I want a "superzoom" "enthusiast" camera that I can carry around town - can anyone ..

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided I don't want a DSLR right now, but rather something I can fully manually control and learn photography basics on. I'd like something close to 20x zoom that is maybe an "enthusiast" camera (whatever that is). I do have a Sony Cybershot right now (DSC H20) that has a 10x zoom, etc, but I don't feel that it's fully manual. I was looking at the Nikon S9400 as it is 20x zoom, 18mp, and can fit in my pocket, but I heard that it's not really an "enthusiast" camera. Can someone point me in a direction?

Does it need to be compact? If not then the Fujifilm X-S1 could be worth a look.

I just added a Canon SX50 to our collection at home, and my daughter takes amazing shots with it. Fully and manually adjustable, 50x zoom, and shoots RAW. We also have a G1X at home, which doesn't have the zoom factor of the SX50, but is more portable than the DSLR kit, and has a DSLR-sized (APSC) sensor.

My brother, recently swapped down from his 5DMk2 to a Canon Powershot G15. It has a fast lens and is programmable. Doesn't have the zoom, but man, he loves the fast lens!

You might also look at the new Canon Powershot SX280. I used the 200, which is about 4 generations old, and it's the camera that I first "loved" to shoot with -- the camera that first made me want to shoot more than just snaps of the kids. 20x zoom, and lots of great features.

Good luck in your purchasing choice ... there really are some good options out there.

Kevin

smartphone
icon10.gif

OP's requirements and constraints pretty much eliminate all/most cameras.

One step at a time.... beginning with ordering your priorities and be willing to give up some.

Probably the hardest requirement is that it must be pocketable.... good quality is often compromised for smaller packaging. This is especially true for optics.

Last edited:
I decided I don't want a DSLR right now, but rather something I can fully manually control and learn photography basics on. I'd like something close to 20x zoom that is maybe an "enthusiast" camera (whatever that is). I do have a Sony Cybershot right now (DSC H20) that has a 10x zoom, etc, but I don't feel that it's fully manual. I was looking at the Nikon S9400 as it is 20x zoom, 18mp, and can fit in my pocket, but I heard that it's not really an "enthusiast" camera. Can someone point me in a direction?

First direction I will point you is to learn more about features. A 1mm to 20mm zoom lens is a 20X zoom. Is that what you want? "Zoom" is a selling ploy.

Second direction. What is an "enthusiast" camera? I have seen many kinds of cameras and owned most of the different types over the years from a box camera (Brownie) to various versions of P&S, Range Finders, SLR/DSLR's to twin lens reflex cameras and larger format cameras. Figure out the real features you need/want and the list will narrow itself down for you.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi snapsnap,

Have you looked at the Panasonic ZS20? (That's what it's called in the US. It's the TZ30 in the rest of the world).

20X zoom, full PASM control for enthusiasts, GPS, 10fps full 14.1MP resolution stills, 1080/60p video and it fits in your pocket (and it's a lot smaller than something like a Canon SX50).

Here is what this camera can do: Flickr: The DMC TZ30 PANASONIC X20 Pool

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Thanks, this may be what I'm looking for! Basically, I want something I can learn on, fully (or close) manual (Does this have manual focus?) and a good zoom (20x will do). Is this a step up (more importantly) than my Cybershot DSC-H20??

Thanks again.

Also, what about the Nikon S9400?? Reviews say that it's aimed at "non-enthusiasts", would this be a good camera for learning about photography?

Thanks, this may be what I'm looking for! Basically, I want something I can learn on, fully (or close) manual (Does this have manual focus?) and a good zoom (20x will do). Is this a step up (more importantly) than my Cybershot DSC-HX20V??

The ZS cameras do not have lens-based manual focus. You can, however, "manually" focus by tapping on your subject on the touch screen.

You would have to step up to the Panasonic ZS30 to match the resolution of your HX20V. This camera is also wi-fi and NFC equipped for easy file transfer to your phone or tablet. You can also control the camera from your Android or iOS device. I have this feature on my Panasonic camera and it is very useful for remote shooting.

Also, what about the Nikon S9400?? Reviews say that it's aimed at "non-enthusiasts", would this be a good camera for learning about photography?

Like your HX20V, the S9400 lacks aperture & shutter priority. Your creativity and learning curve are going to be limited in auto and program modes, in my view.

Again, hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, this may be what I'm looking for! Basically, I want something I can learn on, fully (or close) manual (Does this have manual focus?) and a good zoom (20x will do). Is this a step up (more importantly) than my Cybershot DSC-HX20V??

The ZS cameras do not have lens-based manual focus. You can, however, "manually" focus by tapping on your subject on the touch screen.

You would have to step up to the Panasonic ZS30 to match the resolution of your HX20V. This camera is also wi-fi and NFC equipped for easy file transfer to your phone or tablet. You can also control the camera from your Android or iOS device. I have this feature on my Panasonic camera and it is very useful for remote shooting.

Like your HX20V, the S9400 lacks aperture & shutter priority. Your creativity and learning curve are going to be limited in auto and program modes, in my view.

Again, hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

I have the Cybershot DSC H20, not the HX20V, but I thought that all modern digicams have Ap and shutter Priority? No?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back