I want to buy a dSLR... No BS what takes the best picture Canon EOST1i or Nikon D5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
This D5000 is like haunting me.. but I can't justify spending that much! UGH :(

anything to say about the one thing every review brings up that the Canon has 15.1 megapixels ?

You wont notice the difference in mega pixels unless you do some heavy cropping.

This D5000 is like haunting me.. but I can't justify spending that much! UGH :(
Do what I do, just buy it. :)

Absolutely no help! lol This is my usual problem :( I want, so therefore I buy.
FWIW, I was in about the same situation and just pulled the trigger on the D5000 refurb with 18-55 kit lens from Adorama. With Bing cash back the total came to about $508. I also plan to get the 55-200 lens (also refurb from Adorama) which is currently $159 and is well reviewed by Ken Rockwell and others. It seems to me like a great package for well under $700. I read enough feedback on refurbished products from Adorama to feel comfortable, plus you can return them for a full refund within 14 days.

Good luck in your decision.

Do what I do, just buy it. :)

Absolutely no help! lol This is my usual problem :( I want, so therefore I buy.
FWIW, I was in about the same situation and just pulled the trigger on the D5000 refurb with 18-55 kit lens from Adorama. With Bing cash back the total came to about $508. I also plan to get the 55-200 lens (also refurb from Adorama) which is currently $159 and is well reviewed by Ken Rockwell and others. It seems to me like a great package for well under $700. I read enough feedback on refurbished products from Adorama to feel comfortable, plus you can return them for a full refund within 14 days.

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks, its something to think about.. and I'm trying to hold off on purchasing for another week or two so I know I'm not just impulse buying. Too much time to think could be bad for my bank account though.. lol I can't help but be overly skeptical about refurbished items. :raisedbrow:

go with a used XXD series instead of the t1 if you go the canon route. you can compare the feel of them at your local camera shop. Sorry if i side track your thread.

i personally hate the whole camera war and the "what camera is better?" thing. the quality of the image relies heavily on the person holding the camera IMO. It comes down to what is more comfortable to you. Knowing how a camera works and why different settings give you different outcomes is, to me, more important than how many megapixels a camera has. I use a d40. and trust me, i get a lot of crap for that (from both nikon and canon ppl) but for my first dslr, i am 100% happy with it. im not making any huge prints or shooting for magazines, so the low mp doesnt really bother me. i wouldnt get anything above 1000 like someone said, especially if you don't know what iso, aperture, or shutter speed are and how they interact with eachother. but this is all my opinion. also keep in mind the lenses that you will buy because they will out live the body you get if you take care of them.

that being said...get the nikon :lol:

which is currently $159 and is well reviewed by Ken Rockwell and others.
From this point forward, please ignore everything that Ken Rockwell says or does. His site is a self admitted joke. The man routinely "reviews" products he's never touched in real life.

His site is to be taken about as seriously as one might take The Onion as a serious news site.

i personally hate the whole camera war and the "what camera is better?" thing. the quality of the image relies heavily on the person holding the camera IMO. It comes down to what is more comfortable to you. Knowing how a camera works and why different settings give you different outcomes is, to me, more important than how many megapixels a camera has. I use a d40. and trust me, i get a lot of crap for that (from both nikon and canon ppl) but for my first dslr, i am 100% happy with it. im not making any huge prints or shooting for magazines, so the low mp doesnt really bother me. i wouldnt get anything above 1000 like someone said, especially if you don't know what iso, aperture, or shutter speed are and how they interact with eachother. but this is all my opinion. also keep in mind the lenses that you will buy because they will out live the body you get if you take care of them.

that being said...get the nikon :lol:
I stopped reading your post at "I use a D40".

:lol:

lol i have heard that before. is it the best camera? no. but i have learned so much with it. and i have already started saving for a new camera (d700) and i figure that by the time i feel i have outgrown the d40, i will have the money for the d700. but it makes no sense to get something that is pro-quality when you don't know how to use it.

I can't help but be overly skeptical about refurbished items. :raisedbrow:
With regards to cameras, buying refurbished (factory) from Adorama is 100% safe. The camera will be as new. It will have a better chance of not having a factory defect as only a fraction of the bodies produced actually are tested for quality. If you buy a factory refurb from Adorama the camera will have been completely checked out and calibrated by a factory tech. It will be packaged as if it were new (box will be different). It will have a warranty, Adorama gives one full year on factory refurbs the last I heard. It will also look brand spanking new, no marks or dings. You won't be able to tell it from any other new body in a line-up.

I bought a factory refurb from Adorama and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back