I want her face in focus but her feet out of focus

For $199 you can get yourself a workaround that works with any lens :D
Alien Skin Software: Bokeh

It just takes more time in the digital darkroom...

You cold also use a cheaper version of getting the shot at f4.5 and then adding a few layers blurred at different levels and blend them. Cheap man's way.

post-1-1273429414_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Look what I found.

Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens USA $99

These lenses are very expensive.
Not really, but it's relative.

The fast lenses that can open wide and allow for shallow DOF cost from a few hundred to a couple of thousand $$ depending on focal length and aperture.

Here are some good portrait lenses:

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Telephoto Zoom - Telephoto Zoom Lens - EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

and here is the latest and greatest version of the same zoom range:

EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II

another good portrait lens:

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard & Medium Telephoto - Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens - EF 85mm f/1.8 USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

and another:

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Standard & Medium Telephoto - Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens - EF 100mm f/2 USM - Canon USA Consumer Products

Well RumDaddy, I thought I would show you the effect of a 50mm/1.4 under the conditions you described but it is not a success. I got a very reluctant model to come out in the windy 5°C weather. I stood on the picnic table with her next to it & took four shots @ decreasing apertures starting @ f1.4. The problem is that a 50mm on my 2x crop body is like a 75mm lens on your camera. A 35mm would be close but my 35mm only opens to F2.8. Still with this crude sampling you can see the change in the DOF even though it is only a head shot.

1. f1.4

P1020501s14.jpg

2. f2.0

P1020503s20.jpg

3. f2.8

P1020504s28.jpg

4. f4.0

P1020506s40.jpg

I agree with KmH. Get a long focal length lens. Rent one to test before you buy. A ladder will help as well. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back