I want to be a photographer – or maybe an artist. - small rant

It's usually from date of purchase, not shutter time. It's not based on experience or skill, of course.

Ok, so then I buy it, toss it in a drawer, come back 3 weeks later and Shablamo! I'm an arteest!

Whacky. Ok, so next important question.. how long to I have to be an artist before I can change my name to an unpronouncable symbol and then have everyone start referring to me as the artist formerly known as robbins? Lol

There's a bit of a process to the second part. First, you need to buy some horrible V-neck sweaters and turtlenecks. Then get some very pretentious glasses. At this point, refer to yourself only as "Rob," not anything else, no first name, nothing. Just... Rob. Then you have about a year to go and you create your symbol. Introduce your symbol to your public, then wait another year and change your name to it. You will reach your final form when you've changed your name back.

Edit: I forgot the fancy facial hair and not-unique-but-close-enough hat.

Ok, so the sweaters... purple only? Not that I mind purple but it really doesn't make my eyes "pop"

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

how long to I have to be an artist before I can change my name to an unpronouncable symbol and then have everyone start referring to me as the artist formerly known as robbins? Lol

When you can drive a Little Red Corvette in the Purple Rain.

So forget investing in gold as a hedge against inflation and start buying cocaine instead? Lol

Ok, so then I buy it, toss it in a drawer, come back 3 weeks later and Shablamo! I'm an arteest!

Whacky. Ok, so next important question.. how long to I have to be an artist before I can change my name to an unpronouncable symbol and then have everyone start referring to me as the artist formerly known as robbins? Lol

There's a bit of a process to the second part. First, you need to buy some horrible V-neck sweaters and turtlenecks. Then get some very pretentious glasses. At this point, refer to yourself only as "Rob," not anything else, no first name, nothing. Just... Rob. Then you have about a year to go and you create your symbol. Introduce your symbol to your public, then wait another year and change your name to it. You will reach your final form when you've changed your name back.

Ok, so the sweaters... purple only? Not that I mind purple but it really doesn't make my eyes "pop"

Purple argyle with black turtleneck underneath. In summer. Nobody cares if you're warm. You suffer for your art.

Purple argyle with black turtleneck underneath. In summer. Nobody cares if you're warm. You suffer for your art.

Umm... does this thread count? Lol

HA! Ahem. *inaudible noises* Yes. Indeed. Quite.

i dont know. i asked a business owner today if he needed product photos. Trying to make beer money ya know. He said they didn't they already had too many photos. Apparently they take their own product photos.
'i dunno. i will never be a artist or a pro i cant even make beer money taking photos of trinkets.

i dont know. i asked a business owner today if he needed product photos. Trying to make beer money ya know. He said they didn't they already had too many photos.

The trick is getting him to realize, despite the fact that they have product photos already, that they need yours...

i dont know. i asked a business owner today if he needed product photos. Trying to make beer money ya know. He said they didn't they already had too many photos.

The trick is getting him to realize, despite the fact that they have product photos already, that they need yours...
would be nice. And its a large gun dealer with a website. Gun dealer. No. im not making it up. Gun photos.

Oh, I forgot ...

A thread with labeling of other individuals and ascribing characteristics to them based upon overgeneralization. [check]

7 pages...
That's it, the steam is released. With 105 likes (more ?) and 174 responses discussion petered out. :D
Conclusions ?

yeah, it was a total waste of time. entire thread

would be nice. And its a large gun dealer with a website. Gun dealer. No. im not making it up. Gun photos.

Well, I guess I'll have to take your word on that.

'Cause, you know, we won't be havin' none of that here!

I tried persuading a local consignment shop that they needed my services. The truth is, they need someone's, and I happened to be there. The product photos they post are absolutely HORRIBLE. I mean half of them aren't in focus. I told them that their products online would command a LOT more attention if they were given a good professional product photo treatment, even told them the stories of some of the things I've sold, showed them samples that they agreed were much better, and they promptly told me "Photos don't matter. That's not what sells things." To which I replied oh wait I didn't have a comeback for that one.

NEWSFLASH............Lew is angry all the time,and that ok.

Not true.

Between 3:00 AM and 7:26 AM, I am totally cooled out.

Too cool Lew, what I like about typing at you, you tell like you see it, no bull crap. Though I don't always agree with you point of view I always appreciate your opinion. Being a young (based on perspective) man with a camera, you half always given solid perspective.

I tried persuading a local consignment shop that they needed my services. The truth is, they need someone's, and I happened to be there. The product photos they post are absolutely HORRIBLE. I mean half of them aren't in focus. I told them that their products online would command a LOT more attention if they were given a good professional product photo treatment, even told them the stories of some of the things I've sold, showed them samples that they agreed were much better, and they promptly told me "Photos don't matter. That's not what sells things." To which I replied oh wait I didn't have a comeback for that one.

Easy enough, issue them a challenge. Have them put up one ad of a product with their photo, and another of the exact same product with one of your photo's, and see which one sells faster and for more money.

Oh, I forgot ...

A thread with labeling of other individuals and ascribing characteristics to them based upon overgeneralization. [check]

7 pages...

So your point is to come in here and make yourself look so much better than us by being cynical?

As a moderator you really should try not to be such an asshat.

No.

My point is that you, of all people, should know full well that threads like this are unconstructive and lead to infighting and just all around negativity.

I'll ignore the asshat thing. Really, Lew.

Most reactions

Back