I want to buy my 1st dslr

On the canon side of the fence
There is are a number of debates on mount type and mirrorless
I use a crop sensor canon and for that I can get a huge range of efs (for crop sensor) and ef ( for full frame) lenses
There is an adapter for the r mount but for me I have used the mirrorless and did not like it. Just the way I work

I agree, DSLR's are not the future

mirrorless is better and mirrorless can use DSLR lens

Well, if the OP really wants to learn photography and how a camera and light works, go for an old manual film camera. It will teach all the basics, which them makes using a digital camera a lot easier. Granted, it's a lot more expensive....

That is how I started, on a Minolta. I still like shooting film from time to time.

Well, if the OP really wants to learn photography and how a camera and light works, go for an old manual film camera. It will teach all the basics, which them makes using a digital camera a lot easier. Granted, it's a lot more expensive....

That is how I started, on a Minolta. I still like shooting film from time to time.

it's like:

Q: I want to start shooting, what gun you would recommend to me to start with.
A: Start with muzzle-loaded muskette ..

I have nothing against analog film cameras .. I have several of them but the path to them for newcomers in the digital age should be exactly opposite .. If they will like photography, they will try that out afterwards if they will feel a will/need to do so ..

I started with a film camera, too.
The reason being that digital cameras didn't exist yet.

I have always felt that a digital camera is a far better tool to learn photography on. The feedback is essentially instant. You can see what you have produced right there and then without waiting to get film developed and then hoping you remember what you did be it right or wrong.

Since you want to know if a camera feels right in your hands (and that's important) I suggest you go to a local camera shop and have a nice, lengthy talk to the people working there and hold the cameras in your hands. Ask a lot of questions about how how the camera functions, etc. because you don't want something that's going to be a pita to operate. Other than that, read peoples reviews on cameras that you are considering and see what they have to say. Many times they've saved me from making bad choices. Owner reviews can be a great resource for info. GL!

If you WANT a Canon T7i, why are you asking for advice that may take you to a different camera?
Will you be happy with something else, or will you still be wanting the T7i?

You have not stated what your budget is, other than "not enough."
Anything that we recommend may or may not meet your undisclosed budget.

avoid ebay and anything used online UNLESS it came through the FACTORY REFURBISHMENT CENTERS..

ONLY way to be sure it will be good to go

Never had an issue with any photographic equipment I've had off Ebay. You're pretty well covered as a buyer if you are unlucky enough to get a dud.

I started with a film camera, too.
The reason being that digital cameras didn't exist yet.

I have always felt that a digital camera is a far better tool to learn photography on. The feedback is essentially instant. You can see what you have produced right there and then without waiting to get film developed and then hoping you remember what you did be it right or wrong.

I started with film in the 70's when I was a kid. Then had a very long hiatus from serious photography for several decades and then slowly got back into it digitally. The one thing about film is that it instills planning and discipline. You have 36 shots, so you better make each count, and you can't tell if you got the shot until you go to the lab.

Our community center has a photo lab and there are courses available. If someone is truly interested in learning from the ground up they might find a film photography course very interesting and fun. But, it is not for everyone and I think more recent generations that are accustomed to instant gratification may find it tedious.

Regarding film vs. digital.
Digital shortens the feedback cycle. IMHO, that helps learning.
If I can shorten the feedback cycle to the point that my student can take corrective action, that helps learning.
As @photoflyer said, back in the film days, the feedback cycle was maybe a week. Way too long after the event ended, to take corrective action. By then many students have forgotten most of the details of the shoot.

Film or digital, IMHO, if the photog does not plan, the odds of getting good pics goes down.
I try to drum this into my students heads. But it seems that many teenagers today, just don't listen. They go off and do what they want, by the seat of their pants, making the exact mistakes I warn them about. sigh

The OP has not been back since his OP almost two months ago.
I would have thought he would be back often, at least weekly.
I wonder if he values the input we have given?

The OP has not been back since his OP almost two months ago.
I would have thought he would be back often, at least weekly.
I wonder if he values the input we have given?
p[erhaps as no one offered the OP a free camera and lens.... perhaps we shall never see them back?

Just bought a Nikon refurb D3400 for wife to learn on, 35 clicks, looks brand new, OP, if you're still out there...camera, 18-55 kit lens, batt/charger and strap...not cheap @ $399.95, but exactly what I wanted for her...and nice to have as a back-up. Wife is a total novice, oh, and it doesn't matter if SLRs are not the future...our future is behind us.

edit: purchased from NikonUSA.

Last edited:
Just bought a Nikon refurb D3400 for wife to learn on, 35 clicks, looks brand new, OP, if you're still out there...camera, 18-55 kit lens, batt/charger and strap...not cheap @ $399.95, but exactly what I wanted for her...and nice to have as a back-up. Wife is a total novice, oh, and it doesn't matter if SLRs are not the future...our future is behind us.

edit: purchased from NikonUSA.

compare the camera to the canon product called the canon "t-100".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back