I want to buy my 1st dslr

Noel R

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which brand and type of camera should I buy? I am planning to take it seriously, but don't have enough budget. Plus I hadn't hold dslr before. But I am constantly learning from online free course. I wanted canon T7i. I want to focus on nature and portrait and eventually buy macro lens. Thanks guys.

Any entry level consumer dslr are good. Nikon or Canon.

Any of the major manufacturers make a model that will allow you to learn and grow. But all the smartest and best looking photographers use Nikon...

Consider buying used if your budget is limiting factor. Between eBay, Craigslist, and a score at an estate sale, almost all my gear was bought used.

If budget is an issue I'd consider buying a used full frame dslr instead buying a new cropped sensor. Lots of people seem to be moving to mirrorless so you should be able to grab a good deal somewhere.

Lots to choose from on eBay and Amazon, good luck.....

Which brand and type of camera should I buy? I am planning to take it seriously, but don't have enough budget. Plus I hadn't hold dslr before. But I am constantly learning from online free course. I wanted canon T7i. I want to focus on nature and portrait and eventually buy macro lens. Thanks guys.

Hi Noel,

Ok, a few questions:

Do you have large hands or smaller hands? This can have an impact on choosing a comfortable camera (for instance, I have very large hands, which makes using a Nikon D3300 a not so easy experience).

What region of the world are you in?

As was already mentioned, if you are new to photography and have never had a DSLR before, I would look for an inexpensive used camera (Nikon or Canon are both good).

Cheers,
FB

I buy a lot of my gear used from KEH.com. They have a great rating system, a 14 day return policy and a warranty. Look for equipment in Excellent condition or above. As for what camera, all manufactures have entry level cameras. Others have suggested you buy gear that feels comfortable in your hands. I recommend you buy something that is more applicable to what you plan to shoot. You can buy general purpose cameras, but if you are shooting mainly landscapes you will want a higher resolution sensor. If shooting wildlife / birds / sports you will want something with a higher frame rate and better low light performance. You first decision is whether to go with a dslr or mirrorless. Many are trading in their dslrs to go to the hot new mirrorless technology, so there is a lot of very good dslr gear at great prices out there. I suggest you look at Fujifilm, Nikon and Canon cameras. Others are very high on Sony and they make some great innovative cameras, but their menu system just plain sucks and may be confusing to a beginner.

First, lenses are more important than the body. Figure out what lenses you will need to shoot your interests and then buy the lenses that match.

For example, a very affordable lens for portraits is the Canon 50mm f 1.8. New it is only $125 US. Nikon has an equivalent.

Next, get the body that works with those lenses and used is a great way to go. For example a used Canon 5D Mark II is a professional grade full frame. Yes, it is at least ten years old but it will still be capable taking the same spectacular photos today that it took back then... for only a few hundred dollars.

Mark sure you know the difference between full frame and crop sensor. One is not better than the other, they are simply different tools. Most consumer grade cameras are crop sensor and most higher end cameras are full frame.

I have a T7i that I got for business travel along with a Tamron 18-400mm super zoom. Very capable, very flexible. Certainly not professional grade but a good all-in-one way to start.

Sony, Canon, Nikon, Lumix... they are all capable. Get the best lenses you can afford that fit what you want to shoot and match them to the brand/body.

This thread reminded me that I had not yet pulled this photo off the T7i. It was taken today with the Tamron 18-400 super zoom I mentioned above. I keep a camera next to me on my desk in case anything interesting happens in the backyard during the day.

IMG_2759Cardinal1.jpg

Sorry to others here for this
But I am going to have to say Do Not buy from E bay or the like
As more experienced users we know some of the things to look for in a camera and some of the warning signs
That a newbi may miss I have seen mid range canons sitting in non camera shop windows with no body cap
Just letting all the dust bugs/flys get into the body

Yes agree go down the used market but go for camera shops even if they are on line
Yes you can get good deals from e bay and the like however non every deal is what it seems
I have bought used from e bay and I have a got a good deal I also have been caught out
Think of it this way
Yep it’ looks like a good deal Am I prepared to just throw that amount of cash away if it’s not

Sorry to others here for this
But I am going to have to say Do Not buy from E bay or the like
As more experienced users we know some of the things to look for in a camera and some of the warning signs
That a newbi may miss I have seen mid range canons sitting in non camera shop windows with no body cap
Just letting all the dust bugs/flys get into the body

Yes agree go down the used market but go for camera shops even if they are on line
Yes you can get good deals from e bay and the like however non every deal is what it seems
I have bought used from e bay and I have a got a good deal I also have been caught out
Think of it this way
Yep it’ looks like a good deal Am I prepared to just throw that amount of cash away if it’s not

Indeed! You can get scammed on eBay. I have been burned when purchasing lenses a few times on similar auction sites...

Hello,

a lot has been said above ... asking question like this won't bring you perfect answer .. there are more factors with the single most important that is budget, planned expenses and planned expansion in the lens field ...

in general, I would suggest going with Nikon or Canon as with first DSLR .. because of the most widespread mount (nikon F rules on this field, it has same mount for FX and DX cameras) a wide choice of available lenses (new and used) ..

somebody above suggested to go for used full frame .. I absolutely disagree .. FX lenses are more expensive and the only remarkable difference is low light performance (assuming everybody can buy wide zoom lens for DX) ..

Buy mirrorless. Canon has stated it will no longer be developping dSLRs. So if you want to be more "future proof", invest in a mirrorless system.
Canon R or some entry level Sony.

I'd avoid Nikon mirrorless these days, they are lagging behind the other 2.

Buy mirrorless. Canon has stated it will no longer be developping dSLRs. So if you want to be more "future proof", invest in a mirrorless system.
Canon R or some entry level Sony.

LOL, now I understand why you did your disagree revenge in this post :D ... let me explain why .. I didn't like this your statement

because it's against netiquette and fair and friendly and collaborative atmosphere here on the forum .. it's your own opinion NOT backed up by any meaningful resource and you should think twice before posting such a statement next time ... your little revenge is pathetic (unless you really don't know what AP/Focal length/ISO equivalence is)

Last edited:
Look into Nikon D3500 kit, I'm sure Canon has a similar product. You can get a great buy with either and will cost less than 500 bucks. Bonus: A virtual cornucopia of lens and other gear, both brands, new and used from reliable sources. Good luck and welcome to photography.
As a beginner I'd at first advise B&H or Adarama as a good place to start looking; they simply stand behind whatever they sell. New or used. Strictly used? Look into KEH.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back