I want some hardcore critique.

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really don't like this shot, but I feel like I just missed a decent shot. I am just starting out and I want to know what I should have, and could have, done better with this shot. DO NOT HOLD BACK, PLEASE. I need hardcore critique if I ever want to get good at this. Thank you.
82e59hl.jpg

A touch more DOF might have helped it a bit...and a better light on the pill...not as concentrated in one spot...

It's not horrible, though...

DOF is too shallow and the lighting is unnatural. You have a spot on the pill but the light on the bottle appears to come from a different direction. You also totally blew the highlights on the pill. And more fill light in the bg would help.

Damn, thanks for the quick responses guys!

Sideburns, I agree on the lighting being too concentrated. Depth of field, I'm not sure how to improve. Could you give me some pointers?

Max, thanks for your response. I agree on blowing the highlights, I thought I might have done that. And the background is too dark, I agree. Could you tell me how to work on DOF?

Thanks again for your quick replies.

Less harsh light in general will allow you to tone down the exposure on the pill/powder while properly exposing the rest of the shot. Diffuse it.

As for the DOF, the only surefire way would be to bracket, from say 2.0 to 5.6.

Oh, and is that kosher salt? Doesn't quite work. Why don't you actually crush one of the pills? Or at least use something with a more similar texture, like powdered sugar.

Yeah, the texture of the sugar definitely did not turn out how I had hoped it would. I agree 100% about the sugar looking rather bad in this situation. I was lighting the picture with a flashlight. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's sort of a bad idea? What's bracketing? I really don't know much about the technical aspect of photography to be honest.

Bracketing is taking the same shot with different settings. In this case, you're bracketing the aperture (DOF). Shoot at f.2, then the same shot at f2.8.....until you hit f5.6. Then compare and see which one has the DOF you like.

Bracketing is taking the same shot with different settings. In this case, you're bracketing the aperture (DOF). Shoot at f.2, then the same shot at f2.8.....until you hit f5.6. Then compare and see which one has the DOF you like.

I was using my kit lens, the only option available at that length was 5.6. I'm getting two new lenses soon, 60mm Nikkor micro (f2.8) and Nikkor 80-200mm (f2.8). So, those will offer a much better DOF, right?

Well, your problem is that the DOF is too shallow. If your DOF is too shallow at f5.6, then just bracket from there.

Wow, kit-lens at f/5.6 and such a shallow DOF, never had one but surprises me it turned out that way...

Like other guys said, don't move the camera, just smaller the aperture (starting in your case at f/5.6 and go up in the f/# from there, higher f/#=less light comes in=sharper DOF).

Of course you will still have to change your shutter speed to fit the the less amount of light coming in (higher f/#s).

Also keep the ISO-Speed low, to keep the details. With this lightning I'd say 100-200.

And as long as your having a steady underground or Tripod keep playing around until you found the perfect setup....

AND PLEASE...show your results....

(please correct if there were any mistakes in my statements)

Pat

Like other guys said, don't move the camera, just smaller the aperture (starting in your case at f/5.6 and go up in the f/# from there, higher f/#=less light comes in=sharper DOF).
Just to nit-pick, DOF isn't sharp or dull, it's deep or shallow.

Also keep the ISO-Speed low, to keep the details. With this lightning I'd say 100-200.
Pat
You could shoot even slower if you wanted/if that's possible. With controlled lighting and little reciprocity failure, you can shoot as slow as you'd like.

Thanks Max!

good to know that!

I had the rebel and there it was just goin as low as ISO 100....

Which camera is able to go lower than ISO 100?

the only focused object in the whole pic is too near che pic border. The 'sugar bed' IS half out of screen. The other subject, is well centered, but is totally out of focus and still, calls my eye as it is really in the center.
I would have composed differently: pill in a more relevant position, the tube out of focus but not that much, and maybe partially cropped, to force the eyes on the pill again. IMHO. Anyway i tribute you this shot comes from a very nice idea.

Cool picture, but the sugar deff. does not look like the pill when up close. Get realistic with it... get a razor blade on dat'. :mrgreen:

Maybe the pill could be closer to the vile? When I think of a crushed up pill, I think of insufflation... so I'd make a line out of the pill, unless you're trying to get another point across I am not aware of.

Most reactions

Back