nikon has better glass and Canon lenses were faster, but if you can tell the difference in normal use more power to you. As for swithing to digital, as of today 10/23/2005, I would say canon has the advantage. (and all the nikons guys will dis agree) Next week Nikon could have the latest greatest thing. I but i buy 2 digital SLR's a year to keep up. So basiclly what Im says is that If you get a Canon or a Nikon you will be happy and join the SLR wars, which the only thing that can compare to it would be the Arms Race of USA USSR.

Well, it's totally up to you as to whether "bells and whistles" have any value.

There are all kinds of crazy things that come under "bells and whistles" that have little to do with routine use. It's nice to be aware of them, but you don't want to be blinded by them and overpay for a bunch of stuff you don't need. You'll surely want the ability to go completely manual, even after paying for those bells and whistles.

I like having a DOF preview button, for instance. Is it always necessary? Not really. But is it a great feature to have when you're composing and choosing exposure settings? Sure! Not all cameras have it.

Do some reading on your own, think about your style of shooting and how whether or not having extra controls will impact your shooting or not. Have a good idea of what's important to you. Stick with a reputable company and think really hard about available lenses.

Admittedly its only been a quick look but why do Canon EF lenses seem to have a minimum fStop of around f2.8?

Im used to being able to achieve f1.4 on manual focus lenses. Even f1.2 at a price, but dont own one.

Is there any reason for this?

binglemybongle said:
Admittedly its only been a quick look but why do Canon EF lenses seem to have a minimum fStop of around f2.8?

Im used to being able to achieve f1.4 on manual focus lenses. Even f1.2 at a price, but dont own one.

Is there any reason for this?

What lenses do you have that have f1.4?

Most of that time I use f2.8 is in sports at a distance, 200mm +. For portrait I shoot at f5.6-8. As for land/cityscapes Im in the f8+. These are not set in stone.

I have the old canon ef 50 f1.0 which I never use on f1.0 but I bought it and I think the quality is not as good as the 50 f1.4. Anyway I also have a 50 f1.4, and it was a great portrait lens on the small sensor digitals. If a majority of you lenses are at f2.8 you will have a good lenses.

binglemybongle said:
there are actually three 1.4s - 50mm, 35mm and 24mm.
then there is also the 50/1.8, 85/1.8 and 85/1.2, if you are in to the wide (aperture, that is) stuff.

I'd go with canon.

The EF mount is closer and has more space for the back element, allowing more room for the lens designers.

Canon has full frame digital sensors

Canon is a better performer at high ISO

If you look at photodo.com ratings, the most of canon glass performs better than nikon.

Nikon is backward compatible with their lenses... but it's not very relevant to you, because you don't have a collection of nikon glass.

I think the best indicator is the number of people that are jumping ship from Nikon to Canon.

Right!

After investigation and taking available money into account, I think its down to either the Canon 300x, 28-90mm inc. or the Nikon F75, 28-100mm inc.

Both are offered at same price, well....

£200 ($345) for the nikon with lens
and £210 ($362) for the canon with lens.

Nikon F75 - http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/filmcamera/slr/2000-2004/f75/index.htm

Canon 300x - http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/slr/eos_300x/index.asp

If it was your choice (all TPF users), which would it be? And no favouritism because of what you already own!!!:lol:

Canon has the advantage of 1/4000 shutter speed when nikon is 1/2000

Both of them are pieces of poop. I'd buy a used Elan 7 for about the same price. Much better body overall.

DocFrankenstein said:
Both of them are pieces of poop. I'd buy a used Elan 7 for about the same price. Much better body overall.

I think i may have been a bit eager to get a new camera. Second hand froma reputable dealer may be a better idea.

Does anyone else have recommendations for the price and similar capability to a Canon Elan 7 ?

Most reactions

Back