I wonder why...

Puscas, nothing, forget it man (they will throw me out of the forum if I start giving examples :mrgreen:).

Alex, I wish my pics provoked such heated discussions ;)

Alex_B said:
"suck" is a word I would only use regarding my very own pictures ;)

I'd say the same about my own... that is why I post here... so that my "suck"ing pictures will turnout better the next time I take a picture. Here's a couple were I got blasted... I diserved it and I loved the feed back that I got... cause next time I'll try to fill in the empy space, stop cutting important things out, stop blowing out highlights, and many other things. Granted it won't happen overnight but I'm glad for all those comments.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64136

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64134

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64102

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64138

I didn't get many praises in these... They all told me (in a nice way) that the pictures "suck"ed...

I will agree with the rest of the members here. This forum is a place to learn. It offers a sample from beginners to professionals. Thats what makes it great! I dont post to get positive feedback. I post to get advice, what could I do next time to make it better.

No one is going to rip apart a shot, becasue everyone has the oppotunity to do better. This forum offewrs the advice to make that shot better. I can positively add this forum as being one of my resources for improvement (and inspiration!)

Mitake, I accept your critisism of how this forum seems to work in your eyes, for if this is what you think then this is what you think (even if you only think this for the brief moment of having been really tired after a hard day).

But I don't think that your critisism is well founded.
Go look at other forums where there is NOT ONE WORD of critisism ever spoken to ANY of the photos presented, where everyone just praises any photo to the skies to underline their great friendships among each other and you will know what "no critisism at all" means.

But we clearly observe that all critisism is spoken in courteous manners.
And to look at a photo that does not appeal to us personally because it is far away from our style, or that does show technical imperfections because a) those were intended and thought over and used as a means of self-expression or b) because the (still budding?) photographer did not know any better (as yet) and to then say "Blah, this one sucks" does not help anyone.

Agreed: when someone posts a technically, compositionally or otherwise quite flawed photo with the introductory words "I think this one is my best so far", also I am at a loss of words sometimes and really no longer know what to say. To critisise an inflated ego will certainly lead to friction for that person (I am not thinking of anyone in particular at all!) will feel personally attacked. That situation could become tricky.

All in all though I feel that I often express in my comments when I am not too happy with something that shows in a photo. I prefer to "shroud" my critisism in questions to the poster, though, to make them think ("Wouldn't if have been better if ...?") . I guess that helps a lot more and does not leave bad feelings per part of the author of a (bad/not to my taste <- there is a difference!) photo.

There is an old saying. "If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all". There are alot of people on here that take the time and try and help others improve by giving positive reinforcement. Some advice is good and some not so good. But the intentions are the same. Most people know positive reinforcement works the best. So yes maybe the picture "sucks" as a whole but maybe composition was good. Or composition was bad but focus on a macro was very good. There are many variables. Nobody is an Ansel Adams from the first shot! It takes practice and learning new ideas and even theorys. The forums on the internet is a great way to get constructive critisim.

Would you tell your mother her dinner sucked? I would wager not. It has to do with respect. Honey vs vinigar and all the other sayings.

Most reactions

Back