I want to be a photographer – or maybe an artist. - small rant

robbins.photo said:
You can frankly piss and moan about stuff like this till you are completely blue in the face and it won't change a thing. We are still going to see several postings this month from the "Hi, just picked up my first DSLR and I've opened my own wedding photography business" crowd. So my only point to you was that maybe that's something you just need to learn to accept, rather than having it be something you apparently let drive you crazy all the time. An assumption on my part, at least to a small extent, but a logical one considering the amazing amount of time you seem to spend bitching on this topic.

I wonder how long before a, "Just picked up my first d-slr!" person needs to wait before self-proclaiming possession of artist status?
At least 3 weeks. That's about the minimum, really.

Ok.. but would that be like three weeks straight? Or can you split that up.. say like do two days this month, and then like 4 days next month.. lol

You'll also note that at least for my part I never once told you that you were wrong, what I did try to tell you in as gentle a way possible was that your point was entirely moot before it was even posted. Since the gentle version was ignored completely and dismissed outright I will take you at your word and assume that your intent here really is one for discussion, the exchange of ideas, and give it to you in the same blunt hard hitting style that you use on so many others, myself included. So, here goes:

You can frankly piss and moan about stuff like this till you are completely blue in the face and it won't change a thing. We are still going to see several postings this month from the "Hi, just picked up my first DSLR and I've opened my own wedding photography business" crowd. So my only point to you was that maybe that's something you just need to learn to accept, rather than having it be something you apparently let drive you crazy all the time. An assumption on my part, at least to a small extent, but a logical one considering the amazing amount of time you seem to spend bitching on this topic.

Your reading comprehension suffers greatly in the face of your urgent desire to appear both witty.
I couldn't give less of a crap about people with new dslrs.
As I said before, I do care that people who both self-promote as artists and who are treated that way by gallery owners are technically inept, thus sabotaging both their own work and the image of photography as an art form.

You'll also note that at least for my part I never once told you that you were wrong, what I did try to tell you in as gentle a way possible was that your point was entirely moot before it was even posted. Since the gentle version was ignored completely and dismissed outright I will take you at your word and assume that your intent here really is one for discussion, the exchange of ideas, and give it to you in the same blunt hard hitting style that you use on so many others, myself included. So, here goes:

Your reading comprehension suffers greatly in the face of your urgent desire to appear both witty.
As I said before, I do care that people who both self-promote as artists and who are treated that way by gallery owners are technically inept, thus sabotaging both their own work and the image of photography as an art form.
Does this mean YOU DO THINK I could get some of my crappiest photos into a gallery?

It's usually from date of purchase, not shutter time. It's not based on experience or skill, of course.

Ok, first we have a supposition without basis in fact. I don't care if I appear witty. If people think I am great, if they think I'm not that's fine with me as well. If I can brighten someone elses day wonderful. If it doesn't work, well I am not lessened for the attempt.

As for my reading comprehension, well I actually have always gotten very high scores on most objective tests I've been given in that regard, far above the national average in fact. I seriously doubt there is anyone here, other than yourself, who wouldn't state that you have exhibited an obvious disdain for people who have little to no experience and who wish to setup a photography business. It is a topic that you have complained about over and over and over again.

But by all means, let us harken back to the sentence you used to close the original post with:

"And perhaps that gets to the crux of it; their behavior, the obviousness of craft or the denial of it, is as damn insulting to me as someone here, having just bought a camera, out looking for work as a wedding photographer."

So if there is a comprehension problem here Lew, well it's in writing comprehension on your end, not reading comprehension on mine.

As for the rest, the solution is simple. Stop patronizing galleries that act that way. Problem solved, happy day, win win, synergy dance. I trust this means you will then cease and desist with all further bitching on both topics?

Lol.. no need to answer that one Lew. I think we both know how likely that is to happen.

Not that anyone cares, but here's my bottom line, then I'm out of this thread.
Lew, Much of your work is outstanding. IMO, National Geographic quality. Some I don't "get" or maybe it just isn't my taste, but a majority I truly enjoy viewing. My only thing is, you seem to have put yourself on a pedestal that's made for one, and you're on it.

A little modesty goes a long way. Done and done.

It's usually from date of purchase, not shutter time. It's not based on experience or skill, of course.

Ok, so then I buy it, toss it in a drawer, come back 3 weeks later and Shablamo! I'm an arteest!

Whacky. Ok, so next important question.. how long to I have to be an artist before I can change my name to an unpronouncable symbol and then have everyone start referring to me as the artist formerly known as robbins? Lol

Ok, so then I buy it, toss it in a drawer, come back 3 weeks later and Shablamo! I'm an arteest!

Whacky. Ok, so next important question.. how long to I have to be an artist before I can change my name to an unpronouncable symbol and then have everyone start referring to me as the artist formerly known as robbins? Lol

There's a bit of a process to the second part. First, you need to buy some horrible V-neck sweaters and turtlenecks. Then get some very pretentious glasses. At this point, refer to yourself only as "Rob," not anything else, no first name, nothing. Just... Rob. Then you have about a year to go and you create your symbol. Introduce your symbol to your public, then wait another year and change your name to it. You will reach your final form when you've changed your name back.

Edit: I forgot the fancy facial hair and not-unique-but-close-enough hat.

"Both witty"?

"Both witty" and... what??

If you're going to slam someone for not being witty, you shouldn't be not witty when you do it...

Artist.......5% Talent.....95% BS.

Craftsman....95% Talent.....5% BS.

Not that anyone cares, but here's my bottom line, then I'm out of this thread.
Lew, Much of your work is outstanding. IMO, National Geographic quality. Some I don't "get" or maybe it just isn't my taste, but a majority I truly enjoy viewing. My only thing is, you seem to have put yourself on a pedestal that's made for one, and you're on it.

A little modesty goes a long way. Done and done.

******Warning: the following posting might be interpreted as a blatant attempt to appear witty*****

I do care Rick. I care very deeply, in fact so much so that I am currently involved in crafting a fiendishly clever trap with which to lure you back into the thread. It involves bacon, a wooden box, a stick, a length of string and a rocket with the word Acme painted prominently on the side.

Lol

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back