My friend and I were in your shoes about 2 years ago. we were both looking at an entry model DSLR. He got the Rebel and I went one up and got the Cannon 40D. Today, I'm looking to get the MarkII and his rebel is collecting dust. Quality wise, the 40D is built better with better materials. It feels solid in my hands and although they have the same sensor(I think) the pictures from the 40D come out noticeably better. Also the 40D gives you room to grow where as the rebel seems to be a point-and-shoot with the option to change lenses(IMHO). And for me, the look and feel of the 40D gives me more confidence to go out and take pictures because it looks like a professional camera. So my recommendation is to go to the $1,500 price point. but if your comparing the T1i and D5000, your splitting hairs and your never going get a good answer. You need to look at price points and look toward the future to decide if your going be a Cannon or a Nikon person. Your investment is not in the body but in the lenses. If your just going to take pictures of your kids and family and you are not really looking to upgrade, then the sub $1000 cameras are fine. But if your looking to shoot art, then look at the cameras in the mid $1000. You will out grow the rebel very quickly.